Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyww View Post
The clog didn't go away and I had another clog in the main line. I actually got the quote wrong. The price was not $800; he meant the line that needs replacement is 8 ft long and the cost is $3200. I called another plumber and he snaked a camera down the line and found some blockage/break in the drain line underneath the lawn that is 4 ft long and 6 ft deep. He said his camera could not go any furhter and he can't see beyond the blockage. I authorized him to dig up the lawn and repair/replace the line because this constant flooding of the main line is such a huge hassle. It destroyed my carpet and living room. However, that was only part of the problem. After he replaced and repaired the main line underneath my lawn, he snaked the camera down the sewer line that is owned by the City and found there is a flat/restriction. He is going to make a video of that findings so I can submit to the City to prove their sewer line is a problem and they need to get it fixed. He said the clogging problem should not come back in six months but I would need to get the City to fix their side of the pipe as soon as possible.

The house was built in 2004. It is just my luck. None of my neighbors have this problem. Not only the drain line under my lawn was damaged, even the City sewer line connected to my drain line is now a problem. According to the plumber, the developer probably did not install the drain line properly. However, I am not sure if I can get them to reimburse the cost now that I had paid for it. The worst part is it is not even fixed.
Sounds like someone may have poured cement down the drain and it created a partial clog(?)

Last edited by eventusstultorummagister; 08-11-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM

207 posts, read 509,562 times
Quote:
I heard there are piping quality problems in Las Vegas and there were some lawsuits going on. Is that any chance my plumbing problem is caused by the bad pipe as stated in these lawsuits?
Yes, but it depends on the neighborhood. The last chance to get your house re-plumbed if that was the case was March 31, 2012. You can find more information here:

KITEC® Class Action Informational Website

If you would like, PM me the address (or the address of one of your neighbors) I can search the public records of other homes in your neighborhood to see if it looks like any of them had kitec fittings (if one has them, generally all in the neighborhood have them). Hope this helps!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
Yes, but it depends on the neighborhood. The last chance to get your house re-plumbed if that was the case was March 31, 2012. You can find more information here:

KITEC® Class Action Informational Website

If you would like, PM me the address (or the address of one of your neighbors) I can search the public records of other homes in your neighborhood to see if it looks like any of them had kitec fittings (if one has them, generally all in the neighborhood have them). Hope this helps!
2 other ways to check for Kitec:

Locate the pipe coming from the outside to the main shutoff valve closest to the water heater. In general, Kitec came in two colors, blue (cold water) and orange (hot water).

or...

Check inside your electrical panel for a yellow sticker which reads: "home has a nonmetallic Kitec or PlumbBetter piping system".

Lawsuit info:

http://www.plumbingdefect.com/index.html

Update:

URGENT: The deadline for sending in your Claim Form is October 31st 2012
URGENT – ACT NOW OR FORFEIT $2,650‐$5,400 IN SETTLEMENT RELIEF

http://www.plumbingdefect.com/Assets...or-website.pdf

Last edited by eventusstultorummagister; 08-11-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Kitec has nothing to do with sewers.

I know of no suits over sewers. It should however be covered as a builder's defect. Try - it does not cost anything to try.

Let us know how the City responds. Should be straight forward to get it fixed.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 AM

207 posts, read 509,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post

Update:

URGENT: The deadline for sending in your Claim Form is October 31st 2012
URGENT – ACT NOW OR FORFEIT $2,650‐$5,400 IN SETTLEMENT RELIEF
The october deadline only applies to certain builders/communities. You can view them here:

http://kitec.tcssettlements.com/acti...mb_program.php

Old 08-11-2012, 02:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,374 times
Quote:
The clog didn't go away and I had another clog in the main line. I actually got the quote wrong. The price was not $800; he meant the line that needs replacement is 8 ft long and the cost is $3200. I called another plumber and he snaked a camera down the line and found some blockage/break in the drain line underneath the lawn that is 4 ft long and 6 ft deep. He said his camera could not go any furhter and he can't see beyond the blockage. I authorized him to dig up the lawn and repair/replace the line because this constant flooding of the main line is such a huge hassle. It destroyed my carpet and living room. However, that was only part of the problem. After he replaced and repaired the main line underneath my lawn, he snaked the camera down the sewer line that is owned by the City and found there is a flat/restriction. He is going to make a video of that findings so I can submit to the City to prove their sewer line is a problem and they need to get it fixed. He said the clogging problem should not come back in six months but I would need to get the City to fix their side of the pipe as soon as possible.

The house was built in 2004. It is just my luck. None of my neighbors have this problem. Not only the drain line under my lawn was damaged, even the City sewer line connected to my drain line is now a problem. According to the plumber, the developer probably did not install the drain line properly. However, I am not sure if I can get them to reimburse the cost now that I had paid for it. The worst part is it is not even fixed.
The City should repair their portion of your sewer line. Have you talked with them directly?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 78,778 times
This turns out to be such a nightmare. I talked to the City Sewer Line department. They claimed that they are only responsible for the 8" main line and the 6" line from our property to the main 8" line is our responsibility. That is a total of 30 feet of lines from our lawn out and they are all under concrete. I already spent $3k to fix the lines under the lawn.They broke due to builder error. And now these lines into the main street are also defective. It'll take tens of thousands to fix and I'm just a small home owner who doesn't have this kind of money laying around. The builder is Southwest and I've been trying to contact them. I have a bad feeling that the builder is going to claim the warranty for the house is already expired. It is just no one is assuming responsibility to what appears to be a defect when they first built the place. We really need some help here.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
This turns out to be such a nightmare. I talked to the City Sewer Line department. They claimed that they are only responsible for the 8" main line and the 6" line from our property to the main 8" line is our responsibility. That is a total of 30 feet of lines from our lawn out and they are all under concrete. I already spent $3k to fix the lines under the lawn.They broke due to builder error. And now these lines into the main street are also defective. It'll take tens of thousands to fix and I'm just a small home owner who doesn't have this kind of money laying around. The builder is Southwest and I've been trying to contact them. I have a bad feeling that the builder is going to claim the warranty for the house is already expired. It is just no one is assuming responsibility to what appears to be a defect when they first built the place. We really need some help here.
Here is a good breakdown as to what your rights are.

Shinnick, Ryan & Ransavage P.C. - Newsletter

Send me a DM with your address or the legal name of the tract and I will see if I can run you down any information.

You may also want to discuss this with your HOA...if yours is screwedup you are likely to have company.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Here is a good breakdown as to what your rights are.

Shinnick, Ryan & Ransavage P.C. - Newsletter

Send me a DM with your address or the legal name of the tract and I will see if I can run you down any information.

You may also want to discuss this with your HOA...if yours is screwedup you are likely to have company.
Sent you the DM already. I can't even find the number of the builder. According to the HOA, they are Southwest but their listed number in LV is already disconnected.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 PM

I already talked to the HOA but they said it is the first time that they ever heard about a complaint about the sewer line. They said they don't know anything about it and there is nothing that they can do. I called a lot of City Departments until I got the Reclamation department who apparently handles the sewer line. The city guy told me that it is Clarke County policy that the homeowner is responsible for the 6" sewer line in the street and I also shouldn't expect the builder to warranty a house that is already 8 years old. He said the 6" sewer line extends from the lawn of the property to the junction of the 8" main line and it is the home owner's responsibility to repair it even though it is a defect. Someone needs to hire a mechanical company to break into the concrete, dig up the lines, repair it and repave it with concrete. This is the scale of effort that is over and beyond a small home owner can afford. In the meantime, the only thing that we can do is to snake the line whenever it is clogged and it runs $120 each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: