Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Purchasing a home in Las Vegas, Nevada, gated communities, high cost of utilities, days of sunshine, mountain scenery, crime rates and traffic issues, restaurants and social activities

Old 10-14-2007, 02:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,311,867 times

Advertisements

Have read thru everything for almost a year prior. Very much enjoy learning from all the intelligent posts from locals.

Can I rephrase my question about purchasing a home in the area by asking this; how does one get a true feel of each area if most of the communities are gated? Are there really realtors in the city who will give their time to drive into all the considered communities with the prospective buyer? If there is no way to do this and in spite of all my research, it seems like buying a pig in a poke.

In closing, I would like to tell you what I think of your city after reading some of the negative comments. After living all my life in a city that has died, a city that is so flat one can see their dog running away for miles, a city that has a list of employment ads about one column long, a city that has a bare minimum of days of sunshine a year; long cold winters; extremely high cost of utilities and outlandish real estate taxes; decreasing property values and most of the same crime and traffic problems, I'm so looking forward to being a part of a sunny city surrounded by beautiful mountains, a thriving economy and every type of retail store or type of restaurant one could want, master planned communities where one can actually get to know their neighbor and participate in social activities if they chose and actually live, instead of just being alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Have read thru everything for almost a year prior. Very much enjoy learning from all the intelligent posts from locals.

Can I rephrase my question about purchasing a home in the area by asking this; how does one get a true feel of each area if most of the communities are gated? Are there really realtors in the city who will give their time to drive into all the considered communities with the prospective buyer? If there is no way to do this and in spite of all my research, it seems like buying a pig in a poke.

In closing, I would like to tell you what I think of your city after reading some of the negative comments. After living all my life in a city that has died, a city that is so flat one can see their dog running away for miles, a city that has a list of employment ads about one column long, a city that has a bare minimum of days of sunshine a year; long cold winters; extremely high cost of utilities and outlandish real estate taxes; decreasing property values and most of the same crime and traffic problems, I'm so looking forward to being a part of a sunny city surrounded by beautiful mountains, a thriving economy and every type of retail store or type of restaurant one could want, master planned communities where one can actually get to know their neighbor and participate in social activities if they chose and actually live, instead of just being alive.
sorry i can't help you w/ the 1st part of the post, but i hope that LV lives up to your expectations so far it has for me!

been here 1.5mo....still love this town. took the dogs for a swim in lake mead today...about an hour drive...beautiful weather (high 70s-low 80s), amazing scenery (the twisted rock strata on the way back from mead through northLV is really cool). can't wait to do some camping out there heading to work now, but will treat myself to one of the great restaurants on my way home.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,311,867 times
Thank you so much for replying. Hopefully someone will jump in with an answer about the gated communities.

Looking forward to taking my dogs swimming in Lake Mead too. They would probably freak out if they saw all the carps by the marina or encountered any wave action.

And riding and looking at the rock formations, I know it is amazing. We are so stifled here, can't even take a ride as there is nothing to look at. Red Rpck canyon and the drive to Mt. Charleston is great too.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:20 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,461 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for replying. Hopefully someone will jump in with an answer about the gated communities.

Looking forward to taking my dogs swimming in Lake Mead too. They would probably freak out if they saw all the carps by the marina or encountered any wave action.

And riding and looking at the rock formations, I know it is amazing. We are so stifled here, can't even take a ride as there is nothing to look at. Red Rpck canyon and the drive to Mt. Charleston is great too.
right! there is a ton of good outdoor stuff around here. haven't been on a bad hike in the sping mts yet. still haven't officially been to red rocks (i hike some of the canyons outside the actual park, tho).

i don't know if they let dogs swim down by the marinas...i drove up around the north side and hit some dirt roads down to the lake. plenty of available space out that way, and it is all coves and bays...so there is not much wave action (thanksfully, 'cause my bulldog swims right into them and gets himself in trouble )

Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM

818 posts, read 3,693,017 times
Unless the community is guard gated, you can usually just follow somebody in. More than likely, the gates are open during the day anyway. Even if you can't get inside, it's pretty easy to tell if the tract is in disrepair from outside the gate.

As for whether a realtor will take you into every community, of course they will. If they didn't how would they expect to ever sell you a house?

Good luck in your move!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM

216 posts, read 828,305 times
Quote:

It sounds like you will like it here. I've been here a little over 3 years now. It definitely is sunny Regarding your dogs, check the CC&R's for any community you plan on buying in to make sure they are not restricted by size/weight/breed and that you are not over the limit.

Any realtor out here will take you into any community you're interested in, it doesn't matter if it is gated or guarded. I answered your other post - if you need a referral to a good realtor I'd be happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas