U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM

47 posts, read 44,869 times

Advertisements

Hi Easyb, thanks but I'm not concerned about what NY recognize. I am more concerned about what NV recognize. I got the ticket from NYC and moving to NV. I know how much of a pain NYC traffic violation bureau is. They gave me the ticket.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 01:23 AM

11,589 posts, read 22,702,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangler View Post
Airics, I don't think I'll ever drive over 75. That's the fastest I've ever driven I think. My car's steering will start shaking past that. It's a 1999 subaru, not meant to go fast. Did you get those tickets in the city our outside NY city.

Tickets here in Vegas. 75? Get your car fixed...they will run you off the road here if you only do 75 on the 15 or 95

Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Tickets here in Vegas. 75? Get your car fixed...they will run you off the road here if you only do 75 on the 15 or 95
Well that explains it. NY is not as lenient.
That's OK Air, I don't think I want to drive much faster than that, MAYBE I can push it to 80. I'm OK driving in the slow lane then. My fast driving days are over. But let's see in a few years, maybe I'll adjust to LV way of life.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Fast? We are talking average speed. Drivers here are horrible. No turn signals. Double or triple lane changing. Crossing into carpool lanes etc. you're in for an eye opening. On 95, I average 85-90 without passing anyone. On 15 into Cali... Pedal is to floor. I've gotten passed by Cali police doing 95-100.
Just be careful with your driving. The only slow time for me is 530pm on 15 across from the strip when it's bumper to bumper.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 AM

Well then, I've got some learning to do. Maybe I'll get an instructor form INDI 500 But seriously, I've driven from LV to San Fran about 5 years ago. Also, drove from LV to grand canyon. I have family there and every time I visit I do drive myself around. I find that if I stay in the slow lane cars don't mind passing me and I don't mind that they do. I used to drive in Manhattan all the time before I started working from home, so I have experience sharing the road with NYC cabs. Those drivers don't exactly have a good reputation. It shouldn't be too bad I think. As long as I drive defensively I think I should be OK. I may drive slow for LV standards but as long as I'm keep my reflexes in top shape and not allow myself to get intimidated I'll do just fine.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,660,039 times
I disagree with airics. When I drive on the freeways in LV, I see most people traveling at 70mph or so. With the occasional 75-80, and the rare "warp speed" driver blowing by you doing 90.

What you will see every single day is people running red lights, ridiculous lane changes (I call it highway polo), and erratic drivers -- either drunk or texting while driving. Hard to tell these days which is which. But it's not nearly as bad as southern California. In that den of lunacy, if you leave a reasonable following distance between you and the car ahead of you, some dingbat will jump in between you without signaling, and then slam on the brakes. You have to tailgate to avoid that, and that's even more dangerous.

Las Vegas driving isn't all that bad. It's certainly not as bad as Miami or SoCal, and NOTHING compared to Italy or Egypt.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I disagree with airics. When I drive on the freeways in LV, I see most people traveling at 70mph or so. With the occasional 75-80, and the rare "warp speed" driver blowing by you doing 90.

What you will see every single day is people running red lights, ridiculous lane changes (I call it highway polo), and erratic drivers -- either drunk or texting while driving. Hard to tell these days which is which. But it's not nearly as bad as southern California. In that den of lunacy, if you leave a reasonable following distance between you and the car ahead of you, some dingbat will jump in between you without signaling, and then slam on the brakes. You have to tailgate to avoid that, and that's even more dangerous.

Las Vegas driving isn't all that bad. It's certainly not as bad as Miami or SoCal, and NOTHING compared to Italy or Egypt.
Where are they driving only 70? Not in this town unless rush hour or police present! Maybe 70 on the 45 on 215

Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,570,364 times
Normally I'm cruising at about 85 and passing most cars. I must be hitting the freeways on odd hours because to me it seems like everyone is about 70 mph with some going 75. In fact when I make Costco runs in an E350 cargo van doing 75 I'm still passing people. I'd say Nevada average speeds at a good 10 mph less than in SoCal.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,660,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Normally I'm cruising at about 85 and passing most cars. I must be hitting the freeways on odd hours because to me it seems like everyone is about 70 mph with some going 75. In fact when I make Costco runs in an E350 cargo van doing 75 I'm still passing people. I'd say Nevada average speeds at a good 10 mph less than in SoCal.
This has been my experience as well. Except I'm one of the drivers traveling at 70mph. I don't need to get where I'm going in a big hurry. I just leave the house earlier. I think 5mph over the speed limit is reasonable and cop-safe.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM

17,546 posts, read 34,656,854 times
Let's see if we can steer this thread back to the topic, and away from speeds on LV freeways. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas