Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
If you have
the sales skills you say, then use them.
Perhaps it's also time to critically assess one's skills. It has been my experience that real estate agents are GREAT at networking. But they don't have great sales skills. Most of the Realtors I meet use "closings" like "Are you ready to put an offer on this house" or "what do you think."

These people don't know who Ben Gay or Zig Ziglar are, let alone read their books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Perhaps it's also time to critically assess one's skills. It has been my experience that real estate agents are GREAT at networking. But they don't have great sales skills. Most of the Realtors I meet use "closings" like "Are you ready to put an offer on this house" or "what do you think."

These people don't know who Ben Gay or Zig Ziglar are, let alone read their books.
I think you are right.

I've been asking for recommendations for Realtors around here for when I am ready to put my house on the market. I am going to be very picky as the last 3 I have used have all been...well, they weren't good.

Anyway, a friend receommended a husband and wife team. The wife is the "people person" who is good at showing houses, doing open houses, etc. The husband is the "numbers guy" and great at the offer and closing process. I'm told they seem to balance each other out perfectly and are a successful team. It seems that most Realtors I have met are one or the other but to find one with both is rare. I almost seems to take 2 separate people to find the ideal "selling machine."

Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think you are right.

I've been asking for recommendations for Realtors around here for when I am ready to put my house on the market. I am going to be very picky as the last 3 I have used have all been...well, they weren't good.

Anyway, a friend receommended a husband and wife team. The wife is the "people person" who is good at showing houses, doing open houses, etc. The husband is the "numbers guy" and great at the offer and closing process. I'm told they seem to balance each other out perfectly and are a successful team. It seems that most Realtors I have met are one or the other but to find one with both is rare. I almost seems to take 2 separate people to find the ideal "selling machine."
For the listing agents, the successful real estate agent is usually the one who can convince the seller to accept offers that are lower than he or she was hoping for. Agents don't sell houses. Here's why.

Let's say that your house is worth $150,000. Yes, "worth" is subjective. But let's say that 99 out of 100 real estate experts in your area all agree that the house is worth $150,000. If you put the house on the market for $200,000, there isn't an agent in your state who can sell it. It doesn't matter that they were "Born2Sell" and "ISell4U" and "The#1SalesPro." They can't convince the market to pay $50,000 over comps for a house. None of them can.

Conversely, if you put the house on the market for $100,000, you will have multiple offers in days, if not hours. Mr. or Mrs. "Born2Sell" didn't sell the house. The HOUSE sold the house.

The only things a listing agent brings to the table are, hopefully:

1) The ability to set the price so that it sells in a reasonable amount of time (doesn't languish on the market), without leaving undue money on the table.

2) Put that listing onto the MLS so buyers and their agents can find it.

3) Help seller's "stage" a house so it is more attractive to buyers.

You can learn to do #1 and #3 by yourself, and any discount broker can do #2 for a flat fee. Usually, the seller wants $180,000 for that $150,000 house. And the successful agent is the one who can convince the seller to list the house closer to it's real value, and to accept any offer that is in the ballpark.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 PM

27 posts, read 35,422 times
Hello everyone,
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate your taking the time to comment - I feel like you are my friends, even though I don't know you. I appreciate your critique and your ideas. I would like to ask you about networking... I tried networking with strangers, pretty anyone who'd listen. My experience with it so far was not great. People don't want to talk any longer once a conversation takes the "job" route. They excuse themselves quickly and wish me good luck. This includes people I know (yes, my competitors). Where and with whom would you suggest I network? HOW should I network? I was told I'm being politically incorrect in stating up front that I'm looking for work. What is the politically correct way to ask for help? Thank you in advance...

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
For the listing agents, the successful real estate agent is usually the one who can convince the seller to accept offers that are lower than he or she was hoping for. Agents don't sell houses. Here's why.

Let's say that your house is worth $150,000. Yes, "worth" is subjective. But let's say that 99 out of 100 real estate experts in your area all agree that the house is worth $150,000. If you put the house on the market for $200,000, there isn't an agent in your state who can sell it. It doesn't matter that they were "Born2Sell" and "ISell4U" and "The#1SalesPro." They can't convince the market to pay $50,000 over comps for a house. None of them can.

Conversely, if you put the house on the market for $100,000, you will have multiple offers in days, if not hours. Mr. or Mrs. "Born2Sell" didn't sell the house. The HOUSE sold the house.

The only things a listing agent brings to the table are, hopefully:

1) The ability to set the price so that it sells in a reasonable amount of time (doesn't languish on the market), without leaving undue money on the table.

2) Put that listing onto the MLS so buyers and their agents can find it.

3) Help seller's "stage" a house so it is more attractive to buyers.

You can learn to do #1 and #3 by yourself, and any discount broker can do #2 for a flat fee. Usually, the seller wants $180,000 for that $150,000 house. And the successful agent is the one who can convince the seller to list the house closer to it's real value, and to accept any offer that is in the ballpark.
Very well said.

This will be the 5th house I have sold. All but one sold within 2 days time, one within hours of listing. All for a very good price. I take credit for this. (the only one that took longer was a townhome we were selling in a development that was still building. We were competing with new construction that was in the same price range. That one took about 60 days)

One thing I do as a hobby is go to Sunday open houses. Some are similar to mine, some are much more expensive. This gives me great insight as to what is on the market and what they are on the market for. I am honest with the agents showing the houses about what I am doing; none seem to mind as they all give me their cards with the hope I will call them when I am ready to sell. I stage the house myself, go through it with a fine toothed comb, and make is as attractive to a buyer as possible.

For one property I used a flat fee broker and hosted my own open house. That broker told me that "open houses dont sell houses" but the very first person to come to that very first open house ended up being my buyer.

Where the last 3 agents failed me was with the business end, the part I was paying them to do right. I did everything else for them. This time I am going to be very selective in who I chose to list my house.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV2LAS View Post
Another word of advise if I may, get your resume redone by a professional resume writer - it is worth $250 and you can always claim it as business expense. Best money spent.
That is true. Most people want to give their life history. Most employers read about two sentences, so that's how much space you have to sell yourself.

I'd always heard it said about negotiation that the first one to mention their price loses. Never heard the part about last one to speak. I'll keep that in mind myself.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almark View Post
Hello everyone,
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate your taking the time to comment - I feel like you are my friends, even though I don't know you. I appreciate your critique and your ideas. I would like to ask you about networking... I tried networking with strangers, pretty anyone who'd listen. My experience with it so far was not great. People don't want to talk any longer once a conversation takes the "job" route. They excuse themselves quickly and wish me good luck. This includes people I know (yes, my competitors). Where and with whom would you suggest I network? HOW should I network? I was told I'm being politically incorrect in stating up front that I'm looking for work. What is the politically correct way to ask for help? Thank you in advance...
I would say that you need to just be able to ask the right questions and then listen without letting on that you are looking for work. Then be ready to use what you learn. People like to talk about everything they know, but they don't want to hear about your problems. One of my high school teachers used to tell us that we learn a lot more with our mouths shut and our ears open. There are networking groups all over town. I don't know if they do anyone any good, but you could go and see what you can learn without giving anything away about why you are really there.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:14 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almark View Post
Hi everyone,
Like many, I was a very successful high-end real estate sales person, selling new homes. My project went under and I have not been able to find new employment since. Tons of resumes out, no interviews.
When I looked outside of my specific industry (fine jewelry was one ), I was laughed at. Yes that is pretty sad.
I have an impressive sales track and an impeccable work ethics. People I know have not been keen on discussing jobs, maybe they too are afraid to loose them. I'm not sure who to turn to anymore. My friends were my competitors and they have not been helpful so far. I even thought that I should take my sales and closing skills elsewhere, but where? Do any of you have any ideas as to what a person with my background could do for living, if I can't find new home sales? Because I used most of my savings, I'd like to find something with some salary or a draw against commissions. I don't think I can do straight commission right now. Any Ideas? Thank you!
Many years ago, in the 70's, I was a wholesale salesman, who did quite well for myself. I was working at a particular company, got bored, quit and when my money ran out (no regrets to this day) I needed to go back to work, and decided my old job wasn't too bad after all. So I made the owner an offer he couldn't refuse. At the time I was making about $500 a week, not bad for a young man in my early 20's with no debt.

I met the owner for lunch. After all I was his top saleman for many years, and made him a lot of money. He was reluctant to take me back so I thought of a way to get my foot in the door. That's all I needed. I said that I would start at $150 a week, and for every week that I did well, according to a mutual agreement, he would give me a $25 a week raise. Well, it wasn't too long before I was back at the same earnings level that I left. I just needed to prove to the owner that I was back at my former sales ability.

If I had asked for even a bit more starting salary, nothing would have happened, as the owner was a bit skeptical about my sincerity. Can't blame him. You can find a company that you want to work for, offer to start for next to nothing, and ask to prove yourself. If you are as good as you think you are, you will hopefully have a chance to prove yourself and eventually start making the kind of money you desire/earn.

Last edited by seethelight; 07-05-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM

419 posts, read 906,707 times
Almark, my response to your PM questions. (I felt it better to share as a post with everyone,
and note I've removed any personal info)

Q: "How would I quote my fees and what they should be."
A: You'll have to do some research to determine what companies in the niches
you want to pursue would pay for work similar to what you will offer.
You'll present them in person at meetings you'll arrange.

Q: "I'm not sure consulting would work in this arena?"
A: It might not, I can't say since i've never been in new home sales,
but I would not limit myself to that arena, anyway.

Q: "I'm not quite sure what it means to be a consultant within a frame of
employment. "

A: Its not "within a framework of employment". You are contracting with a
company to preform certain work and obtain certain results. You'll need to
discard the 'employment' model to begin working at this.

Q: "How do you work? Do you come in to work like everyone else, every day?"
A: Generally, no. You will usually have shorter hours ONSITE, but will also do
work offsite, at your own location/home office/cafe etc. Understand you are not pitching
yourself as another new home salesperson who stands in a showroom all day.
Just as an example, part of what you''ll do is demonstrate how you'll seek new customers
OUTSIDE of the model home site. It's this kind of creativity that sets you apart from someone
applying for a "new home sales job". If all you want to do is fill the shoes of someone who stands
on the sales floor all day, waiting for customers, then this approach is not for you.

Q: "Do you know if my skills would transfer elsewhere?"
A: If you have above-average sales skill, then they will transfer to many different
business specialties. More on this further in recommendations.

Q: "It's hard to get to see decision makers face to face. What is a non-offensive
way to get to see them?"

A:This is something you should already know, which brings me to my
recommendations...

Q: "Whose schedule are you on? How many hours do you work? How do you
get paid?"

A: This is concerns me a bit. Your questions all sound like you're trying to figure
out how this conforms to your version of a job. You will be selling EXPERTISE,
and RESULTS. ...and before you say, "well how can I guarantee results", you
can't. But neither can any employee who is hired, and they at a higher cost to boot!

Your presentation and sales skills will talk for you. Your better value proposition
will help close an agreement. Your 'positioning' will be stronger than some
salesperson applying for a 'job'.

This is a process, where you will do the research, record data, analyze your best
targets, make initial contacts, and follow-up. Basic sales 101. Success will come
through discipline and follow-thru.

You'll need to maintain an optimistic attitude and keep practicing your technique.
This is NOT theory at all. I've done this. I've taught others to do it. However, you
have to be committed to this approach, and stick with it.

For most serious people, this is not a problem, since they are getting almost no
action applying for jobs anyway.!

There is NO EXACT roadmap, no written guarantee, just a 'way', that pulls you out
of the masses trying to get in line first, for the one job being dangled in front of
500 starving, panting applicants.

And what I mentioned in the earlier post is true. This method does have the
unique ability to often get you job offers when what you are looking for is
business contracts...

Do you wonder why? I'll give you a clue: The person on the other side of the
desk RESPECTS YOU MORE...they have more curiosity about you and 'what
you do" and they will be impressed that you have the 'b*lls' to take charge and
are not just another desperate job seeker. many people actually RUN from job
seekers!

Recommendations: Scoop made an important observation. Not all sales people
are ready to take on a bigger challenge. Some call themselves "sales
consultants" when they were closer to being 'clerks' (not saying you were, just
concurring with Scoop's point.)

Judging by some of your questions, I'd recommend you take the best sales
training course you can find. Borrow the money if you have to. You need to brush
up on these skills, and add new skills, and add an improved mindset to your game.\
Years ago, I took the Sandler Selling System, I don't know if its even still around, but it was
very good.

Even if you choose to continue on the traditional job-seeking path, the improved
skills will pay off...they're far more valuable than some seminar on "how to write a
better resume", or "how to network"....This whole process is a SALES
PROCESS...and I think you'd benefit from that.

Your whole life could change for the better when you embark on a new approach
and see your optimism return too. Stop thinking of yourself as a
down-in-the-mouth 'job seeker'. You're a business consultant who helps
companies reduce sales and marketing expense, while improving profits.

Start tomorrow
, get a stack of business cards, write up a simple one-page business plan, do the
research, target companies, make calls, send letters, follow-up, work everyday
on this, listen to no one who tells you to quit, decide here and now you will die
trying, but you will not quit.

I did this 22 years ago, and have never looked back. One contract, which started
as tiny as they come, turned into $271,000. Who knows, you could do even better!
Good Luck.

Last edited by brucerby; 07-05-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
A couple of points without trying to offend anyone:

One, brucerby while you have good intentions and are being helpful you're trying to get someone who is completely clueless to contract himself out as a consultant. Let me put this politely, lol.

Two, op you really need to humble yourself and take any sales gig you can find and let your work speak for itself. Fact: you're not NEARLY as good as you think you are.

Three, scoop is right - most real estate agents couldn't close a spring loaded front door. Even worse than real estate agents are the order taking mortgage pros who made 20k a month during the refi boom and think they can actually sell. Order takers, plain and simple.

You want to hone your skills op? Go sell something nobody wants. Once you're able to convince the prospect not only to buy, but that it was their idea all along, then you'll be in a position to never have to post about not being able to find work on a message board.

I'm highly biased but I think you'd be hard pressed to find better salesmen than in the investment arena. You may want to start looking there. Turnover is ridiculous and maybe one out of 20 salesmen who think they're top dog actually close enough business to eat. I know there are a couple oil and gas deals in town. Pure evil, dirty, boiler room sales but you know what? You'll either learn to sell or starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: