Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Flower View Post
And for the record, the reason why I posted this was mostly to ask about what the people themselves are like as a general rule, how accessible the public is, .
If that's what you wanted to know, why didn't you ask that in the first place? It's difficult to make any sense of your original series of questions. (They're so disjointed as to be confusing.)

I don't think people here are particularly friendly. At least they're not in my neighborhood. But you're young and will likely live in an apartment complex full of young people -- so your experience will probably be different. Where you work and the hours you keep will be a factor as well. Many of us work odd hours -- this town NEVER shuts down. So you will have neighbors that you never see -- they're waking up when you're getting ready to sleep.

I have no idea what you mean by public access. So I'll skip that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Lol you guys sure are friendly. :-P I asked similar questions in other city forums and everyone was pretty nice and helpful. You guys seem a little grumpy? Is it 'cause of how hot it is there right now?

And for the record, the reason why I posted this was mostly to ask about what the people themselves are like as a general rule, how accessible the public is, and since most of the topics people post in these forums are asking about housing costs (which are found readily online, so I don't need to ask you all) or where to live in the city which is not particularly relevant to me. Plus a lot of the threads I did find were relatively old and I know a lot of places are in flux right now with the economy so I wanted a bit more up to date information... but I think I got my answer since ya'll were the only grumpy ones I've talked to so far. :-P And yes, I know you don't care, that you don't need need an some insipid millennial graduate that's just out to make your lives miserable. It's all good. You don't have to tell me, I can hear it already.
Hey you are a natural for the Las Vegas list whether you come here or not. This is actually a pretty informative place...better than most. But it does have real views and a certain acidic flavor.

I also think you need to sort a bit. Do you find the rust belt charming? Do you care about weather? Do you mind putting up with the cold and snow? The nature of places like Milwaukee and Minneapolis is simply so distant for a Vegas or a Phoenix or an LA as to be difficult to reconcile. I grew up in the borderline south/midwest, went to college and worked a long time in the east. I will not at this point set foot across the Mississippi except for funerals and weddings. And only some weddings.

Note that the difference is more than weather though that partially drives it. The west is less formal and more open. Not necessarily friendlier...but less formal. You may be ignored but no one does it on purpose.

I think in general young people here are very similar to those elsewhere in the southwest. Not better not worse. The strip has influence only in that it provides a large set of reasonably good jobs for the young...and that creates a reasonably well off class of young people. The average salaries for instance are still higher in Las Vegas than in Phoenix. That is in spite of the apparent better economic climate there.

California has its natural advantages. Suffers only from a high cost of living without commensurate salaries for the young. You may enjoy CA but you will live much better in Las Vegas.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

32 posts, read 215,574 times
I'm all over the place at the moment, mostly just staying open to my options... I've been around the country in my youth and never developed a particular attachment to a place. But I would like to. And so I'm looking around everywhere to see what's what... good to know where to not go though.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:20 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Well, basically if you're THAT sensitive, best not to move to LV....this place will eat you alive!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
LOL

And I'd be willing to bet that a year from now, after asking people in all these cities around the country to tell her what life there is like, our little Italian Flower won't be living in any one of them. In fact, she will most likely be living in the exact same location she is today.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:05 PM

419 posts, read 907,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL

And I'd be willing to bet that a year from now, after asking people in all these cities around the country to tell her what life there is like, our little Italian Flower won't be living in any one of them. In fact, she will most likely be living in the exact same location she is today.
Agree 100%. This has all the earmarks of someone who goes shopping all day but buys nothing. When your interests range from Alabama to Minneapolis(!), you're not serious (other than wasting people's time).

Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Lol you guys sure are friendly. :-P I asked similar questions in other city forums and everyone was pretty nice and helpful. You guys seem a little grumpy? Is it 'cause of how hot it is there right now?

And for the record, the reason why I posted this was mostly to ask about what the people themselves are like as a general rule, how accessible the public is, and since most of the topics people post in these forums are asking about housing costs (which are found readily online, so I don't need to ask you all) or where to live in the city which is not particularly relevant to me. Plus a lot of the threads I did find were relatively old and I know a lot of places are in flux right now with the economy so I wanted a bit more up to date information... but I think I got my answer since ya'll were the only grumpy ones I've talked to so far. :-P And yes, I know you don't care, that you don't need need an some insipid millennial graduate that's just out to make your lives miserable. It's all good. You don't have to tell me, I can hear it already.
Most likely the reason you received the answers here that you did is that the Las Vegas forum has many, many more people asking similar style questions about relocating here.

I believe the place is what you make of it. There are many interest clubs and groups you could look into. I agree with the others that because it is a 24 hr town, people are coming and going at all different hours. I don't see many people hanging out in my neighborhood, no where near anywhere I lived in Michigan, but I can ALWAYS go somewhere and find people, at any given time of the day or night. If you are an outgoing person who is not afraid to get out there and make things happen, you shouldn't have a problem. So, the questions should be more of a personal comfort, IMO. Especially if it doesn't depend on employment.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,551 times
I think living in Vegas full-time is a great choice. It's America's favorite playground. You could not get more affordable housing for your money. Picking the right area is key. I would use the crime maps and pick the locations that have the lowest crime. My favorites are the Southwest and the Northwest. You'll see the areas when you get here and make the choice that is right for you. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM

48 posts, read 152,465 times
For the most part, the users of this forum aren't at all friendly. They must have full-time careers in posting here just to be trolls. I've encountered a few myself. What a delightful way to spend one's time.

I wasn't going to add my input, due to this thread's age, but the little message saying 'this is still read by thousands of people' prompted this. As someone that has lived in Vegas for almost three years, I can safely tell you that unless you frequent Summerlin, Henderson, the Southern Highlands area or the Centennial areas, you won't find too much friendliness. People, for the most part, are so rude they're vile. Yes, I understand bad eggs exist everywhere-that should be at everyone's preschool level of understanding. But to live where there's a heavy concentration of vile, disgustingly crude people is aggravating, to put it very lightly. Don't expect people to beam at you and greet you.

Traffic, as many people claim it is everywhere, is a rotten nightmare. At any given time in the day, it can take 30-40 mins to go a 15-20 min distance, whether you're on or off the highway. Traffic accidents are aplenty, as proven by the dozens of injury attorney billboards.

Not much to do outside of gambling, club hopping, drinking, shopping and eating, even more so if you're considering a move from a state like California. There are a handful of paid attractions, like Red Rock Canyon, that you may walk through, and libraries offer free activities-but they're targeted mostly at children.

I recently heard someone giddily say they love Vegas because they can grocery shop and get a beer whenever they like. I know a low(er) cost of living and job economy are important factors that may make or break a move, but if that would fit your mentality, Vegas will be a paradise for you-as it is for the thousands that adore it and happily live here. Plenty of people defend Vegas with the same reasoning-you can drink and shop whenever you want. Unless that suits you, along with the complete absence of rain, please find another alternative.

Everyone's favorite city isn't all bad, though. Vegas has plenty of juice and smoothie bars. The Donut Bar in Downtown Fremont is paradise for donut lovers like myself. Some libraries are rather pleasant attractions themselves. But that's all I can give you. Don't expect plenty of (well-maintained, lush) parks, rivers, bustling farmer's markets or even hospitable culture.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
Don't expect plenty of (well-maintained, lush) parks, rivers, bustling farmer's markets or even hospitable culture.
Yeah, that's kind of expected when you live in the um, DESERT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas