U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 AM

634 posts, read 1,713,961 times

Advertisements

For one of my classes I was told to come up with creative ways for Clark County NV to conserve water as the Colorado River is slowly but surely losing its volume over time. One of my solutions gave my teacher a good laugh so I thought I would post it here b/c it is a relatively simple solution, yet in our proud society I know it would never be utilized unless some crazy disaster were to hit the area. So here is the solution and the numbers I came up with. I will admit that I'm no expert on water conservation or the recycling system of water so if some of you who are more educated would like to adjust some of these numbers or offer input please feel free to do so. I have visited the Wetlands Park in Henderson and observed the water flow from the city making its way back to Lake Mead. I don't know how this water is treated or recycled back into our local water system. If someone with this knowledge could imput these numbers that would be awesome. Anyway here is the solution and the numbers w/ estimates for one year in Clark County NV.

My solution is simple, all men residing in Clark County NV and capable of doing so urinate outside instead of using a toilet.

According to Doctor Farrell the average person should urinate once every four hours. This obviously varies by climate and many other factors, however six times in a 24 hour period is a good ballpark estimate.
Do I pee too frequently? - body+soul

The average water efficient toilet uses around 1.6 gallons per flush.
All About Toilets - Toilet Water Conservation

At 1.6 gallons per flush and 6 times of urination in 24 hours that is 9.6 gallons of water a day on average used by someone who urinates and flushes the toilet once each time.

At 9.6 gallons a day and with 365 days a year that is 3504 gallons of water used annually via toilet by the average person who flushes the toilet once when they urinate their average of six times in a 24 hour time period.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau there are an estimated 1,969,975 people residing in the Clark County NV area. Las Vegas is a tourist driven city so there is obviously a huge amount of water used by the tourists that will not be accounted for here. For this estimate we are only using the Clark County NV population of 1,969,975 stated by the census.
Clark County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Of the 1,969,975 population of Clark County the number of females is given as 49.7% so thus there must be an estimated population of 50.3% of males.
Clark County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Moving the decimal over two places to the left and making 50.3% the number of .503 and multiplying it by the given population of 1,969,975 we can estimate that the male population of Clark County is around 990,897.

Now that we have the male population at 990,897 and we estimate that the average person uses 3504 gallons of water a year to urinate via toilet we multiply 990,897 by 3504 and come up with

3,472,103,088 gallons of water saved per year via outside urination if all the men in Clark County NV were to urinate outside for one year.

I know this will most likely never occur unless there is some crazy shortage of water, but it is a humorous ordeal to contemplate. Have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM

587 posts, read 927,865 times
Cute idea.

I hate to pour cold water on your idea, but if you have never walked in an area where people urinate outdoors, you might want to consider that it might take far more water than you'd save just to try to wash the ... scent ... away.

Then there would be the hiring of the people whose task would be to ... rid the populace of this scent. What do you suppose their job title might be?

And where would it wash away to?

The quest for efficiency might prevail. There would be jobs for those whose job it would be to build something to carry this scent away ... far away ... perhaps a system of canals and aqueducts, gleaming in the bright Las Vegas sunlight.

Then would come the photographers, as Las Vegas could now be famous for something new.

Just kidding, of course.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,624,675 times
sign an agreement with Mexico over storage and usage...

:/thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,043,376 times
A dual flush toilet such as Amazon.com: ONE2FLUSH Dual Flush Toilet Conversion Kit Bonus Pack with new improved handle design, Better Fill water saving fill valve 3 St. Steel Bolts,Tank Bowl Gasket. Convert existing toilets to efficient dual flush toilets that Exceed Green Plum uses .8 gallons per "mini flush" rather than the 1.6 of a standard toilet.

You can get close to 50% of your total savings number that way.

They work great, I have one.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post

They work great, I have one.
They work better than great. I bought three. Everyone should use these.

PS -- Although it takes about one gallon to get my bowl to flush a "number one," not eight tenths. That's still some savings. My water bill has gone down a couple bucks since installing these. I just like it because it's a far more efficient system.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 12-14-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,754,701 times
To qute dustin Hoffman,

If it's Yellow let it mellow if it's Brown flush it down.

I have two of them and theyre great.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM

For Want of Water - Topics - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
People never point fingers at the true culprit -- the invasive tamarisk tree. All the tamarisks along the Colorado consume TEN TIMES the amount of water that Las Vegas does. All that water ends up in the atmosphere as vapor.

If we got rid of the tamarisk, we would have no problems with water and the Colorado river.

Google it.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Interesting about the Tamarisk tree. I hadn't even heard of that problem until now.

Tamarisk Frequently Asked Questions - Questions about the Tamarisk plants near Moab, Utah.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Tamarisk is on the list of things to be looked at but it is not all that significant. Eliminating the Tamarisk may be a good thing to do but it does not solve the problems of the Colorado River. Not nearly.

One thing you might do is damn off part of the river. If you can make it deeper and wider you lose less to evaporation. Note that every acre of the Colorado loses 7 acre feet each year to evaporation.

And you want way out solution just stop the evaporation. You could do that by covering it or perhaps more realistically inject a polymer that forms a thin but evaporative resistant coating. Such polymers exist the question is mostly cost and a little safety.

A few hundred million ping pong balls would do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas