Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:44 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,424 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I am wrong but Unlawful driving is driving a stolen car?

It really depends on the priors and what the arrest report says, but the person would be technical able to practice medicine in the state.

Tell them to never have contact with the law. They can have this expunged in time. It's a non-violent crime.

I offer others hope, I myself was convicted of a felony DUI in 1998. I was in the Army at the time and thankfully they let me stay in. I was able to have it cleaned up and get licensed in the state. Though I still told them about the convictions. You may have to work harder for work, but it is possible. Before it was expunged, I worked for Harrahs, I was just honest with them and they hired me.

I know how it feels, it feels shameful to have to tell everyone you were convicted of a felony, but you'd be surprised how many people will understand. Just have a positive attitude and believe in yourself. That would be my advice to the person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,487 times
I appreciate all the advice that everyone has given. Some of the things that folks put on here had nothing to do with the question I asked. But, it's ok. To the last person who replied last, it wasn't a stolen car. The person who got caught with the car actually borrowed it from a friend and the actual charge is 4th Degree Fleeing and Eluding in the state of Michigan. It's the persons only felony and they haven't been in trouble since.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiejae84 View Post
I appreciate all the advice that everyone has given. Some of the things that folks put on here had nothing to do with the question I asked. But, it's ok. To the last person who replied last, it wasn't a stolen car. The person who got caught with the car actually borrowed it from a friend and the actual charge is 4th Degree Fleeing and Eluding in the state of Michigan. It's the persons only felony and they haven't been in trouble since.
Tell her to get it expunged and she won't even have to tell employers. It's the best thing to do.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
If you were arrested it is on your FBI rap sheet. Could come back to haunt you if you ever applied for a high security position. Won't show on employment background checks though.

lol... I have held a "secret" clearence before working for Rockwell international in the STS division. it didnt seem to affect that.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I'm surprised a public pool (square box / no transition) would even be skate able. Reminds me of the good 'ol days of skating with the Powell Peralta boys. Skate or die brah.

yeap... it's a one hit wonder and in way to big to pump. but we were young and full of beans so any vertical was good to go of us.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
lol... I have held a "secret" clearence before working for Rockwell international in the STS division. it didnt seem to affect that.

Not sure what you had, but I assure you all arrest are on your FBI rap sheet.

I was teasing more than anything though.

I would be surprised if they did not at least ask you about the arrest, but what do I know. Most likely because there was not a conviction and they did not care.

Point is, your past can hurt you. People never convicted of crimes think they are good and find out that the time they got arrested for selling drugs is still on file even though it was thrown out of court and will keep them from being a doctor/nurse/pharmacist.

Your arrest in and of itself would not be a big deal. These young kids doing the occupy wall street thing get arrested and the charges dropped. The arrest is still on the rap sheet and guess what? They will never get a level I clearance it could even harm their ability to hold any federal job or join any branch of the military/law enforcement.

If you went before a state licensing board and did not disclose the arrest they might deny the license.

I had a felony but told the state board about it even though it had been pardoned and expunged. Why? Because it shows up on my fingerprint background check. I explained to them my story of being a selfish dipstick and they gave me a license.

Yeah I know a thing or two about it.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,487 times
Exaday, the unlawful driving is in michigan. It's 4th degree fleeing and eluding which is the lowest u can get from driving from the police in the state of michigan. Sonit probaly wont affect the person as much, but i do appreciate the advice u gave. thank you

Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
the system is incredibly forgiving if you are honest and show contrition.

I have an active TS and have had had SCI access before. I have also worked with many colleagues who possessed similar Top Secret clearances and none of us were squeaky clean. One even spent time in Juvey as a young adult and later became an 1811 (a federal agent) for the military.

I currently work as contract BI investigator--some of the stuff shows up and some does not. Arrest and even conviction records are not always deposited.

That being said, be honest. Don't lie or try to hide it.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Tell her to get it expunged and she won't even have to tell employers. It's the best thing to do.
"Expungement" as the term is generally used doesn't actually exist in many states--in those states, the conviction record doesn't completely disappear, and not disclosing that it happened but was later set aside may cause more of a problem than disclosing it up front.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Expungement" as the term is generally used doesn't actually exist in many states--in those states, the conviction record doesn't completely disappear, and not disclosing that it happened but was later set aside may cause more of a problem than disclosing it up front.
Wrong:
In the common law legal system, an expungement proceeding is a type of lawsuit in which a first time offender of a prior criminal conviction seeks that the records of that earlier process be sealed, thereby making the records unavailable through the state or Federal repositories. If successful, the records are said to be "expunged". Black's Law Dictionary defines "expungement of record" as the "Process by which record of criminal conviction is destroyed or sealed from the state or Federal repository."[1] While expungement deals with an underlying criminal record, it is a civil action in which the subject is the petitioner or plaintiff asking a court to declare that the records be expunged.

A very real distinction exists between an expungement and a pardon. When an expungement is granted, the person whose record is expunged may, for most purposes, treat the event as if it never occurred. A pardon (also called “executive clemency”), on the other hand, does not “erase” the event. Rather, it constitutes forgiveness. In the United States, an expungement can be granted only by a judge, while a pardon can be granted only by a governor (for state law offenses) or the President (for federal offenses). In Nebraska pardons are by vote of the governor, attorney general and secretary of state.[2]

Each jurisdiction whose law allows expungement has its own definitions of expungement proceedings. Generally, expungement is the process to "remove from general review" the records pertaining to a case. In many jurisdictions, however, the records may not completely "disappear" and may still be available to law enforcement, to sentencing judges on subsequent offenses, and to corrections facilities to which the individual may be sentenced on subsequent convictions.

It's not available for viewing by anyone except the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas