U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times

Advertisements

Ive driven it in both directions,usually at the same time of year .....Pick up the Pennsylvania turnpike, it slide on to I-70 ....follow that to the middle of nowhere in Utah then turn left onto I-15....ant weather you encounter in colorado will be mminor cause those guys KNOW how to do winter....[remember I-70 goes right past the major ski areas and they are NOT gonna lose a dime to bad weather]

Its a piece of cake trip on 70 .....if you do hit some bad weather, head in for coffee till it passes .....snot a biggie......andI have NEVER lost even a DAY'S travel in either direction.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,256,024 times
I-70 through the mountains is a crap shoot ...sometimes very foggy, snowy and icy with long stretches of being stuck behind 30mph semis or plows....plows are the worst, the stagger side by side in both lanes...no way to pass and they create a white-out condition behind them.

I went fro Denver to LV at highway speeds and two weeks later same trip was lucky to go 40mph in most areas.

Male sure the truck has -20 washer fluid in it.....if it has anything less the squirt lines will freeze...leaving you blind in there's any rain or snow! The road grime will completely coat your windshield and many areas don't have much of a shoulder.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,450,631 times
To things one you can donate the old stuff and get a tax write off and most of the charities no pick up for free. Second driving and paying for the cost of gas ???? We did just the opposite and used the money we saved by not hauling stuff to buy new stuff. Their are many used furniture stores here with good stuff and prices. Just suggesting

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,304,309 times
The thing about taking I-70 to St. Louis and then I-44 to I-40 is that it is relatively level. The only western mountain of any size is around Flagstaff and that is hardly ever closed due to snow. This usually means for U-HAuls a higher over-all speed.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 AM

3,625 posts, read 6,761,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
The thing about taking I-70 to St. Louis and then I-44 to I-40 is that it is relatively level. The only western mountain of any size is around Flagstaff and that is hardly ever closed due to snow. This usually means for U-HAuls a higher over-all speed.
+1 to this. The mountains on I-70 west of Denver are kinda dicey for about 150 miles, if you are not experienced driving a truck.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM

On 70 you can get snow/white out conditions all through Utah and even as close as St. George...

You can get snow and sleet through Kansas too...not to mention very high winds wanting to knock your truck over.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM

8,676 posts, read 8,857,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
To things one you can donate the old stuff and get a tax write off and most of the charities no pick up for free. Second driving and paying for the cost of gas ???? We did just the opposite and used the money we saved by not hauling stuff to buy new stuff. Their are many used furniture stores here with good stuff and prices. Just suggesting
I agree with this. In researching my move I found that a Uhaul towing my car would cost approx. $2400 ALONE (not counting gas and mileage charges) from Des Moines to LV. I can imagine it wold be quite a bit more from NJ. For $2400 I can buy what I need at my new place AND not have to hire people to help me unload at the other end. It's been a great excuse to get rid of 85% of my stuff that I don't need anyway.

I also researched routes and was told that I70 is not the best idea from now till March if you can help it. I drive a VW Beetle, so I wouldn't want to chance blizzard conditions in the Rockies.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
On 70 you can get snow/white out conditions all through Utah and even as close as St. George...

You can get snow and sleet through Kansas too...not to mention very high winds wanting to knock your truck over.
but plenty of motels in Limon when they close 70 .....

The Colorado Hwy guys over the pass to Vail are pretty good at keeping it open tho......snowed out skiers dont make money......

70 is still to me the most desireable route if you use your brains .

Old 12-02-2012, 04:27 PM

^^^^^ Problem is everything past the ski areas, Utah and through to St. George.
Limon isn't even close to the mountains....the mountains, weather and all the other drivers are the problem... I've driven it and was the one MAKING the tracks for miles while getting snow blind...or worse getting stuck behind some slow poke that's all over the road because they can't judge where the lanes should be.

I've crested hills and seen 5-8 cars all slid off each side, spun around or rolled...some still in the road...some semi's off the road etc...they don't/can't keep it THAT clear, besides, ICE is ICE!

Like I said, one trip in December clear sailing...two weeks later it took 22 hours to make the trip!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,689,444 times
80-15 & avoid the rockies while adding only 50 miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas