U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 PM

222 posts, read 759,477 times
Default FBI STATISTICS: Violent crime in LV keeps growing

Fueled by spikes in robberies and aggravated assaults, violent crime last year jumped more than 32 percent in Las Vegas and unincorporated Clark County, according to FBI statistics released Monday.

Henderson and North Las Vegas police saw their own violent crime rate surges of 15 percent and 12 percent, respectively. The numbers dwarf the national average of a 1 percent climb in the violent crime rate per 100,000 residents.

ReviewJournal.com - News - FBI STATISTICS: Violent crime in LV keeps growing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM

2,453 posts, read 5,315,804 times
Did it say that property crime is down in the same study?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,788 times
Good lord! I'm tired of you guys complaining about the crime rate of Las Vegas! I happen to be moving there - partly because the crime in my city is out of control! In a city of 1.2 million, what do you expect? I would expect a certain amount of crime in "Sin City".

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

305 posts, read 605,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajackson View Post
Good lord! I'm tired of you guys complaining about the crime rate of Las Vegas! I happen to be moving there - partly because the crime in my city is out of control! In a city of 1.2 million, what do you expect? I would expect a certain amount of crime in "Sin City".
New York City, 8 million residents and low crime. Safest big city in the country! Vegas reminds me of the NYC of the 1970's and 1980's.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

15,380 posts, read 22,535,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
New York City, 8 million residents and low crime. Safest big city in the country! Vegas reminds me of the NYC of the 1970's and 1980's.
Naw.....we haven't had any GOOD mob shootings in years

Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,288,523 times
Quote:
you'll note it is only a few who are doing the complaining....

Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 AM

12,252 posts, read 16,631,156 times
Quote:
And the ones who have deided to move there just don't want to here anything negative about their perceived view of the area. Those are the ones that make up the 3,000 out each month. They arrive thinking its something that it isn't.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 PM

8,792 posts, read 14,929,115 times
Maybe the ones moving here don't want to hear the negatives like you said jfk. But there are those that have moved here and those that don't live here blowing things all out of proportion.
Alot of people move here without an education, no work experience, maybe a felony in their past, then they complain constantly how Las Vegas sucks, they can't find work, housing costs too much in a 'good' area, they are stuck in the ghetto, the list goes on. You can usually find them posting things like how can they get work in vegas, and they have every other word misspelled. And then they throw in their post how highly educated they are. lol (yeah, right)

What we need are more educated people moving here and people with a nice positive outlook on life. If only 3,000 illiterate one's would move out a month, that would help considerably.
Crime here is mild compared to alot of other big cities. There is crime everywhere, not just here.
Go hang out on some of the other states here in city-data. Try Detroit for awhile. Or east L.A. Now that's a fun board.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 AM

229 posts, read 579,603 times
I find it funny that as soon as crime is mentioned here, the typical response is, "hey, crime was much higher in (fill-in-the-blank) than it is in Las Vegas," or "if you think Las Vegas is bad, try Detroit or SoCal, or St. Louis, ect." Yeah, we know other places have higher criome rates than here, and you are always safe at your strip mall, neighborhood, park, etc. A 30% rise in violent crime over one year is not good, and shouldn't be shrugged off by all the kool-aid drinkers here. Crime is a serious concern in LV (like it does in many places, I know) and it appears to be growing at a pace that is outpacing the rate of other things in the valley. I don't know Detroit, never lived in SoCal. I was born here, this is my home. I think that crime in the valley is a major issue and it is appearing to be worsening very rapidly. People looking to move here should know all that "Vegas Baby!" b.s. comes with a price. I guess that since I (thank God) haven't been the victim of a violent crime, I should be saying that it isn't bad. Since crime is worse in Detroit, I guess I can start leaving my doors and windows unlocked. I've always wanted to see D St. and Owens at night. I think I'll take a stroll tomorrow night...

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM

2,453 posts, read 5,315,804 times
Yeah, people compare it to where they come from because remember that Las Vegas is a town where everyone moves to. So they compare it to their former city. A lot of us think its an upgrade to live here, some think its a downgrade. Crime is a concern, but should we buy bullet proof vests and hide in our house? I still pick Vegas over SoCal or D.C. I feel for you though being born here and seing your city change, but it happend to me too, that's why I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas