Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,614,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
People from Northern California are Californians, and they obviously have no problem with the shortening of names.
Many Southern Californians consider Northern California a different state. It might as well be southern Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,104,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
LAS VEGAS is my preferance......if yer losin $$$ you can call it anything you want.....In CD....no ones gamblin .....so its LAS VEGAS....

Money talks BS walks.
Yeah, but you ABANDONED us for Kingman, so your preference doesn't count anymore, Dyni.

When I'm speaking to locals I often say "Vegas". When people ask me where I'm from it's 'Las Vegas"

My husband, who is from California, only says "Vegas" he also says "Cali" He can't pronounce "Nevada" properly either after a dozen years here, so I'm divorcing him.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,091,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, but you ABANDONED us for Kingman, so your preference doesn't count anymore, Dyni.

When I'm speaking to locals I often say "Vegas". When people ask me where I'm from it's 'Las Vegas"

My husband, who is from California, only says "Vegas" he also says "Cali" He can't pronounce "Nevada" properly either after a dozen years here, so I'm divorcing him.
NOT 100% Oh Redheaded one.......I STILL own a home in Las Vegas :P

Besides kingman is Just Las Vegas South witihout the gambling ....

Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,002,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The Green Parrot is on Whitehead Street in Key West. I think you mean "The Green Turtle Inn." Remember... "The turtle rests on Monday."
You are correct, of course. I was thinking turtle and wrote parrot. (Although I am a fan of both places.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
As for what I was doing there, I was transferred there. I spent a few years up the Keys, didn't like it, and had myself transferred back. When you get down to it, activities are limited up the Keys. Drinking, fishing, diving and that's about it. Key West has the symphony orchestra and playhouses, and a much better live music scene. (Plus all the drinking, fishing and diving.)
For many people, that's enough, lol. But I do understand your POV.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 PM

80 posts, read 144,921 times
I just say I'm from The Mojave Desert and leave it at that...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,332,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
NEVADA is a big deal......pronounce it right or leave

ACTUALLY the AD was written by R&R Advertising [Rossi Ralenkotter] a LONG time Las Vegas Firm.

Keep Las Vegas GREEN....bring money ......

BUT I do prefer to call it LAS VEGAS.....
I prefer to use LAS Vegas with non locals, but have always used whichever was convenient. The "What happens in Vegas..." ad wouldn't have worked had they been formal about it. It's kind of like "Country Roads" isn't about West Virginia, but just plain "Virginia" wouldn't have worked melodically.

The ad was written by R & R Partners, but Rossi Ralenkotter had nothing to do with either 'R'. R & R Advertising (Rogich and Rogich) was begun by Sig Rogich. His brother Ed worked there too (and I think he still does), but I'm not sure if he was the other 'R'.

When I was at Ch-8, in Laredo, TX, Sig called our sales manager at the TV station to try and get him to join in the new ad agency. They were both from Las Vegas originally, and I believe they went to UNR together, and stayed in Reno afterward. My friend told Sig he couldn't imagine yet another ad agency in Las Vegas being successful, and turned him down. They were both close friends with former Nevada Governor, and later Senator Paul Laxalt. R & R became one of the most successful ad agencies in the country, and Sig became a millionaire by age 30. He advised both Reagan and President Bush #1, among other biggies in politics, and did their campaign ads. He is also one of the most powerful men in the state since as an "adviser" he tells the movers and shakers what to do to get things moved and shook. Paul Laxalt almost ran for Prez himself, but pulled out of the race.

I believe that Sig sold the firm to another of Nevada's top political advisers, Billy Vassiliadis, who runs it now, but he didn't retire. He still advises politicians. Sig Rogich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rossi Ralenkotter is the President of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority which has been using R & R for just about all it's advertising for over 30 years. Rossi Ralenkotter: 'What Happens Here' is a celebration of 'adult freedom' - The Kats Report - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I took this one too. My results say I have no accent.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Fun quiz.
Pennsylvania, Gracie? That's a northern state, hundreds of miles from southern Ohio, let alone Indiana and Illinois. Pennsylvanians have a variety of accents though. Some of it leaks down (or over, depending on where you are) into West Virginia; mostly the Pennsylvania Dutch accent, but some of the Pittsburgh accent too, which I don't think you hear anyplace else, except maybe a little bit into northern Ohio over toward Cleveland. Some of our WV accent leaks north into PA too. (A lot of people don't realize that the northern tip of WV's northern panhandle is as far north as the south edge of Brooklyn, NY. We like everybody.)

