Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,105 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice: I used to work in a Russian speaking Stan and got to know a lady pretty good. She tried to hook me up with her niece who was a 9 in looks but was one vacuous and materialistic Russkie dveushka.

The lady has a son who is now a young man…15 now. He doesn’t have a dad and I sponsored him to go to a tennis camp in the States and he is pretty cool…a bit of a cynical pessimistic like me but whatever.

Anyway, it kinda popped up that I said he could live with me in the States for his junior and senior year. I’m kind of scarred now. One, I don’t really live in Vegas as I go to school in NYC but spend most weekends at my crib in Vegas. I am waiting on a short-sale but who knows when that will come through so I just signed a year lease for an on-strip condo.

The dude is 15 although I wonder how much supervision he will need? He is a for sure top tier D1 Scholarship tennis player and a good student, but leaving a kid on the Strip while I am studying across the country could make for some interesting times.

Also, I know this weird, but I don’t want people to think I am some sort of pedophile. I got a really weird look when he was walking to my room in Tampa this summer. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
....All it's gonna take is one accusation by him or his mother and your life will be forever changed...

Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
How is he going to get to school from a strip condo? Is there school bus service at the complex where you live?

Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM

It's not like that. I just don't like getting weird looks. And I don't look like a kiddy bonker.

I am just worried about being expected to be more of a dad than a buddy.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
15 is not a legal age to be on their own. I would worry about the legalities of this. If you have these feelings, you probably know the answer.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
How is he going to get to school from a strip condo? Is there school bus service at the complex where you live?
no clue mam, I don't have any interests in such things. I guess he can drive my ride.

i want to do a good thing but what if the kid gets become a drug dealer or something and blows his tennis career and I get blamed.

The kid is from a place not much different than North Korea--except he has food.

i am a man of my word and i guess if i said i have to do it.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:12 PM

15 can not legally drive. 16 has limitations. If something happens you will most likely be held liable. I would dig deeper. As far as your word, wasn't that intended if you were living here full time?

There is no such thing as "Playing Parenthood". You either are a parent or you are not. If you are not here when he is to oversee things, then you are not. There are also other things that the child will need a parent for such as; signing ppw at the schools, getting a license, even things a small as joining a club at school. The ppw that needs a legal parent/guardian is enormous. Things you would not think of.

Don't get me wrong, I am not berating you for doing this, just hopefully making you aware that it is more than just providing a roof over their heads.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
15 is not a legal age to be on their own. I would worry about the legalities of this. If you have these feelings, you probably know the answer.
he will be a junior in hs next year and that's pretty big in my book.

it's not illegal to live with someone in the USA. There are plenty of exchange students in the US.

I have to do it, but this a huge responsibility that i am not equipped for.

i am kinda a wreck myself and normally not sober when in vegas.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
he will be a junior in hs next year and that's pretty big in my book.

it's not illegal to live with someone in the USA. There are plenty of exchange students in the US.

I have to do it, but this a huge responsibility that i am not equipped for.

i am kinda a wreck myself and normally not sober when in vegas.
Do you have children of your own? A junior in HS is not big to anyone but the junior who really knows no better. Trust me, this is the age that problems from peer pressure come to light and it could be a bad thing. Word gets out that this kid has a place with no supervision during the week...good luck!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
15 can not legally drive. 16 has limitations. If something happens you will most likely be held liable. I would dig deeper. As far as your word, wasn't that intended if you were living here full time?

There is no such thing as "Playing Parenthood". You either are a parent or you are not. If you are not here when he is to oversee things, then you are not. There are also other things that the child will need a parent for such as; signing ppw at the schools, getting a license, even things a small as joining a club at school. The ppw that needs a legal parent/guardian is enormous. Things you would not think of.
I am not trying to be a parent. I want to me more a buddy older brother type.

I'm not concerned about the legalities of this. I guess I do need to make sure he has insurance. Well, maybe I should be concerned about the legalities of this.

My word was when I stopped working in Afghanistan. That has now happened and I wont be going back.

I can be there some of the time, I just cant be riding heard over the kid 24/7.

I am not going to leave a a note, a c-note, and the keys to the wheels on the counter and be like see ya next week.

I will be there to sign things and such. And really, a 16 year old man is old enough to take care of himself.

I originally was trying to get my Serbian gf a job via an agency so she could make his borche soup or whatever but she cant get a job in the States thus far.

I guess I have until the summer to figure things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: