Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Oil! Have you not watched the news lately? It's booming there!
He'll yeah it is. There was a detailed story on 60 minutes or 20/20, can't remember which one. Guys with no experience making 90k. On site living conditions were a little rough though.

Sent from cell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Oil! Have you not watched the news lately? It's booming there!
Even with a boom, they have hundreds of thousands of open acres there. $800 to park a trailer in ND? You have to be kidding me? You can park a trailer in New York City (Liberty Harbor NJ) for that!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Ridiculous. Las Vegas unemployment 13%, North Dakota unemployment 2.5%. Most people who are unemployed came from the hospitality industry. LV, one of the worst choices you could make.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Ridiculous. Las Vegas unemployment 13%, North Dakota unemployment 2.5%. Most people who are unemployed came from the hospitality industry. LV, one of the worst choices you could make.
You don't live here, I assume.

Most of the unemployed came from the construction industry. We're STILL reeling from the loss of construction jobs. But hospitality has been chugging along. The middle-of-the-road restaurants have fared poorly, but the low-end and very high-end restaurants are doing just fine.

The restaurant where I work is making more money now than they did before the crash.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 PM

21 posts, read 35,444 times
The unemployment rate is awesome. Despite the complete lack of things to do up here, I wouldn't consider moving if I could find housing, but our lease is up in June, and we've been trying to find a place since last April. People who are making 90k are living out of campers. I live about 125 miles from the oil rigs, and we've seen a 12% population increase, plus increased traffic from the oil rigs, and they're expecting growth to continue rapidly. Our police department is struggling to keep up with crime, and attracting qualified officers is difficult without housing available.

It's a great place, if you're a single guy looking to get ahead and you're interested in working the rigs. If you aren't, don't bother: the cost of living is high. A lot of my friends have already moved on because they can't afford it here, even with jobs paying $15/hour popping up everywhere, and the rest are living with 5 adults to 3 bedroom mobile homes.

In short, the job market is good, but everything else is a disaster. It might work out nicely in 5-10 years, but I'd have to be crazy to wait it out.

We have a lot of open land (70,700 square miles). We also have a low state population (under 700,000 people in the entire state). Property values have increased within reasonable commuting distance to the towns, and outside of commuting distance, where do you work and purchase groceries?

Las Vegas was on the table because my girlfriend and her brother would like to live close to California, and they were under the impression that the job market is even worse there. It also seemed worth considering despite the unemployment rate because in a lot of states with high unemployment, restaurant jobs are still easy to find. Since I've known a few coworkers who have relocated there and found restaurant work with minimal effort, I'll push her in that direction instead if she's set on being close to home.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Good luck to you. A buddy of mine does security at a mancamp up there and makes six figures per year and only works 1/2 the year.

Consider other places than Vegas though.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Good luck to you. A buddy of mine does security at a mancamp up there and makes six figures per year and only works 1/2 the year.

Consider other places than Vegas though.
One of my friends who got out of the Army tried it for a year and said he could not hang. He went back to contracts in Iraq. I think that is saying a lot.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/739...-man-camp.html

Sent from cell...

Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
One of my friends who got out of the Army tried it for a year and said he could not hang. He went back to contracts in Iraq. I think that is saying a lot.

Earning-$100K-at-

Sent from cell...
Iraq was likely easier money and more of it. So smart move. A 92k tax exemption in Iraq plus 1/2 the time you just sit around and grab ass in the sandbox depending upon your job. Is it more dangerous, yea, but very few people get critically blown up or shot...yours truly not withstanding.

Life on a rig is hard work. Very hard. No sitting around and playing xbox jaw jacking with the homies and telling stories about your "girl" in Dubai or Manilla.

vegas is not the blue collar mecca it once was. I'd rather take the money today--even if it involves some initial separation or communal living--and leave in a few years with five or even six figures in the bank than eeking it out in Vegas praying that the overindulgence of others trickles down to you.

but i am sure the OP will be ok.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangecasualty View Post
The unemployment rate is awesome.

It's a great place, if you're a single guy looking to get ahead and you're interested in working the rigs. If you aren't, don't bother: the cost of living is high. A lot of my friends have already moved on because they can't afford it here, even with jobs paying $15/hour popping up everywhere, and the rest are living with 5 adults to 3 bedroom mobile homes.
It has got to be great when a stripper would rather dance in ND versus LV.

Strippers cash in on lonely oilmen - YouTube

Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
I would suggest going for an apartment in Vegas for a year then looking for a house....mobiles aren't a good choice here or usually anywhere. Apartments are cheap here...off the strip area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas