Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,198,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
You seem to be very knowledgeable on Costco. I am moving to NLV next month. What is the best Costco?
N.Decatur location will be closest to you. And it's a good one. Along with the Summerlin location. The Henderson location is just the oldest, and it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,241,237 times
Need a glass of wine or something before attempting to shop at the Summerlin Costco. Too crowded inside and out but...I do like costco for their fruit/veggies and their roasted chicken is good, big cakes for cheap. Their furniture/outdoor stuff is nice.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 AM

932 posts, read 2,336,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
N.Decatur location will be closest to you. And it's a good one. Along with the Summerlin location. The Henderson location is just the oldest, and it shows.
One additional advantage for the North Decatur location: It is the one of the few big-box stores I've seen that has self-checkout. That can be a big deal, especially on busy weekends.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM

727 posts, read 1,052,585 times
Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely check out the Costco on North Decatur. I have been in numerous Costco's and have never seen a self service line. That should be interesting and hopefully faster. I love Costco but my one complaint is the checkout lines. Their people are usually pretty fast but lines can get long.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,928,028 times
We've been to every Costco in the valley. We prefer the one in Henderson. The others are just too crowded.

Things that are best purchased at Costco (and not Sam's): Wedges of Parmesan and pecorino cheese, USDA Prime beef, whole-bean coffee, mussels (if the sell-by date is a long way off and they have no smell whatsoever), filets of steelhead trout (but not salmon), ahi tuna when they have it, Veuve Cliquot (Costco sells more of this wine than anyone else, the only way to find it cheaper is to fly to Reims), pine nuts, and pistachios. We also buy gasoline and tires there. Although Smith's loyalty program makes their gasoline the same price as Costco's, so there's less of a reason for us to go there.

As for "free" Costco shopping, every day is free Costco shopping. Just buy their executive membership card. Shop all year. If the cash back doesn't pay for the membership (or at least subsidize it to the point where it's not an issue), cancel. In five years, we have never paid for a membership card.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,825,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
filets of steelhead trout (but not salmon)
When it is one of the few times of they year when they have wild Copper River salmon I think it is worth buying. We try to avoid eating the farmed salmon, for sustainability reasons. I believe they occasionally have other wild caught salmon too. When they have fresh halibut, it is the same price as the frozen, $18 a pound, which is a pretty good deal.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,928,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
When it is one of the few times of they year when they have wild Copper River salmon I think it is worth buying. We try to avoid eating the farmed salmon, for sustainability reasons. I believe they occasionally have other wild caught salmon too. When they have fresh halibut, it is the same price as the frozen, $18 a pound, which is a pretty good deal.
I haven't seen Copper River salmon at Costco. (But I don't doubt they sometimes carry it.)

My problem with farmed salmon is the complete and utter lack of taste. It just isn't a very good fish for farming. Aquaculture is still in it's infancy. I'm sure things will improve in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,772,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The Henderson location is just the oldest, and it shows.
That's the one I go to and it's not bad looking at all.
Not that crowded either.
The one where the fuzz murdered that Erik Scott does look nicer though.
But I CCW and don't wanna die cause some employee initiated the next Charge of the Light Brigade.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM

11,143 posts, read 15,913,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
The one where the fuzz murdered that Erik Scott does look nicer though.

The fuzz?

LOL

I don't think I've heard anyone use that term since Mod Squad went off the air in 1973.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,221,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
The dog beds at Marshalls are Walmart quality.... garbage.. and not as big as the one's at Costco... These are the one's at the petstores for $50+
I got excited for a second until I realized you are talking about actual DOG beds.

See around here the dog bed is MY bed and I really need a new mattress...

Also I forgot mayo there is Best Foods (Hellman's here)

Ive heard you can buy one membership and spilt it with friends since they give you more than one card. Anyone do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas