Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times

Advertisements

Drink the Kool-Aid™ while you are there.
There are amazing non-VPN places that strive to be rigidly Neapolitan in nature, and there are those that serve pizzas that are both traditionally Neapolitan and that are Neapolitan-inspired. What they have in common is that they don't view an outside organization's certification as having any bearing on what they do. They hue to an internal benchmark of success.
$2000 to get certified and yearly dues? I could never get so low as to even think of a scam that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
^^^^^ That's the same scam the BBB uses!

Screw awards...my tastebuds are my guide!

Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Drink the Kool-Aidâ„¢ while you are there.
There are amazing non-VPN places that strive to be rigidly Neapolitan in nature, and there are those that serve pizzas that are both traditionally Neapolitan and that are Neapolitan-inspired. What they have in common is that they don't view an outside organization's certification as having any bearing on what they do. They hue to an internal benchmark of success.
$2000 to get certified and yearly dues? I could never get so low as to even think of a scam that good.
The $2,000 is to pay for the inspectors who fly over from Italy. Hey, at least Italy lets other areas in on their little club. The Champagne region for instance, does not. It doesn't matter how good the sparkling wine is in Napa, it isn't Champagne.

Go distill some sour mash whiskey outside of Kentucky and call it "Bourbon" and see where that gets you.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
What Is VPN Pizza? | Slice Pizza Blog

Interesting.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The closest you can get without buying an airplane ticket is Settebello. Make sure you order some of Armandino Batali's salumi as an appetizer as well. I think the only thing keeping Settebello from tasting exactly like a real Neapolitan pizza is 200 years of use for the brick oven. It's kind of like the Chinese yixing clay teapots -- after a few hundred years, the pot is as important to the flavor as the tea leaves. That's why those old pots sell for tens of thousands of dollars. Some are even considered national treasures. The pizza ovens of Italy work the same mojo for pizza as the yixing pots do for tea.

IMO, the pizza margherita is the one to get first. It's basic. A little sauce, some good buffalo mozzarella and basil. That's the standard by which all other pizzas are judged.

And I wouldn't even call a Chicago "pizza" a pie. A pie doesn't have a crust that can only be measured with a yardstick. What they're eating in Illinois is basically a round pagnotta with a sausage casserole on top. There's nothing wrong with that. But it isn't pizza. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

The thing that irks me about the American "our regional pizza is the best" crapola is that it isn't even our national dish. For instance, we're the authority on barbecue. No other country can lay claim to barbecue greatness like America. Someone from Chicago blathering on about pizza is like someone from Milan making grand sweeping assertions about barbecue. Neither one has the necessary street cred.

If an Italian routinely wins trophies on the American barbecue circuit, I'll pay attention to what he or she has to say about barbecue. VPN certification for a pizzeria is like winning a barbecue trophy for a smokehouse. There are only a few dozen VPN-certified pizzerias in America. Settebello is one of them.
I would also note that pizza is not so much "Italian" as southern Italian. Naples not Milan. Don't think it got even as high as Florence. My first wife was American born but a pure bred. The family had no use for pizza - called it American junk food. Much more into macaroni and meat dishes. My children still make excellent Spaghetti with the sauce semi-from scratch.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I would also note that pizza is not so much "Italian" as southern Italian. Naples not Milan. Don't think it got even as high as Florence. My first wife was American born but a pure bred. The family had no use for pizza - called it American junk food. Much more into macaroni and meat dishes. My children still make excellent Spaghetti with the sauce semi-from scratch.
The thing about Italian food is that there really is no such thing. What we now consider "Italy" was up until very recently a hodgepodge of city-states, non-Italian colonies and kingdoms. San Marino, for instance, never embraced the "nation state" and continues to be an anachronism. While there is considerable national unity, their food is still very much regional.

Which is why I wonder why I meet Americans who tell me that they're "Italian." They don't speak Italian. (And don't even say "capiche" correctly. Furthermore, it's "Capisci?" or "Capisco.") They don't know squat about the food -- other than Italian-American food. And they've eschewed the traditional hyper-local food culture for this "abbondanza" thing.

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of it. I find it peculiar to say the least. People I know with names like Charlie Kreuzenheimer don't go around telling people that they're German. But Charlie Bonano? Fuhgeddaboutit. And for some reason, they think that because their great-great-great grandparents left Sicily in 1903, that "food runs in their blood." Some of the most wretched meals I've ever had to politely eat have been from the "I'm Italian, so I know food" crowd.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:00 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The closest you can get without buying an airplane ticket is Settebello...

IMO, the pizza margherita is the one to get first. It's basic. A little sauce, some good buffalo mozzarella and basil. That's the standard by which all other pizzas are judged.

And I wouldn't even call a Chicago "pizza" a pie. A pie doesn't have a crust that can only be measured with a yardstick. What they're eating in Illinois is basically a round pagnotta with a sausage casserole on top. There's nothing wrong with that. But it isn't pizza. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

The thing that irks me about the American "our regional pizza is the best" crapola is that it isn't even our national dish. For instance, we're the authority on barbecue. No other country can lay claim to barbecue greatness like America. Someone from Chicago blathering on about pizza is like someone from Milan making grand sweeping assertions about barbecue. Neither one has the necessary street cred.

If an Italian routinely wins trophies on the American barbecue circuit, I'll pay attention to what he or she has to say about barbecue. VPN certification for a pizzeria is like winning a barbecue trophy for a smokehouse. There are only a few dozen VPN-certified pizzerias in America. Settebello is one of them.
This.

I could have written that myself.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM

Naples 45: Skip the Neapolitan Pizza Here and Get Their New York–Style Slice Instead | Slice Pizza Blog

Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Just one more....from pizzamakers

VPN Certification

Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I just tried Spaghetti & Company's pizza based on a recommendation from this thread. I liked it. Good cheese.

I also like Lino's and Northside Nathan's- neither of which are NY style though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas