U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,650,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecapsfan View Post
I see this is a Clark County bylaw. Do all incorporated areas in greater Las Vegas (ie Henderson) have similar ordinances? Seems very big brotherish to me.
Short term rentals was a very, very big deal in my hometown. Two reasons:

1) Neighbors had to deal with living next to an unlicensed, unmanaged hotel. Emphasis on unmanaged. Badly behaved guests made living next to one of these rental properties unbearable.

2) My hometown did not have a large enough supply of residential houses to meet demand. Good for house prices, sure. Bad for the community. Cops, teachers, cooks and store clerks simply couldn't afford to live there anymore, and a lot of them left.

Naturally, #2 doesn't apply in Las Vegas. But #1 still does. Without a hotel manager to keep order, some tenants will devolve into hooligans. I imagine it's worse in Las Vegas because we're "sin city."

I am somewhat of a hypocrite in that I'm against short term rentals in my neighborhood. But I'm all for them when I vacation. If all the tenants were quiet, treated the property like their own, and picked up after themselves, I would be for short-term rentals in all cases. I think it should be a basic property right.

The right to "whoop it up" ends at the neighbors' eardrums. And some people simply cannot get with the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM

39 posts, read 51,919 times
Thanks Scoop. That makes total sense. I guess I assumed all renters are like me. I've just never heard of such restrictions outside of an HOA.

My last rental was in a single family home in Henderson. We were so pleased with, but I can how pissed I'd be if I lived next door to the house with the party every weekend.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM

797 posts, read 1,136,130 times
If you care about the house, and will keep it for yourself long term, don't rent it out. At some point it will get trashed or at least will need some major repairs.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 309,009 times
We purchased a vacation condo in Las Vegas. I highly suggest buying one at these prices and how much fun and enjoyment you'll experience owning it is so worth it! There are some great deals. We got a condo 5 min from downtown with a full view of the strip (Amazing at night) for the price of a low end BMW. You tell people you have a 2nd home in Vegas and they're just in awe. It's the coolest place. So why in the world would you want to turn it into a pt time rental??? Total strangers sleeping your bed, using your bathroom and kitchen? Yuk! No way, if you're going to have a vacation home, have a vacation home. Part-time renters won't respect it and it will be just a bunch of headaches. Do what we did. We bought two condos because they're 70-85% off and made one a rental and coolest a vacation home. The rental will repay you your investment in as little as 5 years and then you get $750-$900 a month income for life. Try doing that with $45,000+ in a bank CD. Not going to happen. Plus you get great tax write offs. Awesome investment. Get a property mgt and a nice check each month. Easy! You should consider getting 2 properties. Having a private vacation home is awesome. I wouldn't consider the Part-time thing at all and I don't even think our HOA would even allow it.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 11-27-2012 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM

66 posts, read 114,123 times
I agree with what you said, Oldwestgambler, but getting two properties at once is not financially possible for us currently.

From which property/building did you purchase your condo? If you don't mind me asking..

Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

110 posts, read 144,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
^^ All someone has to do is forward that link to Sisolak or the Summerlin HOA and you just got that homeowner in trouble.
Dont worry. That homeowner is in really good with the surrounding community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas