U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,156,757 times

Advertisements

Couple of people thinking about schools and such. Here is a graphic showing the relativel performance levels of the schools in CCSD. It utilizes the No Child Left Behind Numbers as a comparison. Basically it codes the percentage of students scoring Meets or Exceeds Standards for each school.

http://www.donohueteam.com/Schools/e...e%20112112.pdf

This is a pdf as it is actually a big graphic if you wish to read it. I would not bother printing it unless you are a glutton for punishment. You need a large format printer with good calibration to get the colors right.

As you look at it green is good, yellow is in the middle and red is bad. If the difference in shade is noticeable there is a real difference. If you are not sure there is not.

I have the numbers for the CCSD charters. I will eventually time them in. Basically though they are not very interesting...the best of the CCSD charters is in the middle. On the other side these CCSD charters are actually trying to work the real problem...The State charters appear going a different route.

I have not found a source for the State sponsored charters. I have seen some numbers but they are sparse and don't allow ready comparison. I don't really see them as a factor though Somerset may be worth a look. One comment is with a couple of exceptions the state charters appear to be appealing to a white and better off clientele. No troubled students, few language challenged and few free lunches.

Anyway I will eventually move this but I thought it might help a couple of people now.

Exaday might look in his own neighborhood...looks as good or better than much of Summerlin. I also like Garehine and Tahr. They score well against much of Summerlin though no place near the same economic demographic.

There are also a few exceptions to the disaster of the central city. You wonder who those heroes are. Little spots of green among the orange and red...so it can be done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,865,235 times
I wonder what's the secret to those exceptions in the middle of the valley? Pretty impressive.

Sent from cell...

Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,310,037 times
Good find!!

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,657,158 times
I think this is a far more useful map than your crime map. But I'd like to see your metrics compared to an area known for it's good schools -- northeast Massachusetts, for instance.

I maintain that our best schools aren't nearly as good as the average school in a town like Keene, NH, or Andover, MA. Sure, we're a big city, and those are smallish cities. But when parents ask us the point-blank question, "Are schools in LV any good," it would be more useful to have a comparison between us an areas known for excellence in education.

Sure, we compare well to the schools in Compton. Whoopdie-ding. I'm sure we also compare well to schools in Somalia. But we don't have anything that compares to Choate Rosemary Hall or Hotchkiss. Not even Meadows comes close.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM

The only standard avaiable is NAEP which would indicate that MA is superior to any other state.

Those results also indicate that NV is roughly in the middle third of states with respect to lower grade math and reading.

So yes Nevada will short fall MA. And the best of MA is probably a bit better than the best of NV. Note however the best of NV is relatively good...and would probably be relatively good in an overall US picture.

Note also that school district performance is always driven by the lower half of the schools. And that is the weakness of CCSD...not the better half.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 AM

469 posts, read 730,536 times
Clark County Schools have had problems for years. Need to speak spanish in most schools and drop out rate is one of the highest in the nation. Pushing 40%. District was speaking with folks out at Nellis AFB last year. People were being advised to consider home schooling or choose to serve an unaccompanied tour. Not good when military is advising thier airman to not bring thier familes.....The failures and poor reputation of the CCSS are know throughout the USA.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM

My personal metric for quality primary schools is simple: How many students are accepted into elite universities?

There are high schools in New Hampshire that place more students into Harvard every year than Clark County does in ten. (Replace Harvard with CalTech, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Juilliard -- whatever floats your boat.) You would think with all the entertainers in this city, we'd have more kids going to Juilliard. But we don't.

This means to me that there are two possible reasons:

1) We don't have very many smart kids in Clark County.

2) We have smart kids, but they aren't being served by our school district.

Which do you think is more likely?

Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM

13,482 posts, read 9,618,380 times
I'm with LVOC on this one. My oldest attended Shadow Ridge and the youngest, Northwest Tech. They both received good educations. The youngest is at college on a generous scholarship. I have a friend whose son is attending Stanford.

The better schools are decent to excellent and the bad ones are very bad. CCSD has indeed had problems for decades, but it's gotten much worse with the ESL problem.

The biggest problems that I noticed were in the Jr. High system. I don't think there is a really good Jr. High in Las Vegas. It could be that the elementary schools are promoting children that shouldn't be promoted. If you don't get out of fifth grade with good reading skills, basic math (memorized times tables, etc.) you are off to a bumpy start.

I attended a very nice Jr. High in Idaho back in the day. Now it's poorly rated, mainly because of the ESL students. School is not free in every country, so some kids are arriving here illiterate in their own language. That is quite a hurdle for our teachers to overcome, especially in the poorer districts where kids are showing up hungry on top of everything else.

We may need to introduce some special schools for English language learners. I'm not a proponent of any type of segregation, but the current system just isn't working for everyone. If a kid could go to a special school for two or three years and get caught up, I think he'd be much better served than under the current system.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
My personal metric for quality primary schools is simple: How many students are accepted into elite universities?

There are high schools in New Hampshire that place more students into Harvard every year than Clark County does in ten. (Replace Harvard with CalTech, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Juilliard -- whatever floats your boat.) You would think with all the entertainers in this city, we'd have more kids going to Juilliard. But we don't.

This means to me that there are two possible reasons:

1) We don't have very many smart kids in Clark County.

2) We have smart kids, but they aren't being served by our school district.

Which do you think is more likely?
That is not how it works. Admissions to an Ivy League School of more than one student from a provincial school is very unlikely. Palo Alto may get 4 or 5...but other than that Harvard etc. simply don't take many students from the hinterlands. They go to the feeders. Exeter, Groton, etc and the powerful NYC and Boston High Schools. It is well known at Bronx High School of Science that you have to be a top 20 student to have a chance at Harvard or Yale. There are effectively quotas. Bronx has certain characteristics that make them less desirable than Hunter College High School or Stuyvesant.

There are high schools that consistently turn out National Merit Semi Finalist. Coronado, Green Valley, PV, Clark, The Las Vegas Academy all have reasonable numbers year after year. This would tend to indicate some significant capability. They are not up to Meadows, which has as high as 20% of its student body as semi-finalists but they are reasonable for regular high schools through out the US.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There are high schools that consistently turn out National Merit Semi Finalist. Coronado, Green Valley, PV, Clark, The Las Vegas Academy all have reasonable numbers year after year. This would tend to indicate some significant capability. They are not up to Meadows, which has as high as 20% of its student body as semi-finalists but they are reasonable for regular high schools through out the US.
National Merit Semi Finalists aren't going to make any extra salary over the course of their lives because they have a certificate, suitable for framing. An education from a prestige university translates directly into more income and a better life.

There are hundreds of prestige universities throughout the country -- RPI, RISD, Duke, Berkeley School of Music, and so on. Las Vegas students are not getting into those schools with the same frequency of other metro areas. Again -- either our kids are simply dumber than kids elsewhere in the country (and this is worthy of debate), or CCSD is failing gifted students (and this is almost certainly true).

So when people visit C-D and ask, "Are our schools any good?" Our answer is basically, "How high are your expectations?" My inlaws come from a background where if a child DOESN'T have a choice between several prestige schools, something is radically wrong. Those inlaws who now live in Las Vegas raised their children elsewhere, then moved here after the last child made it into Princeton or CalTech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or