U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,683,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Me, kids, ROTFL. nope.
This is the only info we need.

Don't bring this child into your home. You're not prepared. It doesn't matter how "big" you think he is - he is a child, and by your own admission, you're not ready to accept that responsibility. You wouldn't be doing anybody any favors by doing this, and you'd very likely be setting him up for making bad key decisions, leading to a bad life.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,306,966 times
Don't do it.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,566,388 times
I think the roles would easily be reversed and the 15 year old would end up being he responsible one. This is only based on your posting history where you come off as very immature and not nearly mature enough to be responsible for a teenager.

Regardless of how mature a 15 year old seems they are still 15 and need a ton of guidance and supervision.

Yo might as well have asked if we though it was a good idea to get a dog when you're only going to be home on the weekends. The answers would have been the same and you would have tried to justify it anyway.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM

207 posts, read 416,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
he will be a junior in hs next year and that's pretty big in my book.

it's not illegal to live with someone in the USA. There are plenty of exchange students in the US.

I have to do it, but this a huge responsibility that i am not equipped for.

i am kinda a wreck myself and normally not sober when in vegas.
If you think you are somehow being a man by sticking to your word, I can tell you from my perspective you are not. You are taking the easy way out and hoping everything works out fine in spite of all the possibilities otherwise, and deep down I think you already know this is unlikely to be a truly good or beneficial situation for either of you.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 AM

249 posts, read 322,710 times
Bad idea

Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlesq View Post
Bad idea
the bad idea is allowing this thread to run to 5 pages of drek..........

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
Best chance for survival is for the kid to not be here under these proposed conditions!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,306,966 times
On another note, you might be able to sell him for a pretty decent price.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,449,780 times
The responses on this thread are a prime example of why internet messages boards are useful for little more than cheap amusement. Answers to questions of “should” should be taken with less than a grain of salt, at best; questions of “how” can elicit options and provide insight but the applicability and merit of such answers must be verified by multiple sources.

Why?

Because those in the peanut gallery lack context and can only use their own limited experiences as a frame of reference.

Facts: People have wide variety of intellect, fortitude, resources, and maturity. What works for Bob may not work for Susan. Most of the responses failed to apply simple reason. They assumed that a 16 year old from Tajikistan in the US will behave just like their own 15 year old pimple faced brat. Fair enough, but incorrect nonetheless.

Some 14 year olds are more mature and capable than some 50 year olds. There is no way to tell this from an anonymous message board so we must assume the norm; however, what’s “normal” to you is not always applicable to others.
If the kid stays where he is nothing positive will happen. No risk. No reward. He will live an average life for a Russian in Tajikistan, at best, and teach tennis for 8 bucks an hour for the rest of his life.

Now, if comes to the US it is more than likely he will attend a top-notch University, get a great job post-graduation, and raise the standard of living for him and his family. This is the potential reward. At worst, he becomes a drug addict and flunks out of Bishop Gormann or whatever and goes back to Tajikistan and teaches tennis for 8 bucks an hour for the rest of his life. ***For the record, dope is cheaper in Dushanbe than it is in Vegas*** Maybe he gets hit by a car on the strip…I’d rather be hit by a car in the States than in the FSU anyday.

More than likely, as this kid is highly motivated and mature he will achieve his dream and play D1 College Tennis.
In America, if you have sufficient athletic talent and can write your name on the SAT and can stay outta prison, you will get a college scholarship to chase a ball. In his country, it’s so corrupt that it does not matter how good you are if you are not from the right ethnic group or bribe the right official you won’t get a chance to play or the requisite sponsorship of the State.

The only response of merit was the gentleman who posted links to the school district policy where I learned that I might have to pay for his education if I do not use a student exchange program. I would have learned this eventually through my own gumption, but the “how” answer did save me some time.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 PM

421 posts, read 743,660 times
The most important thing discussed that you have apparently not listened to is that it is ILLEGAL to leave a 15 year old alone for the periods of time that you plan. Someone will turn you in to CPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or