But to me Philadelphians are hardly distinguishable from Joisey people. Southern Ohioans talk a lot like we do in Almost Heaven. Southern West Virginians and some southern Ohioans sound a lot like northern Kentuckians. Virginians can not be understood by anyone though, so we aren't sure what their language is.

Mid-westerners aren't supposed to have an accent, but they do; it's a mid-west accent. However, the mid-west covers a lot of ground too, from down south to out west. Fir as I kin tell, only a mid-westerner ends a sentence with "with".

States all along the Canadian border sound a lot like Canadians, saying aboat for about, etc. And I insulted a German guy in Laredo once by informing him he had a Mexican accent.

What? I'm just sayin'.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Locals will have to get used to the Las Vegas name change evolution. I have recently heard people refer LV(another nick name) as "Hangover City".

Other names I have used or heard are...

Sin City(old)
V(just the letter, I know, it's pure laziness)
The Valley
Vegas Valley
Vegas
Lost Wages
Entertainment Capital of the World
Marriage Capital
Second chance city

And like above...

LV
Hangover City

Sent from cell...
Don't forget, until; other states made deevorce easy, we shared "divorce capital of the world" with Reno; also known as the "six week cure".

Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,091,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I prefer to use LAS Vegas with non locals, but have always used whichever was convenient. The "What happens in Vegas..." ad wouldn't have worked had they been formal about it. It's kind of like "Country Roads" isn't about West Virginia, but just plain "Virginia" wouldn't have worked melodically.

The ad was written by R & R Partners, but Rossi Ralenkotter had nothing to do with either 'R'. R & R Advertising (Rogich and Rogich) was begun by Sig Rogich. His brother Ed worked there too (and I think he still does), but I'm not sure if he was the other 'R'.

When I was at Ch-8, in Laredo, TX, Sig called our sales manager at the TV station to try and get him to join in the new ad agency. They were both from Las Vegas originally, and I believe they went to UNR together, and stayed in Reno afterward. My friend told Sig he couldn't imagine yet another ad agency in Las Vegas being successful, and turned him down. They were both close friends with former Nevada Governor, and later Senator Paul Laxalt. R & R became one of the most successful ad agencies in the country, and Sig became a millionaire by age 30. He advised both Reagan and President Bush #1, among other biggies in politics, and did their campaign ads. He is also one of the most powerful men in the state since as an "adviser" he tells the movers and shakers what to do to get things moved and shook. Paul Laxalt almost ran for Prez himself, but pulled out of the race.

I believe that Sig sold the firm to another of Nevada's top political advisers, Billy Vassiliadis, who runs it now, but he didn't retire. He still advises politicians. Sig Rogich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rossi Ralenkotter is the President of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority which has been using R & R for just about all it's advertising for over 30 years. Rossi Ralenkotter: 'What Happens Here' is a celebration of 'adult freedom' - The Kats Report - Las Vegas Sun News
I do stand corrected........olde age tends to make me mx my R's........twas Sig......but twasnt a Gnu Yawk firm

Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,104,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Pennsylvania, Gracie? That's a northern state, hundreds of miles from southern Ohio, let alone Indiana and Illinois. Pennsylvanians have a variety of accents though. Some of it leaks down (or over, depending on where you are) into West Virginia; mostly the Pennsylvania Dutch accent, but some of the Pittsburgh accent too, which I don't think you hear anyplace else, except maybe a little bit into northern Ohio over toward Cleveland. Some of our WV accent leaks north into PA too. (A lot of people don't realize that the northern tip of WV's northern panhandle is as far north as the south edge of Brooklyn, NY. We like everybody.)

But to me Philadelphians are hardly distinguishable from Joisey people. Southern Ohioans talk a lot like we do in Almost Heaven. Southern West Virginians and some southern Ohioans sound a lot like northern Kentuckians. Virginians can not be understood by anyone though, so we aren't sure what their language is.

Mid-westerners aren't supposed to have an accent, but they do; it's a mid-west accent. However, the mid-west covers a lot of ground too, from down south to out west. Fir as I kin tell, only a mid-westerner ends a sentence with "with".

States all along the Canadian border sound a lot like Canadians, saying aboat for about, etc. And I insulted a German guy in Laredo once by informing him he had a Mexican accent.

What? I'm just sayin'.
I was born in Ohio, but we moved when I was four. I was raised in Las Vegas, Farmington New Mexico, Reno, Pocatello Idaho, SLC Utah and N. Arizona (and eventually back here again). I really have no accent.

As far as the R&R story and Sig. Sig Rogich is a powerful man. I'd never want to cross him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas