Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know if anyone (like Scoop) knows him in real life. He used to work at Joel Robuchon before he started doing reality TV. He seems very talented but arrogant. Just curious to know if this is his true persona or put on for reality TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
No, I don't know him.

In general, you will find that TV people aren't bad, just edited that way. Most of the celebrity chefs I know are nothing at all like they appear on TV. (Except Thomas Keller, who is just as nice as he always appears to be.) Gordon Ramsay is a sweetheart. And Anthony Bourdain hates the fact that he's famous.

I wonder about Wolfgang Puck, though. I don't know him. But lately, he just seems to be phoning it in.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 AM

743 posts, read 968,332 times
haha, there's no way Anthony Bourdain hates the fact he's famous. Love the guy, his show is one of my favorites, but he seems to enjoy the camera.
I've met some Top Chef and celebrity chefs around vegas just in the past year...a few were here at the Lucky Rice food expo over the summer, they were all nice, Dale tilde was kind of an ass...Rick Moonen is sometimes hanging out at his RM Seafood joint at Mandalay Bay. Nice guy.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No, I don't know him.

In general, you will find that TV people aren't bad, just edited that way. Most of the celebrity chefs I know are nothing at all like they appear on TV. (Except Thomas Keller, who is just as nice as he always appears to be.) Gordon Ramsay is a sweetheart. And Anthony Bourdain hates the fact that he's famous.

I wonder about Wolfgang Puck, though. I don't know him. But lately, he just seems to be phoning it in.

Wolfgang has himself spread pretty thin with all his local ventures. He's a good man who takes time out to give back to the community often. My youngest has a chef's coat that Puck signed for him on one of his visits with the students at NW Tech.

I don't know Marcel either, but I know that some jerk here in town walked up to him, asked if he was Marcel from Top Chef, and upon receiving an affirmative answer, hit Marcel with a bottle. The resulting wound required thirty stitches. No wonder he (Marcel) left town.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,923 times
That's crazy.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
haha, there's no way Anthony Bourdain hates the fact he's famous.
I assure you that he does. He eats where I work often. He is quite sick of random *******s pestering him while he's trying to just be a husband and dad. (His wife competes in jiu jitsu events, many of which are held here in Las Vegas.)

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I assure you that he does. He eats where I work often. He is quite sick of random *******s pestering him while he's trying to just be a husband and dad. (His wife competes in jiu jitsu events, many of which are held here in Las Vegas.)

I'm sure most celebrities get tired of the attention when they are trying to be private citizens. The most I would give him is a head nod since I consider it very rude to bother people when they are trying to enjoy a meal with family. I enjoyed his book very much.

We're Vegas locals though, so we are used to celebrities. Joe tourist from Podunk might not have received the memo.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Furthermore, he is nice to the servers and always manages to pass word to the kitchen that they did a good job. Other celebrity "chefs" are absolute ass-clowns. (Looking at you, Rachel Ray. The bartenders and servers at my old place are STILL talking about the $0 tip you left them after you had them close down half the restaurant so you could film yourself eating.)

Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Furthermore, he is nice to the servers and always manages to pass word to the kitchen that they did a good job. Other celebrity "chefs" are absolute ass-clowns. (Looking at you, Rachel Ray. The bartenders and servers at my old place are STILL talking about the $0 tip you left them after you had them close down half the restaurant so you could film yourself eating.)

My husband despises Rachel Ray. He's a server on the strip, so you can imagine why. She's not exactly a celebrity chef anyway, she's a home cook with a TV show. I do have one of her Furi collection knives that fits well in my small hand.

The husband says that Emeril Lagasse is always very nice when he come in. Emeril is one of my favorites. I've tried a couple of his published recipes and they were fantastic. I also copy Alton Brown's stuff from time to time. I love that guy.

I don't know if Bobby Flay just has a great on-air persona, but he seems really nice. Robert Irvine seems like a pain to work with, but I wouldn't mind meeting him. Same with Tom Collichio.(sp?)

My youngest did his internship at Bouchon and he agreed with you that Thomas Keller is very nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM

743 posts, read 968,332 times
My mom met Bobby Flay in upstate NY when he did a surprise cook-off thing for his show, she said he was cool. You meet a lot of these big names at the food shows around town here in Vegas...talk about a good time. Wiley Duphrane (sp?) I saw (never spoke to) along with some "Iron Chefs"...Sur Lee, very nice...I guess fame can take a toll on Bourdain...he's probably one of the guy's in the industry I'd be most excited to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: