Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Doesn't matter who you are, there is a maximum weekly benefit and it depends on how much you made during the base period as to whether you get the max. I've seen stars get the max and I've seen them get less than it cost in gas to get to the office. Good thing people can file by phone or on-line now. Not sure what the new max. weekly benefit is now. It's over $300; I think close to $400, but I'd have to check that out. Last time I filed for UI many years ago it was less than $100 a week.
Bob Hope was one of the most famous UI collectors....one of the wealthiest men in the world and when a run closed he was filing the next day .....aso Jack Benny ALWAYS filed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Well we ran into Michael Jackson out by himself one time. An artsy/craftsy shop in Fashion Show Mall.

Interesting process. The staff basically closed the store. Blocked the entrance and told the other couple of customers in the store that Michael was there and just ask to get out. A very large crowd built up outside the store. When Michael left his "guys" surrounded him and set off at a fast pace leaving the crowd behind until he went into the next store which was then blocked off.

You can always watch some of the better bodies in LV at the gym at Rainbow and Cheyenne. Wow..

The Admiral had a nice chat with Sinatra at a bar in Santa Monica some years ago. I think she liked his manager better. She notes that the music in the place went to pure Sinatra as he entered.

I flew LA to London with David Frost. 6;00 PM flight. Sat down with 30 or 40 newspapers in his lap. Went through them in a couple of hours. Spilled his drink in my lap about then and we ceased to be friends.

Rode a half a dozen times with Robin Williams from Cleveland to LA on a red eye. He actually got to know some of us and would say hello. He was good traveling company unless he had a new broad. Then he did other things transcontinentally.

The Scintas of course are local and you run into them once in a while. Lived in Desert Shores and use the local stuff. Don't know if that is still true.

We are active in politics and zoning stuff enough that we are recognized if not known. Had Oscar and Carolyn stop past our table in Flemings one night. Oscar told a joke and Carolyn asked after everyone and impressed the hell out of our California guests. He of course has no idea who I was but he recognized the face and did his poiitical bit.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well we ran into Michael Jackson out by himself one time. An artsy/craftsy shop in Fashion Show Mall.

Interesting process. The staff basically closed the store. Blocked the entrance and told the other couple of customers in the store that Michael was there and just ask to get out. A very large crowd built up outside the store. When Michael left his "guys" surrounded him and set off at a fast pace leaving the crowd behind until he went into the next store which was then blocked off.

You can always watch some of the better bodies in LV at the gym at Rainbow and Cheyenne. Wow..

The Admiral had a nice chat with Sinatra at a bar in Santa Monica some years ago. I think she liked his manager better. She notes that the music in the place went to pure Sinatra as he entered.

I flew LA to London with David Frost. 6;00 PM flight. Sat down with 30 or 40 newspapers in his lap. Went through them in a couple of hours. Spilled his drink in my lap about then and we ceased to be friends.

Rode a half a dozen times with Robin Williams from Cleveland to LA on a red eye. He actually got to know some of us and would say hello. He was good traveling company unless he had a new broad. Then he did other things transcontinentally.

The Scintas of course are local and you run into them once in a while. Lived in Desert Shores and use the local stuff. Don't know if that is still true.

We are active in politics and zoning stuff enough that we are recognized if not known. Had Oscar and Carolyn stop past our table in Flemings one night. Oscar told a joke and Carolyn asked after everyone and impressed the hell out of our California guests. He of course has no idea who I was but he recognized the face and did his poiitical bit.

That's interesting, especially the Robin Williams part. I would like to meet him. Did Jackson look as weird in person as he did in pictures?

I saw Drew Carey at McCarran once, but I didn't say anything to him. The most interesting flight mate I had wasn't famous, but he was a member of the Whitehouse press corps. Now that guy had some stories. I also met a guy who was a survivor of that plane crash years ago where the stewardess opened the doors in the cornfield.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
ER, in the nineties when he played that gorgeous pediatric ER doctor. When I was an EMT back in those days, we'd look at our watches and say "Can we move this meeting along? ER is coming on soon."

That show lost steam over the years, but it sure came out of the gate strong for several seasons.

Back to topic, I've met Wayne Newton, and he is a very charming man. I also know someone who told Jack Nicholson off at an event here. Apparently, he is not a very nice man. (We are all shocked, right?)

Yeah Jack Nicholson can be a real SOB...

I have worked security in SoCal for a lot of years and have met and hung out with lots of celebrities, but only the Ocean's Eleven gang in Vegas....

Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

99 posts, read 128,790 times
A week ago, the "Hoff" had a suite next to mine at the Palazzo. Met in the hall, he was a really nice a personable guy. Yep, he had his shirt opened way too low.. what you'd expect from the Hoff.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
One more easy sighting if you wish. The Pawn Shop gang hangs out often at the back of the bar in Vintners Grill. The middle guy also eats at Sushi Ko on occasion.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,520,659 times
Dennis Hoff & Heidi Fleiss are a regulars here in Nye County - Heidi owns a laundrymat & Hoff owns 2 cathouses. Heidi has be spotted in Home Depot, her laundrymat & Walmart. Hoff tends to make appearances at biz opportunities, as well as ANY board of county commissioner meetings that have to do with brothels If/when you see him, check out his watch Each time it's different & each time it's flashy!!!

Haven't chatted to, but occupied the same air space as these people in Vegas:
David Spade (Mirage)
Paul Guilfoyle aka "Jim Brass" CSI (MBady)
Paris Hilton (Bellagio)

Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM

228 posts, read 718,744 times
Wow, these are all great!

I've never met a famous person before, so cool.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
A friend of mine was at a restaurant when Pat Morita (Mr. Miyagi) came in drunk as a skunk. I'm told he was a very nice man. He shook the hands of every person in the restaurant that extended them. Pat Morita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Outside of LA, Vegas is probably the best for star-spotting. I hope others will respect their privacy. I never approach a famous person when they are trying to mind their own business.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM

247 posts, read 254,252 times
I have met Flavor Flav,Randall Cunningham and Wanderlei Silva only because I was their letter carrier when I worked at the Silverado P.O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: