Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM

399 posts, read 553,509 times

Advertisements

Is there any good fishing within a 3-4 hour drive of the valley?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,975,073 times
Lake Mead 1 hour

Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM

815 posts, read 2,044,399 times
check out LV Striper Club.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM

280 posts, read 569,445 times
Ive had pretty good luck down at Willow Beach south of the dam.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Lake Mead 1 hour
You drive too slow.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:34 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,219,492 times
I didn’t want to type all this again so I copied some old posts.

mojavedxer

Pine Lake 30 miles outside of Panguitch UT will offer better protection from the sun and has good camping facilities.

There are several in Southern Utah that are closer than Panguitch. The most beautiful is Navajo Lake as long as high altitude doesn't bother you. There is also Enterprise a little ways north of St, George but there aren't many trees there. It is nice for camping and fishing though. Pine Valley is very nice and is before you get to Enterprise, but it may be a day use area. You'd have to check. I think you can camp at Quail Creek Res which is very close to beautiful downtown St. George.

I think there have been some problems with Gunlock, but they may have been handled. Not sure I'd eat any fish out of that one though.

Sunnyside, NV, up toward Ely is also a good area. There are three or four lakes there. A little far to drive though. But if you don't mind the drive, Cave Lake near Ely is a great place to camp and fish. And it's relatively close to Great Basin Nat'l Park, and in Ely there is the train, etc.

+1 for Eagle Valley Res and/or the reservoir you come to before you get to EV, Echo Canyon State Rec Area. I prefer Echo for fishing over EV. Eagle Valley may be known as Spring Valley State Park now. Closer still, near Caliente, is Beaver Dam State Park.

One of the best kept secrets in Nevada is in the center of the state on SR 376 between Round Mountain (north of Tonopah) and Route 50 (the loneliest road in America). It's called Groves Lake near the little community of Kingston. Nice place to camp and fish. Up the road on Rt 50 is Austin, NV. Good place to visit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojavedxer
I guess that the amount of trees and camping facilities is ones own personal opinion. Personally I find Gunlock res too trashy and Enterprise does not have enough trees in the area. Eagle Valley and Beaver Creek are nice but the water levels have been so low for the last decade. Cave lake is nice but it always seems to be two crowed when I go. I guess that I am partial to Pine Lake and Topic res out of Panquitch since it seems to always be well stocked with trout and there is pretty of fire wood available near the camp site.
I'm with you on Gunlock and Enterprise. Best to do Enterprise in the late fall. Gunlock looks disgusting.

Kolob Reservoir at Zion Nat'l Park is nice too, but a little hard to find an empty camping spot sometimes.

Think I've been to Tropic Res, but don't remember Pine Lake. I keep thinking of Pine Valley up north of St. George. And isn't there a small lake near Cedar City? I can't remember the name of it; plus the one at Elk Meadows near Beaver.

Ever been to Strawberry, or Yankee Meadows? That's near Cedar City.

A room with no view at Lake Tahoe is about as rough as my "camping" experience gets these days. I'm done with hiking for miles at high altitudes to sleep on the hard ground with the bears. But I miss it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojavedxer
I checked out Strawberry and Yankee and it was nice but there was a crowd. It was a holiday weekend though. Never been to Kolob yet.
Nice thing about the Kolob Resevoir Road is it goes through part of Zion NP. It's a nice pleasant drive from Virgin to Cedar City, or vice versa, but a lot of it (maybe 30 miles) is dirt, so plan a leisurely trip. It's not passable in winter except by snowmobile. Kolob Reservoir Road, Zion National Park, Utah

That's not to be confused with Kolob Canyon Road which is another really nice place to visit in Zion, but only accessable from I-15 just south of Cedar City: Scenic Southern Utah: National Parks : Kolob Canyons

Oh heck, here's the whole thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...4-camping.html

Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,071,265 times
The Pacific Ocean is 4 hours away. Halibut, sand sharks, sea bass, and don't know what else that's all I've caught from the shore.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,031,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The Pacific Ocean is 4 hours away. Halibut, sand sharks, sea bass, and don't know what else that's all I've caught from the shore.
Those are all good eating.^^

If you are just pleasure fishing for a day, they also stock the lakes at Tule Springs aka. Floyd Lamb State Park, and Lorenzi Park.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM

399 posts, read 553,509 times
Thanks Buzz!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,975,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You drive too slow.
Tell that to the last Copper to give me a ticket........course that was about 20 years ago .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas