Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,603 times

Advertisements

But wait! There's more!

Audit outlines misuse of money at Quest Academy - www.ktnv.com

I think it's safe to say we're crossing this one off the list unless major changes take place in the next few months. Bummer!

Thanks so much for your reply, though, Exaday. I'm sorry your son and his classmates have gotten caught up in this! I'll keep an eye on the news, but can you keep me posted on any developments you're privy to? Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,802,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawuertz View Post
But wait! There's more!

Audit outlines misuse of money at Quest Academy - www.ktnv.com

I think it's safe to say we're crossing this one off the list unless major changes take place in the next few months. Bummer!

Thanks so much for your reply, though, Exaday. I'm sorry your son and his classmates have gotten caught up in this! I'll keep an eye on the news, but can you keep me posted on any developments you're privy to? Good luck!

Yeah, sad situation, I loved that school and planned on sending me next child there as well. Now because of this I am actually thinking about selling my house and moving to Summerlin. Sounds rash I know. I'll have to check the market.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. The best explanation I could come up with is that Connie Jordan has been spending her own money getting things going. She built that thing, it's her baby. She spent her own funds and when state money finally came she used it on herself. Used money to take power lunches with vips and such. She found creative ways to funnel funds to the school. Even if that is true it is still illegal and won't fly. They can't replace 5 + teachers during the school year, no way.

They just started this highschool. It is located in Heinrich YMCA (the one on Meadows) I took my son there to practice basketball just before the school year. Some very nice kid came and spent like an hour with him teaching him things. I ask where he goes to school, he says Quest. I say they don't have a team and he tells me they do. He proceeds to tell me he just moved from Alabama to go to this school. As it turns out this school has more Basketball talent than Findlay prep. I'm talking NBA quality talent. Blue chips. They have the coach from Tarkanian and travel the world playing teams. We went and watched them play and they are incredible. They managed to have band and a cheerleading squad. How did they do all this?

It probably is/was one of the best schools in the valley, but you gotta play by the rules. I can tell you that MS Jordan is a bit of a 'my way or the highwayl' type person. I would hope she would step down for the good of the kids if need be, there are all sorts of accusations flying around on both sides. Seems there are two factions of parents, those for Connie Jordan and those against.

The things about books I don't understand, my son has books, we don't pay for them. We don't pay for anything except the uniforms.

Someone has to be on the side of those kids though. They were out of school all this week for Turkey day.

I'll keep things posted as best I can, let me know if there are any more articles.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times
If it were just the principal, there might be a chance at saving the school. Unfortunately, the Governing Board has lost control and acted irrationally during all of this. At worst, the Board is corrupt. At best, it is incompetent. The State of NV basically told the Board "you are incompetent and failing to oversee the school." Read the letter from the State of NV.

This school will be closed because the Board was either in bed with the principal, or completely blind-sided and incapable of acting responsibly during a crisis. Either way, they should never be in charge of something as important and complex as running a school. They should go back to McDonald's and take drive-thru orders.

The first action that a responsible/professional/capable/intelligent board would take during a situation like this would be to place the principal on paid leave while they investigate. THAT is how you place the kids first. You remove the contention from the school, and take the accusations, fighting, and investigation away from the kids. Instead, this ship of fools allowed the principal to remain on campus, fire teachers, place the Vice Principal on leave, and if that wasn't enough they went on to remove the one board member who brought up concerns about the accusations. Hey, why not just paint a big target on your faces that says "guilty of stupidity and fraud."

To top off their unbelievable level of incompetence, the members of the Board actually replied to the State of NV, regarding an allegation about the audit, and told the State "they had not received the audit from the Board President." The State's response was basically, "If you didn't receive the audit from the President, and did nothing about it, you are failing to operate as a board." Idiots. Their excuse for screwing up was "we don't know what we're doing. "

It's not just that some folks got together and figured out a way to scam the system off of the backs of children, but they are also complete morons and dolts. Stupid enough to bribe, falsify documents, ask the accountant to cook the books, and ask the business manager to falsify documents. The first rule of committing fraud is to keep it a secret, not get everybody in the office involved.

Not only is the Principal and the Board dishonest scum, they are also incompetent at being so. May they rot.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM

555 posts, read 772,272 times
With Magnet schools it seems there isn't as much transparency as public schools. For example, you can easily get a report card on any public school but it seems much harder to do the same for charter schools (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think with the three areas you mentioned, any public school will be adequate. I say this because supposedly when you are zoned for a school in which the mediam home cost > 125k the school is typically above average.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:44 PM

550 posts, read 635,451 times
Magnet schools ARE public schools and all of their test scores are available through the links I provided. While charter schools are not the same as magnets, they are either sponsored by the state or by Clark County and the scores are available for them as well.

*- 2011-2012 Results - State Sponsored Charter

*- 2011-2012 Results - Clark County

Second link has all public elementary, middle and high school reports including magnets. Scroll to the bottom for Clark County sponsored charters.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 AM

555 posts, read 772,272 times
Thanks Momofvegas for the links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas