Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM

421 posts, read 898,035 times

Advertisements

We used upak.com and laborers from Home Depot and could not have been happier. They deliver the trailer (28 feet) or cubes and you have up to 3 days to load. They then drive it to your destination and you have up to 3 days again to unload. Very reasonable and actually cost us less than U-Haul because you are not paying for gas, just the flat rate. They will give free estimates on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 AM

932 posts, read 2,346,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I used "Warren's Homework" for a local move and they were great. Someone on C-D recommended them.
That might have been me.

The best thing about Warren's is their reliability. If they say they're going to be there at 7:30 a.m., they're there at 7:30 a.m. Having dealt with several contractors to whom an arrival time is "give or take an hour," I gave Warren's major bonus points for their punctuality. And once they got there, they were all business.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 AM

611 posts, read 950,382 times
Congrats Constricageorge! No matter how old we are are and how many houses we have bought, it is always the most exciting thing to have those keys turned over to a new home. I don't know where you are moving from but enjoy that sun shining every morning.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM

261 posts, read 422,735 times
Would you mind telling us what you paid or a range of prices you were looking at? What size was the house?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM

261 posts, read 422,735 times
After doing about 5 minutes of research I have found 6 houses that closed in the past 8 days (from 6/13) in 89074. I am not going to post them because I don't think Costaricageorge wants us to know where he lives and since he has been nice enough to give us some details about his purchase.

I will tell you the $/sq.ft. 98, 92, 81, 72, 69, 69. All were 4 bdrm, 2+ bth except for one which was 3 bdrm- also the highest $/sq.ft. The prices range from 334k to 174K.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
Congratulations and enjoy it!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,149,718 times
When someone says that they just purchased a new home in (any 5 digit area code), 99% of the time I have to go to Google and look it up. Why can't we use land marks(airport/Gold Coast), major cross streets or even directions like northeast, southwest...etc?

Any way, congrats.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM

20 posts, read 38,394 times
We just moved to Las Vegas last week. We packed and hauled our own stuff and then got two workers from the state run casual labor office to unload. I didn't like the idea of just picking up two guys off a street corner. The workers were great and the office was very accommodating. It's $10 per hour with no taxes involved. I would use them again anytime. It's going to take some time to get used to this heat. This is their web site. Employment Security Casual Labor page

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
Congratulations! If you move yourself, I suggest Budget Truck Rental instead of U-Haul. The US Post Office, in their change of address packet, used to have a discount coupon for them. If you do a google search on the LA Times website for U-Haul, you'll find a 3 day in-depth series on severe maintenance issues with U-Haul equipment across the nation (people died). It was published several years ago (5?) but I don't think U-Haul has improved much in the interim.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
Prior to interviewing & hiring a moving company, I suggest going to the Better Business Bureau website to look for ratings of moving companies. See the number of complaints etc.

There are two types of moves: interstate and intrastate. Interstate (starting in one state and ending in another) is regulated by several agencies of the federal government. Intrastate (which you will be doing - starting and ending in the same state) is not regulated by the federal government. A mover can be great on one and suck on the other.

There is a ton of bad business practices & even outright fraud in the intrastate business as it isn't as tightly regulated -- for example, you contract with company A, who in turn sells your contract to company B, who hires independent truck driver C, who goes to Sunstate Nursery & picks up day laborers & says "here - wear these Logo T-Shirts that say Company A", and they pack your stuff up & then hold your stuff ransom for more money, etc.

Spend some time on google finding out who in Nevada actually regulates moving companies & what ratings they have on the companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: