Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,405 times

Advertisements

I have been in Vegas for almost 9 years now, not exactly my choice in cities to move to, but I have always tried to make the best of it. I worked 3 years in QC at one of the call centers, then almost 5 years at the grocery store here.

This past July I wanted to start fresh and a friend of mine offered me to move with her to Cali and I transferred my job down there but things didn't work out as I was terminated due to my availability (I had to work around the bus schedule since it wasn't 24/7). The union and corporate HR deemed it as wrongful termination and I got my job back and a offer to transfer back to Vegas which I took, and now I find out that all the stores that I can go to have no openings.

So now I'm on unemployment and trying to find work but I seem to be at a loss because no one will call me back for any interviews. Is the job market really that bad that I can't get anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Depends on the point of view..he job market is tight.....the employers can afford to hire only the best and most reliable.....yer gonna have to eran yor way in agan

Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM

That's one of the things that I hate tho, My file is still open with the company and all I have to do is find a store that has a opening for my position and then all is good, but if only it worked that way and now I'm just stuck trying to find a new job or a store that gets a opening that I can just transfer into.

I have put in so many applications since I came back to Vegas, I just hoped I would have gotten something by now since its been almost a month being back here.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Regardless of what part of the country you live in, if you have limitations on availability, they will pick someone who doesn't. Most employers will not work around you. You need to work around them.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 PM

I had to put in availability when I was in cali and they already knew beforehand that I took the bus, and had agreed that they wanted me in that store, hence why it was deemed as a unfair termination.

Now back in Vegas I don't have to worry about putting in any availability because the bus lines are 24/7 for the most part, so that won't be a issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas