Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

I would agree with Scoop in the general case but not this one. Depends on what is causing the leak and what it is like behind the wallboard. You might be talking about removing the whole shower. Or it might simply mean patching the wall in a manner that blends in well. I know a couple of people...watch for DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memememe View Post
Even if the wall itself needs replacing?
Yes. As long as the leak which caused the damage in the first place is isolated and fixed first.

All you're going to do is screw 1/2" cement board to the studs, and then thinset tiles to that. Easy peasy. That's not even a full day's work.

Again, as long as the original leak has been repaired first. Go to Floor and Decor, they'll set you up -- the real one in Henderson. Not the people who ripped off the name on Decatur. I don't know why that outfit hasn't been sued out of existence.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM

90 posts, read 184,975 times
Thank you guys, so very much I'm gettin on it!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Although we shouldnt have spent the money, my wife and I tackled our kitchen, something we've never done before! We had a smallish kitchen next to a breakfast nook and decided since we have a seperate dining area, we didnt need the nook.
We also didnt have an island, so we built one with a sheetrock pony wall and moved the sink and dishwasher out into it. We bought all of our cabinets pre maid at Lowes and with some careful planning, made it work so they would all fit with very few filler panels needed.

Alltogether we spent around 5,000 for a complete kitchen gut and remodel, the only thing we didnt do was the tile, I had a friend do it. I also had to hire someone to come in and jack hammer a trench, so I could relocate plumbing and electrical. We ended up with a very large island. While I was doing all the electrical, I added a ton of outlets, something you cant have too much of in a kitchen.
Now when my wife makes me do dishes, I can stand at my sink and watch my 72 inch big screen!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Just curious, did you pull permits for all that? The reason I ask, not to shake a finger at you, just curious since I am looking at doing something similar and wondering if I should pull permits. I am looking at doing most of the work DIY as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Alltogether we spent around 5,000 for a complete kitchen gut and remodel, the only thing we didnt do was the tile, I had a friend do it. I also had to hire someone to come in and jack hammer a trench, so I could relocate plumbing and electrical. We ended up with a very large island. While I was doing all the electrical, I added a ton of outlets, something you cant have too much of in a kitchen.
Now when my wife makes me do dishes, I can stand at my sink and watch my 72 inch big screen!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Just curious, did you pull permits for all that? The reason I ask, not to shake a finger at you, just curious since I am looking at doing something similar and wondering if I should pull permits. I am looking at doing most of the work DIY as well.
When we bought our place, we didn't pull Jack. Our bank was interested in our plans. But that was the extent of it. We installed tile for 1/3 of the house. And hardwood floors for the other 2/3. We did all the work ourselves.

And here's the thing. We didn't have a CLUE what we were doing when we started. I come from a background of craftsmen. But I never cared to learn from them when I was a kid -- much to my detriment. But I am comfortable ripping stuff out and replacing it. After all, what's the worst that can happen? Diddly. That's what. Worst case scenario, you hire someone because you couldn't do the job. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

We talked to the people at the flooring shop (Floor & Decor Outlets of America) and just whacked it out. Our work turned out better than anyone we know. Why? We were homeowners doing the best job we could. Never minimize that. Determined homeowners ALWAYS do the best work -- so long as they have the right tools, and a little knowledge. There is no, "good enough." There's, "Let's pull that up and do it again." You're not going to get that with hired hands. They just want to finish and go home.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
FWIW, when I was shopping for a larger home in the Bay Area recently, I was told that an appraiser could not include the value of any remodeling projects unless the project was done with permits, and the inspections were completed. In this case, lack of permits can make it much tougher to sell, as it will limit how much a bank is willing to lend to a prospective buyer, especially if there has been major work done.

The house I ended up buying had an $85,000 remodel done on the kitchen a few years back, which thankfully was done with all permits and inspections. A structural engineer was brought in because a load bearing wall was removed, and the floor and foundation had to be reinforced due to the weight of the countertops. I was able to look up every permit and inspection on the city web site. I had a copper repipe done and the plumber pulled a permit for it, as the inspection was just over $100. The city wants to charge over $400 to inspect an A/C install though, so I haven't decided whether to pull the permit. The work is already done; I was told by the HVAC contractor that I have six months to get one if I want the permit and inspection.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM

687 posts, read 4,404,356 times
Quote:

We did not and really didnt even think too much about it. We are very upside down in this house, as we bought it in 06 for a very high sum and now it's worth peanuts, so we really had no business spending this kind of money on it.
A friend of mine a few streets over is letting his house turn to crap and couldnt figure out why we would do so much to a house that isnt worth anything but as long as we're stuck with it, we want to enjoy it.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
I would think you pull permits if it gets at all external or has high value.

I would see no particular value to permits unless they change the area of the home or have high value.

I would also point out that after the fact permitting on a significant change can be a disaster.

I dealt with one deal where the permitting process vastly exceeded the cost of the original modification.

Note that an appraiser has no idea whether anything has been modified unless it is obvious or changes the basic dimensions of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas