Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

ALWAYS count to three when the red light changes and you're the first car....that will be the number of cars that run the red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 22,755 times
Wow--great stuff. ParkTwain, JFKIII and Buzz123 --Thank you very much (and keep them coming!!). Dynimageliv--good thoughts about the traffic lights!!

Yeah--When I come to Las Vegas I rarely spend time on the Strip. I might walk through just to see what's new...but honestly, I usually avoid the endless tromp-tromp-tromp of people. I don't drink...I don't gamble (statistics and I never get along--why would that change now?). I am perfectly happy just cruising around the communities. The last time I was there I took a friend of mine wayyyy up to the west side of town, past the 215 where there's new development happening. We drove to where the paved road turned to dirt at the very base of the mountains. There we spent maybe an hour just sitting, talking and watching the shimmering lights of the city. Instead of spending days perched in front of a blackjack table we figured out how to climb to the top of the Silica Dome. Spent hours up there just taking it all in.

So anyways, these are all extremely helpful! I do have a black car (ulp!) but accomodating Mother Nature's sun shouldn't be too bad a problem. A few years back I walked several miles down Maryland Parkway and up Tropicana in 110 degree heat. Didn't bother me at all--lol. Here on the shores of Lake Superior we have the opposite (which I HATE!). We run the gas-driven heat nine months out of the year. The bills get close to four digits during the spells when we have minus twenty degrees F. And though we, too, have to make a mad dash to get from climate controlled (heat) point "A" to point "B", we usually end up having to plod through a snowbank to get there, which means frozen-soaked shoes, socks and pants and bitterly cold hands and noses. And when the car gets stuck in the street 'cause they haven't plowed? One word: ugh.

Question: where's "H and Owens"? Is that in that north side of town that always looks pretty rundown?

Any others--??

Last edited by Cyberyukon; 10-04-2007 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
I like your attitude! And I think you and LV just might do well together! Good luck, there, and check out that other thread I attached...its got some good stuff in it, too.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:35 AM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
H and Owens is the area just north and west of downtown. All of the 'alphabet' streets between Bonanza and Lake Mead west of MLK are a pretty dangerous part of town. Besides this one, the only other area that you surely don't want to end up in after dark is the neighborhood west of the Boulevard Mall. Other areas have crime and danger, but not concentrated like these two.

Here's a tip: Don't count on Embarq unless you have no other choice. This could be the lousiest utility company in all history, except for the one in Erin Brockovich that killed a whole town.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM

49 posts, read 224,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
H and Owens is the area just north and west of downtown. All of the 'alphabet' streets between Bonanza and Lake Mead west of MLK are a pretty dangerous part of town. Besides this one, the only other area that you surely don't want to end up in after dark is the neighborhood west of the Boulevard Mall. Other areas have crime and danger, but not concentrated like these two.
Like Chris Rock jokes, no matter what city you are in, you don't want to be on MLK ...true in Vegas, true in Atlanta, probably true everywhere.

How far west of the Boulevard Mall is it bad? I'm marking areas on my map that are relatively dangerous just so I am sure to avoid them on future trips or if I move there.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
Up to about Paradise. This area is not to be totally avoided though. Bagelmania on Twain and Swenson is one of the best breakfast spots in town. I would just steer clear of the side streets and definitely don't go walking around here after dark.

MLK is a crucial street for travelling North/South, because the I-15 and Rancho Drive can get backed up really bad. I just thought of another tip. If you are travelling south on MLK, get off at or before Alta for two reasons - 1. The I-15's Charleston exit dumps all the traffic onto MLK causing much backup and 2. the Nation of Islam are always at the intersection of MLK and Charleston looking for donations or selling papers. They have a captive audience if you get caught in this traffic!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,215 times
I have been on a lot of MLK's and none of them have been in great areas. Detroit's of STL's made me nervous and I was raised in a bad part of Detroit.

I cannot stress enough the looking both ways on green comment. I was out there for a Law Enforcement seminar and we had an officer total his rental car because domeone ran the light. Lets hope NLV's traffic camera experiment convinces the legislature to allow traffic cameras. They really worked in Denver.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I have been on a lot of MLK's and none of them have been in great areas. Detroit's of STL's made me nervous and I was raised in a bad part of Detroit.

I cannot stress enough the looking both ways on green comment. I was out there for a Law Enforcement seminar and we had an officer total his rental car because domeone ran the light. Lets hope NLV's traffic camera experiment convinces the legislature to allow traffic cameras. They really worked in Denver.
Read the AZ DOT studies of Phoenix and Scottsdale. It is a long way from clear....other than as a revenue producer. Seem as I follow the subject the successful implementations keep bad records.

It appears very sensitive to the particulars of the intersection. In some it does a lot of good. In others it nets negative. I am not sure how you get a good result from the NLV test. Without the ticket I would think you would get a lot less compliance. The argument is the number of rear ends caused versus the number of Tbones avoided. Not quite sure how that is tested without the ticket.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Always wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
Especially if you are a restaurant worker.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:00 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Lets hope NLV's traffic camera experiment convinces the legislature to allow traffic cameras. They really worked in Denver.
Let's don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas