Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Been taking photo tours of cities around the world, via skyscraperpage.com, and I'm awed by all the artistic grafitti street art I see all over Europe, other parts of the world, as well as in the U.S., and with Las Vegas' hundreds of miles of walls in this valley, why is it you see little or none of that here?

Outside the Strip (and even that's questionable!) are we that conservative that we won't allow street art to proliferate in this valley? Put some color into this earth-toned ad-nauseum city of ours!!!

Why can't we take some of that $30million we spend every year erasing grafitti, and hire the best grafitti artists out there to use some of that money to do some exciting/memorable street art on our "canvasses"?

About 6 months ago, someone in the vacinity of Flamingo/Sandhill put a quarter-block long mural along Flamingo, and I almost crashed into one their walls with my car celebrating, hoping this will spread more throughout the valley. 2 weeks later, it was all painted over, every stitch of it, with grey paint!

Welcome to Las Vegas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
sorry, i'm completely against graffiti art...if thats what you want to call it.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Because in this country the true graffitti artists are outnumbered by the graffitti scratchers that make anything look like S**T......

And unfortunately once you let them start the crap never ends...

Old 12-15-2012, 02:25 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
The LACK of graffiti is one of the many things I love about Las Vegas. 99% of it is crap, not "art" at all.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
There is just too much of a stigma attached to graffiti. Most people don't even understand it or don't know how to read it.

Maybe if graffiti artist made their work more legible for EVERYONE to comprehend. Only then, will the stigma be lifted.

Most graffiti artists have the mentality of

"if you don't understand it, then it is not meant for you".

"As long as me and my crew understand the artwork, that's all that matters"

"That bridge over the freeway needs to be tagged"

"Permission? Who needs permission?"

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
sorry, i'm completely against graffiti art...if thats what you want to call it.
Speak for yourself. I would pay dearly to have Banksy "graffiti" the interior/exterior of my house. It would add a couple hundred thousand to the value.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
PERSONAL opinion only .....this aint Gnu Yawk, this Ain't miami or some other 3rd world country.....

The people that dislike Grafiti$hit SEEM to me to outnumber the taggers....and BTW just cause the 'celebs' pay tons-o-money for it doesnt make it good .

Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
GRAFFITI is not art. Enroll in an art class and draw on paper or paint on canvas.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I personally believe that in a number of places the municipalities have created immense visual blight which could well be served by a little art. Twenty years ago it was allowed to build concrete block walls on the property line. Now of course a set back is required with landscaping.

I would think it would be most interesting to start a public program to decorate such walls. I am not suggesting naked tagging which is more a communication than an art work. But perhaps a few crews going around proposing and getting approval for wall decor. Do a few trial blocks and start a trend. Eventually require that plain external walls be decorated or set back and landscaped.

I like plain concrete block walls better than "tagger" graffiti but not by much. Something better as we cannot go back and make them landscape.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
[orphaned]
There's some extremely talented grafitti artists, and other non-grafitti artists, that could put some much-needed color to our earth-tone walls in this city and turn it into a showcase, a tourist attraction, if this extremely conservative city would only allow it, give it a chance!

Or you could let various neighborhoods take a vote on it, which mural(s) would serve their communities best.

I have a patient, at where I work, who's leaving Las Vegas as she feels, with all these unadorned walls in this city, it's like she's living in a prison. She comes from a part of the country, where you so much as put up a chain-link or picket fence around your property, you're looked upon with suspicion in the neighborhood.

So let's put some much-needed "art work" into this community, and show it off to the tourists who visit here with guided tours!

What area of the city shall we start?

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: