Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a promotion within the company (i'm currently at the airport)..and the other location is in Indian Springs...

i am not excited about this at all.. should i be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Indian Springs is a small, relatively remote community. Less than 1,000 people live there. Creech Air Force Base is there, and there are two state correctional facilities south of there off US 95. As far as living there - there is very little to do and few businesses in town. The upside, property is cheap and you are about an hour's drive from Las Vegas. I used to work in that area, not a bad commute from the Centennial Hills area (took me about 25 minutes to get to work, minimal traffic).

Wikipedia article on Indian Springs

Last edited by orca17; 07-24-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Indian Springs is a small, relatively remote community. Less than 1,000 people live there. Creech Air Force Base is there, and there are two state correctional facilities south of there off US 95. As far as living there - there is very little to do and few businesses in town. The upside, property is cheap and you are about an hour's drive from Las Vegas. I used to work in that area, not a bad commute from the Centennial Hills area (took me about 25 minutes to get to work, minimal traffic).

Wikipedia article on Indian Springs
Towns a dump...demographically challenged. Double wides and junk. Actually though a pretty friendly place.

I substitute taught there a couple of times. It is only about 35 minutes from my house and yours is probably similar. Takes me three or four minutes to get to 95 and then you low fly all the way.

The only other place to live around there is Cold Creek which way on back into the Moutains to the south.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
When I think of Indian Springs, I think of their Prison...

High Desert Prison - Indian Springs, NV - Google Earth - YouTube

Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Since you won't be living there, if you enjoy the job don't mind the drive, and think the promotion is worth it then go for it.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
We thought about buying a place in Cold Creek as a summer retreat. I like it up there. It's remote, the people are friendly. There are wild horses running around. It's easy to grow things. It's SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than the valley -- it's at the point where the joshua trees end and the pine trees begin.

And, I couldn't think of a better place to be if there's a zombie apocalypse. You could see the zombies coming for miles. And all your neighbors are armed to the teeth. (In a friendly, libertarian way. Seeing as there's no police except prison guards for miles in any direction.)

I think the best way to describe Cold Creek is "Martha Stewart marries Mad Max and they build a home together in the shadow of the Spring Mountains." It's a neighborhood of tastefully designed and built houses, well appointed, with a larder of venison jerky and pickled vegetables stored in mason jars. Everyone makes their own power. There are a lot of musicians. It's my kind of place. Think Key West without the ocean.

We may yet buy a summer place in Cold Creek or on Mt. Charleston. But we're currently holding off because of the long-distance maintenance. When I talked to prospective neighbors, they said they wouldn't want to deal with the ongoing maintenance all at once in the summer. "You'd never enjoy your summer. You'd spend the whole summer fixing your house. Or you'd have to pay people to do the work for you. C'mon back when you're ready to LIVE here."

Last edited by ScoopLV; 07-24-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

I think the best way to describe Cold Creek is "Martha Stewart marries Mad Max and they build a home together in the shadow of the Spring Mountains." It's a neighborhood of tastefully designed and built houses, well appointed, with a larder of venison jerky and pickled vegetables stored in mason jars. Everyone makes their own power. There are a lot of musicians. It's my kind of place. Think Key West without the ocean.
Really? I didn't realize Key West was so "hillbilly". A good friend of mine lives there and she spends her days on her boat or at wine tastings or eating at fabulous restaurants, etc (she blogs about it). She would never eat or drink anything from a mason jar...or deer jerky for that matter! (shes a girl that won't even wear flip flops EVER)

Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
It's a dump... Think eddy griswold in Vegas vacation

Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Just commute. I do it every day, about 60 miles round trip. Takes me 20-25 minutes to get to work.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
Just commute. I do it every day, about 60 miles round trip. Takes me 20-25 minutes to get to work.
You're a cop - or close enough. We civilians have to do it 5 or 7 minutes slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas