U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM

47 posts, read 44,779 times

Advertisements

I got my first speeding ticket a few week ago, $195 + 6 points. I also read that I will be charged $300 driver assessment fee. Plead guilty and paid the fine but I still don't have the assessment fee notice. So have not paid that yet. Been driving for 30+ years with no issue.

Here is the twist I got it in NYC the day before the hurricane hit us, was on my way home from grocery shopping in preparation for the storm. Was stressing over it and rushing to get home.

The thing is by Jan next year I’m moving to LV. Soon after that I’m changing my driver’s license from NY to NV. My question is will the points transfer as well? Not sure how this works. I don’t want my insurance to go up so I’m considering getting a drive safety class to reduce my insurance premium and drop 4 points off my NY driver’s license. But if the points will not transfer then maybe I can skip that. Also, if the points get transferred over on to my NV license I read somewhere (can’t find it anymore) that there is a way to pay it off in NVDMV to remove the points? Will it work on points transferred? Is this true? Will my insurance get hit anyway if points are dropped? Sorry for all these questions, can't afford my insurance rate to go up with a new mortgage and bills associated with owning a home. First time for that as well. Any suggestion/information is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,566,388 times
Your driving record is your driving record. It follows you where you go and there's no way around it. You could probably get it reduced to a non moving violation here, But you didn't get the ticket here.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Here in Las Vegas, you can just turn the traffic ticket into a parking violation. You'll pay a little more. But there won't be any points or traffic school. You can do it yourself at the courthouse (usually), or you can pay a local attorney a few extra bucks and they'll make the ticket go away (definitely).

But how that works for your situation, I have no idea. My guess is that the NY points are between you and your insurance company. And the NY records will surely be noted by anyone here. For instance, I had a bogus unpaid parking ticket in Florida. And Nevada DMV would not grant me a license until that issue was resolved. I had to call the county courthouse in Florida, and get the clerk of court to write a letter to Nevada DMV that there was no outstanding parking ticket.

This took MONTHS to resolve. Square away your NY problems in NY before moving here.

EDIT -- I never would have plead guilty. It's less expensive in the long run to retain counsel and have them battle the ticket. If traffic school will knock four points off your record, do it. Better still to have a clean driving record. But I don't know of any insurance companies that will extend the safe driver discount for people with any points.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the advice and information. I guess there's no way around it. I'll sort it out before leaving this very expensive state. 2 points is better than 6, but I was hoping for 0 with no hit on my insurance. I plead guilty because NYC has a no plea bargain stand. It is all or nothing. Given that I am moving in 2 months I'm not even sure when the court date will be set and not sure if I can make it. Still even if I can there's a very slim chance of getting acquitted. If it were in other parts of NY state I would have had a chance. I just hope my insurance company will be kinder than the NYC traffic violations bureau. I think insurance company's take 10% off if you take the class. At least that's what I read. Crossing fingers.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:10 AM

7,671 posts, read 11,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangler View Post
My question is will the points transfer as well? Not sure how this works. I donít want my insurance to go up so Iím considering getting a drive safety class to reduce my insurance premium and drop 4 points off my NY driverís license.
Although I'm not positive, I'm pretty certain that the points do not transfer. NV will check your NY record to see if it has been suspended or revoked and will not issue a license if it has. Also, if you've had a certain number of tickets (I believe it is 3 or more) over the past 4 years, you'll be required to take a test here rather than just have a NV license issued to you. But AFAIK, NV only counts points once you receive your NV license.

BTW, not all insurance companies raise rates when you've received a traffic ticket. I know State Farm, for example, only does so if you've been involved in an accident that was your fault. (And even then your rates won't automatically go up.) If your insuance company raises your premium when you receive a ticket, you may want to shop around when you get to NV.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 AM

206 posts, read 451,080 times
I think you're toast, buddy.

Here is a link to a NY lawyers explanation rather than DMV's merry-go-round.

New York DMV Assessment

Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM

40 posts, read 102,559 times
10 years ago someone close to me moved to Vegas with a NY license. No points or record ever switched over because this person simply said they didn't have any violations or points when asked on the application for NV license (though this person did have quite a few tickets and points in NY). No clue if that has changed by now. I wouldn't worry too much...

Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM

MadMan/Prudent That's what I'm hoping for. But since this is not a sure thing I'll just go ahead and take the defensive driving course. I found out through internet search that I can do this online. I can manage a 6 hour class at home. They even allow you to log out and come back as long as the course is completed within 90 days. If points do get transferred then 2 rather than 6 points is better. If it does not get transferred then it's icing on the cake. I'll certainly watch my insurance premiums next year. If the increase is outrageous then I'll most certainly hunt for a better insurance provider.

gggjfg, I know about that. That's the $300 I referred to in my first post. In NY if you reach 6 points within an 18 month period you get fined $100 for each year for 3 years aside from the actual traffic violation fine. Taking the class will only reduce the points in your driving record so that it does not count toward the total number leading to license suspension. It will not reduce the assessment fee. In other words it is like a tax. I'm resigned to the fact I will have to pay this as well. The attorneys fees will cost more than $300 I believe so I'll just pay this assessment fee (aka tax) Thanks for the link, though.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,498,951 times
your record maybe.
and the points, no

I got a speeding ticket in WI 4 points, did it affect my MN Lic? Nope because we don't have a point system. MN does not enforce WI law.

While the ticket will stay on your record the points diaper after a set amount of time.

NV could care less about NY's point system.

Just make sure to pay all of your "assessments" fines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Your driving record is your driving record. It follows you where you go and there's no way around it. You could probably get it reduced to a non moving violation here, But you didn't get the ticket here.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks Sno, I've paid the $195 ticket. I intend to pay the $300 assessment as soon as I receive it. I hurts but it is what it is. What I'm hoping for now is that my record (points/violation record) however it works in NV, does not affect my premiums which I think will stay for 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas