Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM

399 posts, read 693,925 times

Advertisements

After almost a year, I landed a new job where I get off work at 10pm. When I got home, in the garage I saw several dark brown colored roach like bugs that were about 1" long that I didn't notice last year. I then took my dog for a walk and saw a lot of these roach like bugs. Based on my description, does someone know what type of but this might be? Are they new this year? Besides spray, some way to get rid of them? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
I have this stuff I bought at Lowes, for the bugs.
It doesn't kill them, but fills them full of self doubt that they are in the right house.

Jonathan

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
After almost a year, I landed a new job where I get off work at 10pm. When I got home, in the garage I saw several dark brown colored roach like bugs that were about 1" long that I didn't notice last year. I then took my dog for a walk and saw a lot of these roach like bugs. Based on my description, does someone know what type of but this might be? Are they new this year? Besides spray, some way to get rid of them? Thanks for any help.
Roaches....brown ones are the Germans...though Bug Bully will know for sure. All you need for roaches in the desert is to add water and they appear. Call Bug Bully - Spray once a month in the heat.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Remove their water and food supply. Usually this is recycling and trash being stored in the garage.

Also, those roaches want to get in the house. When we first moved here, my mother in law warned me to watch for roaches trying to enter the house when opening the door to the garage. I thought this was a ridiculous idea. That assumes some sort of higher intelligence. Sure enough, I have found roaches waiting at the threshold like [censored] sprinters at an Olympic event. They try to dash in, and I stomp 'em. They'll also try to find a way in through the walls. Look for their droppings and caulk any openings -- around the moulding at our house, for instance.

And roaches love two things more than anything else -- beer and cardboard. Keep that in mind when making your garage less bug friendly.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
If you don't have pets around, make a combination of baking powder and boric acid crystals, put it along the edge of the doorway from the garage, or, if there's a little step up to the door, along the edge of the step. You can sometimes buy that mixture already made, I've even seen it at Walgreens.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Remove their water and food supply. Usually this is recycling and trash being stored in the garage.

Also, those roaches want to get in the house. When we first moved here, my mother in law warned me to watch for roaches trying to enter the house when opening the door to the garage. I thought this was a ridiculous idea. That assumes some sort of higher intelligence. Sure enough, I have found roaches waiting at the threshold like [censored] sprinters at an Olympic event. They try to dash in, and I stomp 'em. They'll also try to find a way in through the walls. Look for their droppings and caulk any openings -- around the moulding at our house, for instance.

And roaches love two things more than anything else -- beer and cardboard. Keep that in mind when making your garage less bug friendly.
I understand the beer but can't figure out the cardboard

Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM

73 posts, read 150,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
Maybe it reminds them of college when they ate a lot of frozen pizza along with their beer.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,035 times
Quote:
You have what I have as well, I bet: Oriental cockroach.

They don't multiply as fast as the German kind which is a good thing. They look a bit gnarly though.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
Roaches are attracted to the advesive that holds packaging together. In the days when wallpaper border was popular you also find them behind that...eating the glue.

My ex did pest control for many years, and I heard lots of really gross roach stories. Ugh.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,764 times
Those are oriental roaches, outside roaches, or water bugs some people call them because they do not like the name roach. The are very normal all over Vegas this time of the year, especially with this heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas