Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM

306 posts, read 433,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You will be by the hospital. There is bus service there. You just have to figure out what bus. Contact them and someone will gladly talk to you and give you all the info you need.
Contact Us | RTC
Thanks. I went on their site and plugged in a few addresses that I would need to go to the first month there, i.e., grocery store and the school. For the school, it said I would have to walk and for the grocery store, it says it's an hour away! I sent a message to the RTC and will call them to find out what's possible. If it's possible to use the bus service for the few things I need to do when I first get there, then I can move in December! If not, I need to save for December and come in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd3easy View Post
If you are going to live in that area you MUST have car. North/South bus service stops at Rainbow Blvd. That far south I think the East/West service only comes west to Rainbow as well.

It does make sense but that's what it is.
I am going to see if I can pull up a decent map of the city streets. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The movement permit costs $1. And GET ONE. When I registered my out-of-state car last week at DMV, there was a cop there waiting to hand out citations (and tow the car) for people without any tags. You'll need an insurance card, your license and the bill of sale.
Thanks for the info. So, if I go the route of purchasing in Texas, I will need to surrender my Illinois license BEFORE December when it expires and get insurance that both Texas and Nevada recognizes and the bill of sale. Got it!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
January in Las Vegas is very cold and windy (to my standards). I lived in the far NW side of the city and the coldest, strongest winds came down from the Spring Mountains. Wind chills had to have gotten close to zero in my neighborhood at times, the NW is generally colder than the rest of the city in the winter time though

Highs range from the mid 40s to mid 50s depending on your location, lows are usually about 30-36, and if cold air is coming in from the north, highs can be in the mid 30s with lows in the teens, New England type cold! but that is rare

And I believe you are referring to the street "Fort Apache"
Yes, that is the street. And I'm actually kind of glad for the cold! LOL. It will give me a chance to prepare for the weather Vegas is so infamous for. Thanks for the info!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Are you committed to the location you've chosen? If not, see my post in this thread. My aunt does not drive.

Looking for the "right" rental in Las Vegas

Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Are you committed to the location you've chosen? If not, see my post in this thread. My aunt does not drive.

Looking for the "right" rental in Las Vegas
Yes, I've already rented an apartment and enrolled my child in school. I'm okay if it absolutely turns out that I need a car, that's totally my plan. I am just trying to figure out how to avoid the hassle of purchasing a car in Texas and paying the fees associated with that and then moving, literally, a few days later to Vegas and then having to pay fees again.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,077,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
Yes, I've already rented an apartment and enrolled my child in school. I'm okay if it absolutely turns out that I need a car, that's totally my plan. I am just trying to figure out how to avoid the hassle of purchasing a car in Texas and paying the fees associated with that and then moving, literally, a few days later to Vegas and then having to pay fees again.
Then it sounds like the temporary tags that someone upthread mentioned are your answer. I'm sure they have them in Texas.

How exactly were you planning to get to Vegas with no car anyway? Flying? U-Haul? Bus?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Then it sounds like the temporary tags that someone upthread mentioned are your answer. I'm sure they have them in Texas.

How exactly were you planning to get to Vegas with no car anyway? Flying? U-Haul? Bus?
My initial plans have never included not bringing a car. That's why I'm in Texas. When I found out about the double registering, I was looking for other options. If I decide to purchase in Vegas, my sister will drive me to my new home.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
Three thousand. If I could rely on public transportation for an additional few months, I could get an even better car in Vegas. But it seems like I can't do transportation in my area.
One concern I do have is if your budget of $3000 for a car is not going to get you anything decent at a dealer, but a private party sale might be your best bet. As Airics said that you better make sure it does pass NV smog test or you will have bigger problems later. If you do buy from someone here in NV make sure it does pass the smog test before you fork over your $3000. A friend of mine just bought a 1999 Toyota Camry with cold A/C 4cyl for $2800 and he insisted the seller smog it first.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
One concern I do have is if your budget of $3000 for a car is not going to get you anything decent at a dealer, but a private party sale might be your best bet. As Airics said that you better make sure it does pass NV smog test or you will have bigger problems later. If you do buy from someone here in NV make sure it does pass the smog test before you fork over your $3000. A friend of mine just bought a 1999 Toyota Camry with cold A/C 4cyl for $2800 and he insisted the seller smog it first.
Thanks for the information. I can go higher for my car budget IF I can figure out public transportation in Vegas! But it looks like there is none where I am landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: