U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,875,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

What area of the city shall we start?
The downtown area would be perfect. Since it is currently going through a transition phase for the better. A little local art mixed with what history is left of the area. Great mix.

There is a little down there already that is tolerated but nothing like what I posted.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM

16,509 posts, read 20,066,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The LACK of graffiti is one of the many things I love about Las Vegas. 99% of it is crap, not "art" at all.
Alright! Alright! Let's take your estimate of 99% is crap, then why, why, why are we painting over the 1%!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM

10,869 posts, read 13,672,280 times
Quote:
Alright! Alright! Let's take your estimate of 99% is crap, then why, why, why are we painting over the 1%!!!

Because this town celebrates bland, homogenous and dull.

[snip-- off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 04:59 PM

207 posts, read 417,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Because this town celebrates bland, homogenous and dull.

[snip-- off topic]
Yeah, that's why it's such a tourist hotspot - because people love bland and dull - that explains it, but I'll stay on topic.

This town may not be to your taste, much like graffiti is not to my taste. I agree that much of what was presented in this thread is quite impressive art, but much of it I don't care for. I also agree with an earlier poster that the lack of graffiti was one of the things I liked about LV. I suppose it has it's place, but either way painting hundreds of miles? No thank you.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM

460 posts, read 828,007 times
Quote:
Why can't we take some of that $30million we spend every year erasing grafitti, and hire the best grafitti artists out there to use some of that money to do some exciting/memorable street art on our "canvasses"?
So, what do we do when a graffiti artist paints new graffiti over the original graffiti, that we paid for? Do we pay more money to erase the new graffiti off of the original (purchased) graffiti?

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,813,423 times
Why not just keep at it and paint over it.....or if we dont like the reasonably grafitti free town, then move away .....

Old 12-19-2012, 03:54 AM

48 posts, read 109,770 times
Interesting thread for me. I'm opening a fitness and tanning place in Mountain's Edge later this month and recently hired a graffiti artist to do mural artwork throughout the entire facility. I'm hoping to open several of these gyms around town.

Downtown project would be the perfect entity to support this and add to the culture of downtown.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM

All the beautiful artwork deleted. I think only one photo was copy written. Oh we'll.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 AM

460 posts, read 828,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I think only one photo was copy written.
This is a common misconception.

The photographer owns the copyright to his pictures, as soon as he snaps the shutter. And no one can use those pictures (with very few exceptions), without getting permission from the photographer, first. For instance, you own the copyright to all of your cell phone images you have posted on CD, and no one can (legally) can use those pictures, without your permission. And that includes reposting those pictures somewhere else on the web. I've been into photography for some 40 years. But the potential for copyright violation is the reason I very rarely post pictures on the web. Rather than trying to explain it all, here is a quickie article that helps clarify some of the copyright myths.

Copyright Myths Debunked

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
This is a common misconception.

The photographer owns the copyright to his pictures, as soon as he snaps the shutter. And no one can use those pictures (with very few exceptions), without getting permission from the photographer, first. For instance, you own the copyright to all of your cell phone images you have posted on CD, and no one can (legally) can use those pictures, without your permission. And that includes reposting those pictures somewhere else on the web. I've been into photography for some 40 years. But the potential for copyright violation is the reason I very rarely post pictures on the web. Rather than trying to explain it all, here is a quickie article that helps clarify some of the copyright myths.

Copyright Myths Debunked
I always post links to the source also. Does that matter? Plus there is no personal gain. If anything, I probably direct online traffick to the original website where the photos are hosted. More beneficial to the original photographer. Sometimes the picture itself is the link. Sometimes I post a link and it gets edited or deleted. Maybe a violation of rules on here.

I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or