Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times

Advertisements

I have Allstate and I have a few perks with them that I personally like. For my truck as an example, I pad $80 a month for Ful Coverage with 100/300 and 10,000 med with vanishing ded (current ded is 0 instead of 500), accident forgiveness, and I get a check every 6 months if I'm a good driver. Gieco was cheaper by 4 bucks and they didn't offer me any of the perks I get from Allstate. My 6 month check last time was $73, so I'm almost getting a month free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Geico is excellent when you have a claim
This is the first time in my life I have ever heard anyone say anything positive about Geico outside of how cute the gecko is.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
I've got State Farm (a mutual insurance company)
Get a great discount when i bundle with my home insurance
Very happy
State Farm here, too.

When I first moved from Los Angeles, I had Farmer's. My rates jumped about 30% when I made the move. Stayed with them for a while, then decided to see what other options were out there. I shopped *every* major insurance company. State Farm was the lowest, by far. Some of the highest were Amica, Progressive, Allstate and Farmer's.

For informational purposes - perfect driving record, no kids/young adults (that drive) in the house, +renter's policy, multiple vehicles, pay for 6mo at a time (no monthly payments), 1.5mi commute.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Geico is excellent when you have a claim....
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
This is the first time in my life I have ever heard anyone say anything positive about Geico outside of how cute the gecko is.
Well, this is your lucky day then because now you've heard two positive comments.

I've never had GEICO, but I've been involved in two accidents with at-fault drivers insured by GEICO. (One of which included injuries.) Both times they were excellent to deal with and I encountered no problems whatsoever.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

For informational purposes - perfect driving record, no kids/young adults (that drive) in the house, +renter's policy, multiple vehicles, pay for 6mo at a time (no monthly payments), 1.5mi commute.
State Farm likes to drop people like a bad habit also. Be careful if that "1.5" mile drive quote. If you truly only drive that far daily then you are good to go. If not, and they find out, then they may not support or just deny any claim you have.

I have seen it happen to plenty of guys that I work with. People always say that they drive the minimum to get the cheaper rate.

On the other hand, your rate will probably drop significantly once you get married, become a home owner and get older. I hear about those discounts all the time.

Sent from cell...

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Anyone ever been involved in a multi car pile up, with serious injuries? I heard there are not too many insurance companies that deal with this well. Especially if you to put someone in a coma for an extensive period of time.

Usually insurance covers up to a certain amount in car damage(all vehicles involved) and a separate coverage cap for medical expenses for everyone involved.

What if you are in a major accident with a school bus full of children?

I never hear any good stories on how auto insurance handles this.

Sent from cell...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
I had GEICO for years before I moved to Nevada. Once I got here they jacked my rates up to the point that I had to leave them. I had 21st Century for a while, which worked well - until I had to add my teenage daughter to the policy. They more than doubled my rates, so I went to Esurance. Didn't stay with them for long due to poor customer service. Currently with Progressive, no issues so far and my rates have dropped every year I have been a policy holder.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I had GEICO for years before I moved to Nevada. Once I got here they jacked my rates up to the point that I had to leave them. I had 21st Century for a while, which worked well - until I had to add my teenage daughter to the policy. They more than doubled my rates, so I went to Esurance. Didn't stay with them for long due to poor customer service. Currently with Progressive, no issues so far and my rates have dropped every year I have been a policy holder.
And all four of those are profit-generating companies with heavy advertising. Who do you think is paying for all those commercials?

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
21st Century is the sold-off car insurance branch of AIG. I don't need to say anything else about that.

I'm also with Progressive and they have been quite decent to me. Allstate gave me a better quote, but I have two young adults on my policy currently, and I don't think Allstate is interested anymore. The larger the risk-pool, the better the rates, generally speaking.

Once the kids are off my policy in the spring, I'll probably shop around again. I'll probably check out the mutuals as Scoop recommends because I like the concept. I told my bank to stuff it and went with a credit union this year for similar reasons.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I have Allstate and I have a few perks with them that I personally like. For my truck as an example, I pad $80 a month for Ful Coverage with 100/300 and 10,000 med with vanishing ded (current ded is 0 instead of 500), accident forgiveness, and I get a check every 6 months if I'm a good driver. Gieco was cheaper by 4 bucks and they didn't offer me any of the perks I get from Allstate. My 6 month check last time was $73, so I'm almost getting a month free.
You may find to your chagrin that 100/300 isn't necessarily "full coverage."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas