U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM

11 posts, read 24,782 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

You guys are really helpful Thank You!

I am about to buy a property in Summerlin area 89144 near bonner school. Its a nice 3 card garage 2700sqft house in traditional sale.

After going in contract when I contacted my insurance company to buy a policy, they said that they have pending claims from the seller. Seller never told us anything.

Later when I said these things to my seller, the seller says that they have a break-in in the house 6 months prior and the culprits broke the back sliding glass door,a window and garage door and vandalized the carpet and stole personal property. Looks like the seller has fixed some things as it looks alright. They had a claim for $13,000!!they got paid

The community also has had many break-ins in 2010 and car thefts since then and some people say that it has gone down a little now.

Now, I am confused as to many things:

1.I thought summerlin was a nice area?? Really?? rampant break-ins and car thefts are seen??
2.The seller did not disclose these things before we went on contract.. is that illegal?
3.Should I buy the house that was burglarized and always live in fear of that happening again/memory?
4.We went on contract with this property after some good searching.. I believe the market has thin inventory.. can I just walk away to go get a different home easily?

Please help.. generally how is the area around anazazi and banburry, near oxford park...safe?..ok? etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM

11,992 posts, read 23,484,106 times
You can have crime anywhere but so many believe that Summerlin is the best. Think about it...if you were going to break into a house. Where would it be. And no the seller doesn't have to disclose. Depending on your contract, you may be able to get out of it during due diligence. Personally, I would've chosen the northwest. You paid 20% for the summerlin name.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:57 PM

261 posts, read 365,440 times
Please send me the info on that house if you decide to bail. Oh, and Summerlin is extremely dangerous. Street gangs, mafia, Chinese triads, killer bees, pit bulls with AIDS. You definitely want to send that listing to me, i will get you out of this pickle. No thanks necessary, that's how I roll.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM

207 posts, read 432,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor100k View Post
Hello All,

You guys are really helpful Thank You!

I am about to buy a property in Summerlin area 89144 near bonner school. Its a nice 3 card garage 2700sqft house in traditional sale.

After going in contract when I contacted my insurance company to buy a policy, they said that they have pending claims from the seller. Seller never told us anything.

Later when I said these things to my seller, the seller says that they have a break-in in the house 6 months prior and the culprits broke the back sliding glass door,a window and garage door and vandalized the carpet and stole personal property. Looks like the seller has fixed some things as it looks alright. They had a claim for $13,000!!they got paid

The community also has had many break-ins in 2010 and car thefts since then and some people say that it has gone down a little now.

Now, I am confused as to many things:

1.I thought summerlin was a nice area?? Really?? rampant break-ins and car thefts are seen??
2.The seller did not disclose these things before we went on contract.. is that illegal?
3.Should I buy the house that was burglarized and always live in fear of that happening again/memory?
4.We went on contract with this property after some good searching.. I believe the market has thin inventory.. can I just walk away to go get a different home easily?

Please help.. generally how is the area around anazazi and banburry, near oxford park...safe?..ok? etc?
I'm not personally familiar with that area, but for #2, The disclosures are related to defects or problems with the house, I don't think this would fall into the sellers obligation to disclose (though I'm not an expert on this).

As for #4, I think you may have a hard time. I have family that has put offers on multiple properties and have yet to be successful. Inventory is thin as you mentioned, and desirable properties are scooped up pretty quickly (from what I see many go under contract within a 1-3 days of being listed on the MLS) If you like the house I would think very hard before letting it go myself.

You know, all it takes is a couple of dopey teenagers to do something like this. It really stinks, but doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the area, or that it is dangerous or any more likely to happen again. It's a tough call, but as far as the fear thing you mention in #3, would it be any different if you never found out about it? You must realize that this can happen just about anywhere. You may want to investigate the area more, have you been able to spend a little time wandering the general area?

Whatever you decide, best wishes, and if you move forward with the purchase, I hope you enjoy your new home to it's fullest.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:13 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,744,224 times
Don't sweat it. Burglary is almost always a matter of neighborhood density. The denser the neighborhood the higher the burglary rate.

Here are a few samples of where you are and the communities to the north and east.

Summary Report 89144
Crime Type Total Chart
AUTO BURGLARY 18
BURGLARY 13
Grand Total 31

Crime Type Total Chart
AUTO BURGLARY 8
BURGLARY 32
Grand Total 40

Summary Report 89128
Crime Type Total Chart
AUTO BURGLARY 15
BURGLARY 73
Grand Total 88

Summary Report 89129
Crime Type Total Chart
AUTO BURGLARY 11
BURGLARY 47
Grand Total 58

These are summary reports for 60 days for burglary and auto burglary.

My only suggestion to you would be to make sure you put your cars away at night.

Crime rates are virtually never disclosed. You can however find them out easy enough. A burglary on the property would not be reportable unless not repaired.

Don't sweat it a lot. If you live on a golf course get an alarm and particularly some motion sensing lights to the course side.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 24,782 times
Thanks!

These numbers are a lot for the size of the area in 60 days! So on an average there are about 1 incident every 1.5 days! Wonder what's LVMPD doing about it, they fight for their pay raises without any hesitation!

Wonder how downtown numbers would be like!

Wondering should I get a larger dog and train it or just an alarm system should work? Heard something like this: "before LVMPD comes, these culprits get away stealing your stuff!"

Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent theft?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,744,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regor100k View Post
Thanks!

These numbers are a lot for the size of the area in 60 days! So on an average there are about 1 incident every 1.5 days! Wonder what's LVMPD doing about it, they fight for their pay raises without any hesitation!

Wonder how downtown numbers would be like!

Wondering should I get a larger dog and train it or just an alarm system should work? Heard something like this: "before LVMPD comes, these culprits get away stealing your stuff!"

Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent theft?
Live in places with 1/2 acre or more.

Get a good sized rottweiler or two. Geese also work.

Set up an alarm with a noisy local siren. The monitored ones don't prevent the breakin - merely cause them to leave quickly.

Have a live in housekeeper.

Make sure no one ever learns how your security works...(see Jan Jones. Second floor safe in a gated Summerlin home in the middle of the day...and it was a big safe)

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 11,387,678 times
Have a security system.

Regarding disclosure, it is the buyer's obligation to perform their due diligence on a property and the neighborhood, etc. It is only the seller's duty to disclose material facts about the actual property itself. Any place has crime.

I'm more interested in what's going to happen with that insurance lien. Was it just a coincidence that you picked the same company,or was the information in a database of some kind that they all use to screen new properties? What's left to be fixed? Why is the matter still "open" as far as they're concerned?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 AM

17,634 posts, read 36,008,951 times
Do not get a dog solely for the purpose of defending your property. Yes, a barking dog (not necessarily of any particular breed) MAY make a burglar move on to the next house, but an alarm system is a better option.

Agree with KonaKat about why the claim is still "open". I'd check that out.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 AM

512 posts, read 667,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Do not get a dog solely for the purpose of defending your property. Yes, a barking dog (not necessarily of any particular breed) MAY make a burglar move on to the next house, but an alarm system is a better option.

I agree. I did not want to pay for security alarm system. So on Amazon I purchased some ADT security signs. Put them around house..
I haven't been to house in 10 months and it hasn't been touched. (My landscaper checked it out 2 weeks ago) .

best $50 I spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas