Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM

84 posts, read 360,146 times

Advertisements

I'm on the way out, just curious what people make in this town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM

278 posts, read 1,084,082 times
I'm a substitute teacher. My hubby makes the money for the family in advertising sales.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Well we sell Real Estate. We lost money last year after a couple of nice years. We will do better this year Though it will not the Forbes 1000. I doubt we will do a lot better than minimum wage is you actually add up the hours we put in. Note though that, even losing money we get by...we have other income and "self employed" provides certain benefits that amplify that existing income. Do not try to break into Residental RE at this juncture...it is a disaster. You will be eaten alive if you don't have deep roots in the business.

I also know some others...Valet parkers on the strip make more than 75K. Exotic Dancers do over $100K at places like the Crazy Horse II. Some sweet young things do twice that.

House cleaner with a crew of four does 80K.

Custom contractor who does 2 or 3 houses a year does over 250K.

Journeyman Electrician gets well past 80K.

Prison guard who works all opportunities does over 70K.

I had some of the culinary numbers somewhere but I can't find them. They are I think in the public record.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well we sell Real Estate. We lost money last year after a couple of nice years. We will do better this year Though it will not the Forbes 1000. I doubt we will do a lot better than minimum wage is you actually add up the hours we put in. Note though that, even losing money we get by...we have other income and "self employed" provides certain benefits that amplify that existing income. Do not try to break into Residental RE at this juncture...it is a disaster. You will be eaten alive if you don't have deep roots in the business.

I also know some others...Valet parkers on the strip make more than 75K. Exotic Dancers do over $100K at places like the Crazy Horse II. Some sweet young things do twice that.

House cleaner with a crew of four does 80K.

Custom contractor who does 2 or 3 houses a year does over 250K.

Journeyman Electrician gets well past 80K.

Prison guard who works all opportunities does over 70K.

I had some of the culinary numbers somewhere but I can't find them. They are I think in the public record.
Self Employed HVAC guys make 100K+
Self Employed Pool Guys make 100K+
Self Employed Pest Control Guys Make 100K+
Union Truck Drivers make 80K+
Cocktail Waitress 80-100K+
Bartender 100K+
Dealers 100K+
I personally know a Valet that makes 80K just in tips a year.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Self Employed HVAC guys make 100K+
Self Employed Pool Guys make 100K+
Self Employed Pest Control Guys Make 100K+
Union Truck Drivers make 80K+
Cocktail Waitress 80-100K+
Bartender 100K+
Dealers 100K+
I personally know a Valet that makes 80K just in tips a year.
Nah they don't. Self employed pest guys and pool guys gross a 100K plus a year...but that ain't the net.

Most cocktail waitresses don't do 50K. The good places on the strip get close to a 100K...but they pool tips and pay most (not all) taxes.

Wynn dealers are the only ones I have heard of breaking a 100K. Freemont street they do 50K.

All big time Valets are pooled.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nah they don't. Self employed pest guys and pool guys gross a 100K plus a year...but that ain't the net.

Most cocktail waitresses don't do 50K. The good places on the strip get close to a 100K...but they pool tips and pay most (not all) taxes.

Wynn dealers are the only ones I have heard of breaking a 100K. Freemont street they do 50K.

All big time Valets are pooled.

Let me tell you..

A Self employed pool guy can make 100K+ net if they want to. It all depends of the # of service accounts they have and this is also in mix of #repairs, acid washes, bead blasts (tile cleaning). I contract work out all the time, so I can physically do more work than if I was just doing the work by myself. I personally work 6 days a week, while some guys even work 7 days. I am booked with acid washes and bead blasts till the end of the year, so there is plenty of work out there.

One of my customers is in Pest Control. He has 500 accounts @ $28 average monthly billing.

I know most tips are pooled. I use to date a cocktail waitress that worked on the strip and they were taxed $1 per drink served, the drinks they served were automatically counted. I know for a fact they dont report all their tips. Even the Valets are pooled, but some places only have 3-5 guys and make more money than guys with a larger crew (like at the Airport)

I have a customer that works at the Wynn as a dealer, and yeah, she makes a lot.. so that's where I'm getting that info on. I also have another customer that is a bartender and I think he's doing well cause he has a nice home in Red Rock CC so I cant really confirm on that one.. but i'm just asuming he's making good money.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 AM

15 posts, read 71,596 times
Default how about?

How about food servers in a upscale restaurant?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 AM

I'm pretty sure food servers in any type of upscale busy type place will do well. You figure the bigger the food bill, the bigger the tips.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:41 PM

229 posts, read 814,752 times
I flip houses. I just bought six houses today. All with only 3k down and no credit check. Heck, last week alone I made 80k! Right from my living room. (What this topic might have looked like if it were 2004.)

Old 09-28-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackackack View Post
I flip houses. I just bought six houses today. All with only 3k down and no credit check. Heck, last week alone I made 80k! Right from my living room. (What this topic might have looked like if it were 2004.)

They made a lot more than 80K. In general they put down 20%...they did not work on sub prime. Many managed a couple of million. And most took it to Phoenix and elsewhere without giving back a dime...where they picked up another million or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas