U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
 
1,374 posts, read 2,566,873 times
Reputation: 953

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You eliminated someone because they lived in LLV and you thought their commute would be too much for them? Seriously?

I'm sorry, but coming from the DC area where people not only commute from MD & VA, but also from PA and by train from WVA, that just sounds ridiculous. There is no place in the valley that would be too much of a strain to commute to/from a job.

If you eliminated the "perfect" candidate based on that one issue, I think you made a serious error in judgment.
Agree. When I lived in San Diego I commuted to work in Irvine which is about 70 miles each way on a very congested freeway. Ironically when I moved to Orange County because I grew tired of the commute I took a job in San Diego about a year later. I did that commute for about 1.5 years. The money was pretty ridiculous at the time so it made it worth while.

I don't think with the unemployment numbers here in the Valley anywhere is too far to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ ̡
7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times
Reputation: 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You eliminated someone because they lived in LLV and you thought their commute would be too much for them? Seriously?

I'm sorry, but coming from the DC area where people not only commute from MD & VA, but also from PA and by train from WVA, that just sounds ridiculous. There is no place in the valley that would be too much of a strain to commute to/from a job.

If you eliminated the "perfect" candidate based on that one issue, I think you made a serious error in judgment.
The number one excuse for employees putting in a 2 week notice is...

"Job is too far from where I live"
"The bus takes an hour to get to work and even longer to get home with traffic"
"I found a job closer to where I live"
"The pay was not worth the commute"
"Gas prices are too high to drive that far"
"I don't know if my car will make it that far everyday"

My wife just told me that over 12 people quit this year alone because of distance or pay. As you can see, the applicant's location matters. For around $12 an hour, most people are more "selective" of what they are willing to do or how far they will drive for work.

But for any job over $35K, location may not be abig deal. Hell, any salary over 50K will search resumes out of the local area. Her company just hired someone that was willing to relocate from Texas. Of course that person was only going to do it for the right price.

What I did during my resume "screening process" was do the prospects a favor and not waste their time. If it was meant to be, then maybe they should follow up. My says that anytime an applicant does a follow-up, they usually get hired, mainly because they show motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
 
Location: ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻ ̡
7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times
Reputation: 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Agree. When I lived in San Diego I commuted to work in Irvine which is about 70 miles each way on a very congested freeway. Ironically when I moved to Orange County because I grew tired of the commute I took a job in San Diego about a year later. I did that commute for about 1.5 years. The money was pretty ridiculous at the time so it made it worth while.

I don't think with the unemployment numbers here in the Valley anywhere is too far to commute.
You would think that. I honestly believe people are not working because they do not want to work. With the exception of a few. My wife, along with her manager friends have some of the oddest "Im putting in my 2 weeks notice because..." stories. Some involve pets, the heat, headaches, Vegas is not for me, no baby sitter, too much work, don't like a co-worker...blah blah...

But this is way off topic and probably needs a new thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
 
1,374 posts, read 2,566,873 times
Reputation: 953
The mod will step in momentarily, but I know first hand the nightmare it is hiring people locally. That said, some of my most loyal employees - he ones hat never call in sick - are the few that ride the bus.

It's a personal call but I still don't think anywhere in the valley is too far. One of my sales guys just moved closer to work once he got tired of commuting from N. Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,506 posts, read 5,254,415 times
Reputation: 4933
People put lame excuses on their resignation letters so as not to burn any bridges on why they're REALLY leaving!

In Denver I drove 35 miles to work each way for 9 years....there is no combination of work/live here in LV that would even come close to that hellish commute everyday. This place is a breeze to get around! ....Especially compared to most cities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
 
17,542 posts, read 34,606,778 times
Reputation: 9985
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
The mod will step in momentarily, ...
You're right. Stick to the OP's questions, please. I can move the other posts into their own thread when I get to a computer. Thanks.

Last edited by observer53; 11-29-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,140,691 times
Reputation: 8504
I find this very pertinent to a job search, which is the OP's topic. It is good to know what a potential employer looks at when they are trying to determine if a potential employee is a good fit. I am actually very surprised at people who apply for jobs that they know they are not qualified for per the employers list of required skills. I think that maybe I am under estimating myself. We'll see.

I will be searching after the first of the year, here is Las Vegas, and this is great information for me. Thank you for letting it run. I find that the general employment thread has some good info, but it is all over the board due to so many different locales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
 
4,579 posts, read 6,141,736 times
Reputation: 5213
Sear on Maryland Parkway is hiring..I have no idea whet positions are available or what the benefits package is.. Then again i also heard there's a high turn over for bus drivers..With the bus at least you walk away with a CDL which may hep with driving for a casino or where ever..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,759,682 times
Reputation: 8976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I find this very pertinent to a job search, which is the OP's topic. It is good to know what a potential employer looks at when they are trying to determine if a potential employee is a good fit. I am actually very surprised at people who apply for jobs that they know they are not qualified for per the employers list of required skills. I think that maybe I am under estimating myself. We'll see.

I will be searching after the first of the year, here is Las Vegas, and this is great information for me. Thank you for letting it run. I find that the general employment thread has some good info, but it is all over the board due to so many different locales.
I FULLY agree Kim.....


MUCH of the time, unless there is something to alter it ....our basic decision is made by the tone and preperation of the original resume....If you dont be able to writ, you prolly aint gonna be able to speak eeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM
 
17,542 posts, read 34,606,778 times
Reputation: 9985
Having had a chance to view the whole thread, we will leave this as is. Do your best to make the advice/comments on issues that are particularly pertinent to the LV job market as possible. Some job hunting advice is universal, I know, so mixing that in is not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top