Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
Right to refusal is not the point. The point is that he has a "buddy of his" that specializes in everything. You dont, the producers found a guy for you. And then he low balls everybody. I know he's in it to make money, but damn. I would rather watch here comes honey boo boo.
That's why most TVs come with a channel changer and there are 5,697 channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM

You guys are taking "Reality" TV way too seriously. Nobody just walks in with something to sell or pawn. It's all planned, researched, and, if not tightly scripted they at least are given talking points, in advance. Shots are blocked. Retakes occur on probably every single shot from different angles; otherwise you'd just have boring home movies. It's entertainment.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
****. I wasnt talking about pawn brokering as a business (I understand exactly how it works) I was talking about how it's presented on that specific TV show, and I even said "I know he's in it to make money" if you had actually read my post. It's a Las Vegas version of "Cash in the Attic" because no one is really going to buy an animation cel from an obscure disney movie on the strip in Las Vegas. Its just guided reality like all of the other junk on tv. No pun intended.
Wanna bet?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
I've always wondered how the "experts" are compensated...

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You guys are taking "Reality" TV way too seriously. Nobody just walks in with something to sell or pawn. It's all planned, researched, and, if not tightly scripted they at least are given talking points, in advance. Shots are blocked. Retakes occur on probably every single shot from different angles; otherwise you'd just have boring home movies. It's entertainment.
In fact, it's been reported that you almost never see Rick, The Old Man, Big Hoss or Chumlee in the store and that they only come in to film episodes.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM

762 posts, read 1,562,167 times
I pawned my wedding ring there once without knowing it was the "pawn stars" they are open 24 hours and this was at 2:00 am or so.
A week later I was standing in this long line (they even have misters to cool people it is that long) to pick it up. I was thinking people are really struggling all these people waiting to pawn stuff. I was feeling quite bad for people.
Then realized they were taking pic's of the store etc. So I thought something might be up??? I asked a guy at the front if I am picking up a pawn do I stand in line. He had me go right up to the counter.
ROTFLMAO
I will never forget this moment of desperation in my life
Gave that ring to my daughter so I would never do that again.

And why so passionate about this topic TexasVine? maybe you should own a pawn shop it sounds like you work quite hard finding the real....... value of junk
I have sold so much junk on ebay for great money, but if someone is lazy and just wants a quick buck nothing wrong with pawn shops.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I've always wondered how the "experts" are compensated...
I've shared a table at a media lunch with Mark Hall-Patton a couple of times, and I'm sure his only compensation is mostly in the form of publicity for the museum. Wally of Wally's Honda is our go to guy for the Accord, and he says he got a lot of business out of it. It's worth a fortune just to be on that show once, let alone as a regular. There have been two or three spin offs from it here in town and some of the experts got their own shows. I would guess that those who don't get an offer from Rick probably sold whatever it was that the shop turned down, right after the show aired. I have a good friend that was on with a Russian missile launch key. Mark said it was a different kind of key and not valuable, but we know he was wrong. Steve didn't really want to sell it anyway, it was just to be another interesting segment of the show. Most people are not fully aware of the immense power of television, but whole industries have been created from television advertising alone. After all these years television is still the most believable and influential medium there is. That's the compensation.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've shared a table at a media lunch with Mark Hall-Patton a couple of times, and I'm sure his only compensation is mostly in the form of publicity for the museum. Wally of Wally's Honda is our go to guy for the Accord, and he says he got a lot of business out of it. It's worth a fortune just to be on that show once, let alone as a regular. There have been two or three spin offs from it here in town and some of the experts got their own shows. I would guess that those who don't get an offer from Rick probably sold whatever it was that the shop turned down, right after the show aired. I have a good friend that was on with a Russian missile launch key. Mark said it was a different kind of key and not valuable, but we know he was wrong. Steve didn't really want to sell it anyway, it was just to be another interesting segment of the show. Most people are not fully aware of the immense power of television, but whole industries have been created from television advertising alone. After all these years television is still the most believable and influential medium there is. That's the compensation.
Great post Buzz, lot's of interesting information. I'm wondering how they were compensated before there was show, or were their services not used then. And now that there IS a show, how are they compensated for non-aired appraisals (or are they only used for the show now?) I guess what I'm really asking is are they only there for the shows benefit?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Great post Buzz, lot's of interesting information. I'm wondering how they were compensated before there was show, or were their services not used then. And now that there IS a show, how are they compensated for non-aired appraisals (or are they only used for the show now?) I guess what I'm really asking is are they only there for the shows benefit?

Obviously, they get referrals as a result of being part of the show.

However, a lot of the regular appraisers are truly interested in the subject matter even if there is NOT a camera thrust in their face. For example, I have a friend who collects minicars. If I see a vehicle 60 miles away, he'll gladly go and take a look at it. And if someone brings a car, he'll appraise it for them.

I have to believe that if the crew does NOT buy an artifact, their expert MIGHT be in the first position to make a better offer.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
If you're talking about the local "experts" the show uses, they all run local businesses in their respective specialties and most have been here for years. My wife and I are always amazed to find we have so many experts on so many different things here in Las Vegas. But it's a big city, and there is a lot of money here; plus people here are from all over the U.S., and even the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas