U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:28 PM

665 posts, read 892,997 times

Advertisements

Wife and I moved here from generally cloudy Vermont about a year ago last month. We're both fairly fair skin so we were careful to wear sunscreen last spring/summer and into fall (SPF 50). Some days of course you forget and even working outside I tanned a little but never burned (and I have a shaved head as well).

we went to Monterey, CA this past summer and even though it's cloudy in the AM and we were under cover for much of the day I got a pretty bad sun burn for the first time in years.

This leads me to the question - how bad, really, is the sun/UV here in Vegas? It sounds like a silly question as it's sunny almost all the time but I wonder why I don't tend to burn where I did in Vermont and Monterey? My thinking is that perhaps when there is moisture and/or humidity present in the air it amplifys the sun's harmful rays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM

8,893 posts, read 9,272,212 times
Did you wear sunscreen in Monterey? You can still burn on a cloudy day. Also if you were near water you are more likely to burn (any reflective surface)

Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM

2,750 posts, read 7,590,145 times
I work in the sun all day and you have to wear sunscreen anywhere you are exposed to the sun. I wear protective eye wear, good hat with neck protector and long sleeve shirt if possible. Its just preventive maintenance for your skin.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,734,091 times
yes... the suns rays here at over 2000' is much more intense than it is in Monterrey. I moved here from central cl also, and there is no comparison. The heat in vegas is very tolerable, but standing in the direct sunlight most of the year is not.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,365,609 times
there is sun

Sun Burns

ergo.....SUNBURN

Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,590,863 times
Now that you mention it, I've thought about that too. But being away from the east coast for so long I thought maybe I imagined it. It could be true. Could it maybe have something to do with sweat? Back east, especially along the coast from SC to FL, I sweated up a storm. Even in the hills of WV, especially in summer, I'd wake up soaked. Here I've never perspired nearly as much; so little I think I'm not doing it all sometimes. I guess we do, but it dries faster in the desert. As far as sunburns, I can't remember ever having a burn here like the ones I sometimes got back east. Could be in this hot sun we're just more careful.

Another thing I've noticed over the years is how wrinkled some people get as they age. I see this in both sexes, but mostly in older women who have spent their lives here; and mostly those who were in the sun a lot, and/or lived at high elevations, such as in Albuquerque. You tend to dehydrate more at high elevations; which BTW, can cause altitude sickness; which is why you should drink more water in the mountains.

I read once that if you lived your entire life indoors away from the sun you would never have any wrinkles.

Let's apply for a grant to study the sun burn phenomenon.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,831,824 times
This map is the opposite of what you might expect.

CDC - Skin Cancer Rates by State

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,576,037 times
The Admiral and I ignore the issue unless we go to Mexico in the winter.

We get lightly tanned as the sun climbs and maybe a little dark toward September.

We also go twice a year to our dermatologist who has a canister of nitrogen in each of his holsters and blasts away at each of us for 5 or 10 minutes. We then shed for two weeks.

It does not appear to be a big problem here.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,091,040 times
According to the doctors I've spoken with, it's just a good idea to include a sunscreen in your daily grooming, year round, just as you'd use a moisturizer.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM

606 posts, read 793,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
According to the doctors I've spoken with, it's just a good idea to include a sunscreen in your daily grooming, year round, just as you'd use a moisturizer.
I agree. My dermatologists always recommend using a sunscreen. That reminds me. Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist in the North Las Vegas area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or