U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM

547 posts, read 429,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Just hang some frozen freezee bags in front of your vents!

Remember though that A/C is only truly capable of cooling around 15-20 degrees of outside temperature on a regular basis.

FWIW, rather than the whole misty contraption one of you rigged up...wouldn't this have been easier?

It doesn't mist my face......

It mists the condenser (Its in front of the radiator), to cool down the liquid refrigerant in the AC system, so it makes the evaporator colder....making the air blowing on my face colder....

I don't care to give you a thermodynamics lesson on an internet forum, but I bet UNLV has a class you can take

Also, a lot of car manufacturers do make "super" ac systems an option...for cars they sell in the middle east. They either have super size compressors and condensers, or even 2 separate condensers. No idea why its not available here. There are also a few refrigerants that are more efficient than the r134, but they are all illegal in the USA. However, most car makers are using them in other parts of the world. Not only do they cool better, but they are require less pressure to perform. That means the compressor has to work less, thus not dragging the engine as much (Better fuel mileage). The "green" EPA/US government is always 1 or 2 steps behind. We're still going strong with R134, while the rest of the world moves on.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20070905/ane01/70905003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 PM

3,870 posts, read 1,832,926 times
No need for lessons... I was attempting to give one... in humor...I guess I failed!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 AM

6,016 posts, read 4,426,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
It doesn't mist my face......

It mists the condenser (Its in front of the radiator), to cool down the liquid refrigerant in the AC system, so it makes the evaporator colder....making the air blowing on my face colder....

I don't care to give you a thermodynamics lesson on an internet forum, but I bet UNLV has a class you can take

Also, a lot of car manufacturers do make "super" ac systems an option...for cars they sell in the middle east. They either have super size compressors and condensers, or even 2 separate condensers. No idea why its not available here. There are also a few refrigerants that are more efficient than the r134, but they are all illegal in the USA. However, most car makers are using them in other parts of the world. Not only do they cool better, but they are require less pressure to perform. That means the compressor has to work less, thus not dragging the engine as much (Better fuel mileage). The "green" EPA/US government is always 1 or 2 steps behind. We're still going strong with R134, while the rest of the world moves on.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20070905/ane01/70905003
Hey, I have a question. (Yeah, I could have DM'ed you, but I'll bet others would like to know the answer.)

Lately, my truck's AC has been failing when I'm idling at a stoplight. The AC blows nice and cold when I'm moving. But sometimes (and not all the time), it blows warm air when I'm stopped at a light.

What's the fix for that?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 AM

2,400 posts, read 3,834,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Lately, my truck's AC has been failing when I'm idling at a stoplight. The AC blows nice and cold when I'm moving. But sometimes (and not all the time), it blows warm air when I'm stopped at a light.
I'm sure you realize that your A/C works better when your vehicle is moving because 1) the condensing coil can shed heat faster when air is moving over it, and 2) the compressor runs faster at higher engine RPM. So the question is what has changed so that it no longer works as well when your truck is idling. Could be a low refrigerant charge due to a leak. Maybe a worn belt or weak tensioner that allows slippage around the compressor pulley. Compressor could be shot. Or the fan that blows air over the condenser coil isn't working properly, so that it only can shed heat well when the car is moving. Depending on the vehicle, that could mean an electric fan isn't working, or a fan clutch is worn out.

For me, this would be a case where it wasn't worth my time to troubleshoot, and I would just take it to a good A/C tech who could probably pinpoint the problem in ten minutes.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 AM

15,387 posts, read 21,487,515 times
Quote:
No need for lessons... I was attempting to give one... in humor...I guess I failed!
The humor thread meets on Fridays only.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,409,398 times
The problem is, a bad AC tech will do easy "troubleshooting". Tell you the system is shot and it's $1500+ to replace, that'll fix almost everything except a bad condenser fan or fan clutch.

If you have a FWD vehicle, you don't have a fan clutch. If you have a RWD you probably have a fan clutch, but I doubt that'd be the problem since that'd usually cause overheating as well.

If you have a FWD vehicle, check and make sure the condenser fan is on when you're running the AC. Some cars flip the condenser fan on and off as required. Some run all the time when the AC is on (mine does this). You may have a weak condenser fan also, where it looks to be working, but just isn't moving air as well as it should.

When the car is acting up (blowing warm air), pull over, drop the transmission to neutral and rev it up (and keep it at) 2000 RPM. Give it a couple minutes. If it starts to cool down, then you probably have a bad compressor. If it doesn't cool down then it's probably low refrigerant, a condenser issue, or something else entirely (expansion valve, orfice tube, etc.)

The next step in self diagnostics would be to buy a gauge set from Harbor Freight (or somewhere else). HF's gauge set is around $60 and would let you accurately test the pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I'm sure you realize that your A/C works better when your vehicle is moving because 1) the condensing coil can shed heat faster when air is moving over it, and 2) the compressor runs faster at higher engine RPM. So the question is what has changed so that it no longer works as well when your truck is idling. Could be a low refrigerant charge due to a leak. Maybe a worn belt or weak tensioner that allows slippage around the compressor pulley. Compressor could be shot. Or the fan that blows air over the condenser coil isn't working properly, so that it only can shed heat well when the car is moving. Depending on the vehicle, that could mean an electric fan isn't working, or a fan clutch is worn out.

For me, this would be a case where it wasn't worth my time to troubleshoot, and I would just take it to a good A/C tech who could probably pinpoint the problem in ten minutes.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Default But...but...

Quote:
The humor thread meets on Fridays only.

Yesterday WAS my Friday!

Oh, I finally got to use that LV cliche'

Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM

15,387 posts, read 21,487,515 times
Quote:
Yesterday WAS my Friday!

Oh, I finally got to use that LV cliche'
yeh....it sux......when yer retired ya never get Fridays or vacations

He He He

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

4,266 posts, read 2,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
yeh....it sux......when yer retired ya never get Fridays or vacations

He He He
I'm off for 2 more months. I never know what day it is anymore

Old 06-26-2012, 12:10 PM

LOL, I never know what day it is either because I wake up one day to get to work the next! ....I start at 1AM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas