Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 10,497 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation. My attorney said that I should stop my short-sale process. We are in the process now of going BK. Unfortuantely the real estate sales person always has a buyer lined up to purchase the house. Also the bank last Friday approved the short-sale. If I back out of this as the attorney is advising me, can the real estate company and bank sue me???

Confused..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
why not ask your attorney? read through all the papers you have signed or bring them to your attorney.
do not trust your real estate agent. It is in his/her own interest to sell your house so he/she can make money.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
why not ask your attorney?
do not trust your real estate agent. It is in his/her own interest to sell your house so he/she can make money.
But trust the lawyer who may make much more money depending on how the home is handled? I would trust both agents or neither...can't have it both ways. If standard GLVAR forms are used the seller and buyer must approve the banks approval letter. Don't..

Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM

261 posts, read 422,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTam1 View Post
Here's the situation. My attorney said that I should stop my short-sale process. We are in the process now of going BK. Unfortuantely the real estate sales person always has a buyer lined up to purchase the house. Also the bank last Friday approved the short-sale. If I back out of this as the attorney is advising me, can the real estate company and bank sue me???

Confused..........
If you don't mind, why does your attorney advise stopping the process?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
If you don't mind, why does your attorney advise stopping the process?
Yes to avoid the 1099. I explained that I should fall under the Debt Forgiveness Act. The house was our primary from 2003 to 2009. Then we rented it out.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I Think you should sell the house, as promised.
If you owe people money, and you can pay off some of your debt in the short sale, then you should man up
and sell.

Filing for bankruptcy is not a privilege.

Jonathan

Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Yes to avoid the 1099. I explained that I should fall under the Debt Forgiveness Act. The house was our primary from 2003 to 2009. Then we rented it out.
Ohhh ny...that is 2 out 5 year rule. So when in 2009? Can you move back in for a few months? Nah that does not work...too late. I would vote to go with the lawyer. But learn a lot Many of them don't understand this stuff either.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
I agree with lvoc, depending on when you started renting out the house, you probably/may not fall under the debt forgiveness exemption as I understand it.

You should be able to reject the banks approval. If your estimated closing date on the original offer would have put you in a timeline that would have been acceptable tax wise, then I'd say it's pretty cut and dry, if the approval sets the estimated closing date after your "ok" date tax wise, well that's not your fault the buyer's knew that was a potential issue.

If you signed an offer with an estimated closing date that was no good (tax wise), that's failure to do your own due diligence. Likely you can still legally get out of the offer, but as a buyer if I knew all the details, I might rake you over the coals in this case.

Buyers should know short sales are not solid deals. Hopefully they haven't seen the approval letter yet. I'd communicate it to the buyer as something along the lines of, bank provided approval but seller didn't agree to terms and leave it at that.

This is one case where I actually think, if you're willing to file bankruptcy, you deserve to get out of your house. I've seen way too many people buy and bail and their credit is 700+ in two years. That's not OK in my book. But a bankruptcy will put a big dent in your financial future and obviously you're in dire straits if you're considering that.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I agree with lvoc, depending on when you started renting out the house, you probably/may not fall under the debt forgiveness exemption as I understand it.

You should be able to reject the banks approval. If your estimated closing date on the original offer would have put you in a timeline that would have been acceptable tax wise, then I'd say it's pretty cut and dry, if the approval sets the estimated closing date after your "ok" date tax wise, well that's not your fault the buyer's knew that was a potential issue.

If you signed an offer with an estimated closing date that was no good (tax wise), that's failure to do your own due diligence. Likely you can still legally get out of the offer, but as a buyer if I knew all the details, I might rake you over the coals in this case.

Buyers should know short sales are not solid deals. Hopefully they haven't seen the approval letter yet. I'd communicate it to the buyer as something along the lines of, bank provided approval but seller didn't agree to terms and leave it at that.

This is one case where I actually think, if you're willing to file bankruptcy, you deserve to get out of your house. I've seen way too many people buy and bail and their credit is 700+ in two years. That's not OK in my book. But a bankruptcy will put a big dent in your financial future and obviously you're in dire straits if you're considering that.
Problem is that my agent didn't fully explained the Debt Relief Act. He said I would qualify with no problems. When I did my math, I am short 3 months. The bank has sent a approval letter already. Is it too late to back out without getting sued from the mortage company and the real estate company.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Your bank won't sue you, they don't care. Your agent and the buyer could in theory maybe sue you, but like lvoc said, if you used the GLVAR standard short sale forms, you should be covered legally and able to exit the deal.

Besides, nobody is going to want to sue someone who is filing bankruptcy. It's not free to sue someone and the likelyhood of getting any money from you is nearly zero.

Quote:
Problem is that my agent didn't fully explained the Debt Relief Act. He said I would qualify with no problems. When I did my math, I am short 3 months. The bank has sent a approval letter already. Is it too late to back out without getting sued from the mortage company and the real estate company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas