U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM

395 posts, read 419,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I must have gotten lucky when I used the shuttle. Ours was the first hotel they stopped at from the airport and the next to last one they stopped on the way to the airport. Our ride was very fast and easy.
Getting lucky and being lucky are always good when on vacation in LV
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM

7,594 posts, read 4,836,786 times
I would take a van taxi. You should be asking for a van otherwise you get a smaller one. If leaving from airport, ask the driver as soon as you get in the cab to NOT take the tunnel/highway as it will cost more. If you're departing from the brand new terminal 3, it will cost more for the strip as it is a bit further and you gotta loop around.
Shuttles can make many stops and take a long time. 5x15=too much. A rental's price can have a high variation depending on what goes on in the city during the time you will be there. It's not a bad option if you're planning on moving around allot and heading off strip. Don't forget the cost for gas, insurance and taxes. As mentioned, some can't handle the strip traffic.
Don't forget to tip your cab drivers, at least $2 for a small trip more if $20 and up

FYI a trip from the airport to the middle of the strip like Caesar's should be around $22 including the 1.80 airport fee and not including tip. That's for as many as five people. It is illegal for taxis in Nevada to transport more than five passengers. Add more for heavy traffic as a taxi's meter runs on time and distance.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:49 PM

836 posts, read 698,040 times
Bring your own GPS or rent one it saves you time and gas especially if you are heading out off the strip. It help you navigate better especially at night and when the traffic gets heavy. I would still be driving around LV if I did not have one lol. You cell phone might also have this feature.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM

482 posts, read 523,556 times
I once flew into Vegas with some friends. The plan was to take the Gray Line shuttle to the hotel. At the time Gray Line didn't have another departure for a half hour. One of the limo operators said "I'm only a few dollars more than them, and I'm ready to leave now." That was all we needed. It was a fun way to get to the hotel and a great way to start the trip.

Now that I'm living here, I don't get to do stuff like that anymore.

Last edited by orca17; 06-25-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM

3,993 posts, read 2,383,205 times
A lot of the taxi vans only seat four! The Crown Vic taxis can hold as much or more luggage than the vans and legally transport 5 passengers...depending on where you're going on the strip the fare should be around $15 and no more, but most likely less. Tell the taxi to go straight out on Swenson then turn West on whichever cross street is most appropriate!

(mod cut-- soliciting business)

Last edited by observer53; 06-26-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM

7,594 posts, read 4,836,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
A lot of the taxi vans only seat four! The Crown Vic taxis can hold as much or more luggage than the vans and legally transport 5 passengers...depending on where you're going on the strip the fare should be around $15 and no more, but most likely less. Tell the taxi to go straight out on Swenson then turn West on whichever cross street is most appropriate!

I will disagree. Almost all vans fit five. In a Crown Victoria its a tight squeeze. Luggage is not the greatest in a van but it can be stacked up and some put in the passenger area.
Also its very very rare that you will find a driver that smells bad and the majority speak OK English.
About the long hauling part its hit and miss. Some will take you the long way while others will not. They will try to trick you and ask if you want to go the "fast way" but if you OK to that then you just told them to long haul yourself. Enjoy Las Vegas

Last edited by observer53; 06-26-2012 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,948,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
About the long hauling part its hit and miss. Some will take you the long way while others will not. They will try to trick you and ask if you want to go the "fast way" but if you OK to that then you just told them to long haul yourself. Enjoy Las Vegas
Ignore everything a cabbie might tell you about "a wreck" or "construction" and the need to take the freeway because of it. Tell them you'll just take your chances. I speak from experience.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM

3,993 posts, read 2,383,205 times
^^^ I do try to keep up on the wrecks/jams on the strip...but never suggest the highway to avoid them...there's always a side street/back way to go! The highway is NEVER cheaper to/from anything on the strip.

Quote:
Luggage is not the greatest in a van but it can be stacked up and some put in the passenger area.
Thereby making it not seat five.... I can fit a LOT of luggage in the Crown Vic, plus if needed I can bungee the trunk! Only had to do that once though and it was mostly due to the doorman not loading it right to begin with...rather than start over I just bungeed it. The doormen get pissy when you do their job better than they do!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 14,421,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I must have gotten lucky when I used the shuttle. Ours was the first hotel they stopped at from the airport and the next to last one they stopped on the way to the airport. Our ride was very fast and easy.
I used to think of the shuttle as my welcome to Vegas tour.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM

4,967 posts, read 3,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I used to think of the shuttle as my welcome to Vegas tour.
That too. When I was planning my first visit a friend said not to use the shuttle because it "stops at every hotel on the strip " and my thought was "so?" Having never been there that was okay with me. I hoped it would help me get oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: