U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times

Advertisements

I am in process of trying to figure out how to deal with sound system for projection dlP projector for watching movies. I have a single story house, with not so large attic that as we know gets mighty hot in the summer. I do not have a dedicated tv room, so this will located in family room next to kitchen.

It will be tile or laminate floors, so no running wires under carpet possible. Projector will be mounted on ceiling, with screen and inputs (blue ray player, roku, computer, receiver) at other end of room. I have to be able to run HDMI from input source and and some kind of wire connection for speakers. I was thinking it might be easier and neater looking to have these speakers recessed in ceiling, but question if that is wise in our 120 degree plus attics in the summer. Could the heat damage the speakers or melt them?

This is an older house, so no pre-wiring done. Need to figure out best solution. Companies that install home theaters are way too pricy, and usually deal with very expensive systems. This is what I would refer to as a "poor mans set up" (without wires running along the floor).

Anyone with experience in this department?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I am in process of trying to figure out how to deal with sound system for projection dlP projector for watching movies. I have a single story house, with not so large attic that as we know gets mighty hot in the summer. I do not have a dedicated tv room, so this will located in family room next to kitchen.

It will be tile or laminate floors, so no running wires under carpet possible. Projector will be mounted on ceiling, with screen and inputs (blue ray player, roku, computer, receiver) at other end of room. I have to be able to run HDMI from input source and and some kind of wire connection for speakers. I was thinking it might be easier and neater looking to have these speakers recessed in ceiling, but question if that is wise in our 120 degree plus attics in the summer. Could the heat damage the speakers or melt them?

This is an older house, so no pre-wiring done. Need to figure out best solution. Companies that install home theaters are way too pricy, and usually deal with very expensive systems. This is what I would refer to as a "poor mans set up" (without wires running along the floor).

Anyone with experience in this department?
Wiring could not care less. Temperature is not a factor until you get quite hot...if I remember most wire is fine to 60C and quality stuff to over 100C.

If worried about the speakers use the hung box ones. I am skeptical though that they are bothered by the attic temperature range. Temperatures in electronic enclosures get up into the 150F range.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:51 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,435,804 times
I concur with LVOC...Look at the temperatures in your car in the summer ..They can get to 135 or more... So the speakers would be able to withstand attic heat....

Old 12-01-2012, 12:21 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
And there's no reason why you couldn't put insulation over the speakers -- styrofoam for instance -- and then drop a bunch of blown-in on top of that. The parts of the speaker that matter will be against the living side of the ceiling, anyway. The magnet and coils won't be affected by what the Mojave can throw at them. The rubber and paper are on the other end.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,625,597 times
I think it is going to matter what type speakers you are using. surely temperature can affect performance of the cone as it heats up... but you need to let us know if you are using surface mounted or flat mounted. with surface mounted I do not think you have any issues what so ever... just run the wires up the wall, into the attic and to the mount points. flat mount might be a bit more of an issue as the magnet and cone will be exposed to heat in the summer... but it's not like it will be direct sunlight which is a real issue here in the desert.

An maybe you misspoke, but you do not run HDMI "from input source and and some kind of wire connection for speakers". you use the proper gauge wire to run from an amplifier output stage to your speaker points. HDMI will only run from your source material machine(bluray player or cable input) to your Processor(HT amp) and then to your Monitor. Most Computer servers can be wireless if you want... as long as your receiver/HT amp has that capability.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:13 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,558,174 times
Yes. I was incorrect. I know the speaker wires go from the tuner to the speakers. Not sure how everything else gets hooked up to projector yet, as I will have computer and a blue ray player and tuner. (three components needing to connect to projector) Projector only has one HDMI input and one HDMI output I think. I am not very knowledgeable at this.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,566,873 times
Most everything, ie blue ray is going to hook into your receiver in and out to monitor which in your case is a projector. If the PC is for video content you might be better off getting something like an apple box to store files elsewhere or consider a ps3 as a blue ray player which will also stream content from your pc.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,020,254 times
You should check out avsforum at: AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews - because that entire website is dedicated to A/V, the expertise there is going to be a couple of orders of magnitude better than here.

Just as a side-comment, in-ceiling speakers are great for ambient sounds like casual music listening, but not so great for home-theater because much of that audio is directional. At least for the front left, right and center speakers putting them in the ceiling will really reduce the quality of the experience. If I couldn't just stand the front speakers on the floor, I'd be looking at wall-mounted speakers placed around the screen - pulling wires through most walls isn't terribly hard and will look as clean as an in-ceiling setup while sounding much better.

Stay away from BOSE though - they make a quality product that is ridiculously over-priced, like 2x-3x over-priced. Since you mentioned doing a poor-man's system, I just saw this ad on craigslist for a better-than-bose system from Orb Audio, I don't know anything about the seller, but I've used the same speakers myself and they are good value and very wife-friendly.

Orb Audio Speaker System w 8 orbs and a super 8 subwoofer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas