Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,345 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Like most Vegas residents, my townhouse yard (or shall I say patio with how small it is) is lined with cinderblock as the wall. It looks really ugly and I would like to do something about it. Im looking through all the HOA rules regarding painting or stucco-ing it but not sure if they will allow it. Another idea I saw one time is mounting lattice to the wall and adding either real or fake vines to it. Has anyone done this and had success? Anyone have any other ideas for cinder block?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,920,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle88 View Post
Hey all,

Like most Vegas residents, my townhouse yard (or shall I say patio with how small it is) is lined with cinderblock as the wall. It looks really ugly and I would like to do something about it. Im looking through all the HOA rules regarding painting or stucco-ing it but not sure if they will allow it. Another idea I saw one time is mounting lattice to the wall and adding either real or fake vines to it. Has anyone done this and had success? Anyone have any other ideas for cinder block?

Thanks!
MacGeek stuccoed his walls, and it looks great. Elastomeric paint is also an option. I would mix the paint with beach sand for an even better effect -- but sprayers are out of the question if you add sand to the mix.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,350,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstyle88 View Post
Hey all,

Like most Vegas residents, my townhouse yard (or shall I say patio with how small it is) is lined with cinder block as the wall. It looks really ugly and I would like to do something about it. I"m looking through all the HOA rules regarding painting or stucco-ing it but not sure if they will allow it. Another idea I saw one time is mounting lattice to the wall and adding either real or fake vines to it. Has anyone done this and had success? Anyone have any other ideas for cinder block?

Thanks!
I'm with you on that. In your case with a townhouse patio yard, I would definitely look into having it stuccoed. It wouldn't cost you that much because it's probably not that big. The house I bought has a huge yard and many feet of ugly prison walls, so I have spent many hours researching on line for other alternatives. I have read that the stains that they have for cement really won't work well for cinder block and eventually peel, and of course you see the block lines as well. If you paint it, and later don't like it, you will need to go the more expensive route and have wire put down, because trying to adhere mortar over a painted surface will not have the same grab. The HOA should not have a say as to what you do inside your walls, but checking is always advisable. They are usually only concerned with what can be seen by others.

What I would do if I were you is to check with your neighbors and see if they are interested as well, because if your yard is small, you will be paying a higher per running ft. than if they were doing a larger job. I'm sure that there are vines that can be planted as well, and in time could probably cover it. But a stucco wall will change the landscape considerably and make anything you want to plant out there look 1000 times better. There is a thread on the Phoenix board about this, and a guy posted his wall after he had it stuccoed. I think he said he only paid $800. He doesn't show the before - but you know what that looks like.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...k-walls-3.html
'

Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,646,733 times
I think $800 is pretty cheap even for 2003. It looks great.

We have a very large yard and all cinder block. I figured it would be several thousand to stucco it. I thought about filling in the grooves (for lack of a better word) with mortar and then, maybe, painting it with a textured paint.

If you do not paint it, can you just stucco right over the cement block without the wire? It seems like someone who is handy (my husband) should be able to rent a machine of some sort and do it as a DIY. *shrug*

Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,350,402 times
No, it is done by hand and labor intensive. There are some videos on YouTube. The difficulty in LV is the dry climate. You need to have some moisture in the walls, and the mortar dries very quickly. If it is going on bare cinder-block, they can apparently do it without the wire mesh. There is a learned technique to it.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,609,386 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ty-wall-3.html

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,453,854 times
...Just set some cans of spray paint outside... It's get painted!

Or on the cheap, you can get outdoor paint and mix sifted sand into it and roller it on the blocks...you will still see the seams but the sand will add a more attractive texture.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
Your HOA should have an architectural committee that approves such things. They probably have a form to fill out to submit for approval. As long as it maintains the integrity of the surrounding neighborhood, and improves the look, they should approve it. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
...Just set some cans of spray paint outside... It's get painted!

Or on the cheap, you can get outdoor paint and mix sifted sand into it and roller it on the blocks...you will still see the seams but the sand will add a more attractive texture.
Can the seams be filled in first?

Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Look at these!

I think I might go with the trompe l'œl.

painted cinder block walls - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas