Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times

Advertisements

What can I plant that will grow quickly here and will provide a lot of shade? Assuming I am willing to water and care for it properly. The quick growth thing is important because I don't have 40 years to wait for the tree to be big enough to cast a shadow.

Is there such a thing?

Many of my neighbors have beautiful big shade trees but they have been there since the houses were built.

Our weather conditions are so extreme I think this is a tough question. Most traditional shade trees would be dead by the end of the first summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,975,073 times
Ihave had VERY good luck with a California Pepper tree and ALSO a Texas umbrella Tree....

Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Ihave had VERY good luck with a California Pepper tree and ALSO a Texas umbrella Tree....
Thanks! I will google these and read!

OK, that Texas Umbrella Tree is beautiful! I was ready to do that one till I read that each and every part of the tree is poisonous and eating as few as 6 berries can kill you. My dogs love berries... Darn!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 08-19-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 PM

we have a tree in the front that i had never heard of.....its gorgeous but dont know how long they took to grow it....It's a Catalpa... easy to walk under, huge leaves.....I love it .....

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
we have a tree in the front that i had never heard of.....its gorgeous but dont know how long they took to grow it....It's a Catalpa... easy to walk under, huge leaves.....I love it .....
Does your flower in the spring? I'm trying to figure out what variety will grow here. Some flower and others don't.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 PM

we bought here 'post spring' but when we looked at the house i seem to remember some blue flowers

Old 08-19-2012, 03:53 PM

How about the Royal Empress Tree? Anyone have one of these? They SAY it will grow here.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,031,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What can I plant that will grow quickly here and will provide a lot of shade? Assuming I am willing to water and care for it properly. The quick growth thing is important because I don't have 40 years to wait for the tree to be big enough to cast a shadow.

Is there such a thing?

Many of my neighbors have beautiful big shade trees but they have been there since the houses were built.

Our weather conditions are so extreme I think this is a tough question. Most traditional shade trees would be dead by the end of the first summer.
That post made me smile, and yes, there are such trees here. Mine just reproduced itself in the front yard and it's free if you'd like it. It's a form of Mesquite and the original baby tree was given to me by a friend from Boulder City. It grew to fifteen feet tall in a couple of years.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,350,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That post made me smile, and yes, there are such trees here. Mine just reproduced itself in the front yard and it's free if you'd like it. It's a form of Mesquite and the original baby tree was given to me by a friend from Boulder City. It grew to fifteen feet tall in a couple of years.

This post interests me, as I have same question. Do you know name of tree NLVgal? I can't help wondering sometimes what people must be thinking when they buy a house void of any nice trees, and don't think to plant any. They don't cost an arm and leg if you buy them young. Maybe no one thinks there going to be there long enough to reap the rewards.
Unless, already provided. It's the first thing I do when I buy a house. (Well, almost the first thing) My mango trees are now of sufficient size and age to produce an abundant mango crop. (First time this summer) Now, I'm moving to Vegas. Well, at least I'll make some other soul a happy camper.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM

62 posts, read 202,450 times
There is an excellent booklet called Trees for Tomorrow, Southern Nevada guide to tree selection and care:
http://lvsnag.org/pdf/trees.pdf
The guide was developped by local experts. It gives a description of each tree with a photograph.
The trees were chosen according to the following criteria:
1 - tough and adaptable, e.g. tolerant of full sun, various soils, heat, cold and wind
2 - moderately fast growing
3 - water efficient and low maintenance
4 - reasonably easy to find in local nurseries

The booklet has charts separating the trees in small, medium and large categories with info on flowers, growth rate and whether the tree is deciduous in case you want sunshine through your windows in the winter.
After you identify a few trees meeting your requirements, you can visit free local demonstration gardens to see them in person and find out what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas