Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,371 times

Advertisements

Our house was burglarized before we could get an alarm system installed. The same MO has happened a few times in the last few years within a couple miles of us. It looks like they case the house for a while & learn routines, then kick in the front door during the middle of the day when you're gone, grabbing all the electronics, jewelry & valuables they can find in a few minutes.

I had a lengthy discussion with the detective about security & the basic synopsis is this:

1) The best quick-and-easy security system is FIDO - woof, woof. Get a noisy dog. Thieves want to avoid conflict while getting in & out as quickly as possible. A dog can throw a wrench in the works for them. They'll avoid you & go elsewhere.

2) Monitoring services aren't worth it. According to the detective, most don't have a presence in the state anyways - meaning a call may go to Utah or California, where they have to coordinate with whatever local people may be available. They said it's often an hour or more before someone gets to the house; the thieves are ALWAYS gone by the time anyone responds. Your best bet is to deter them in the first place or, at a minimum, make it inconvenient for them so they go to the next block.

3) Use heavy duty three inch screws in your door jamb & possibly a heavy duty strike plate. I couldn't believe the cheap-ass one inch screws the builder used to secure our very large front door. No wonder it was so easy to kick in - now the door ain't going anywhere without a battering ram.

4) Keep in mind even if you were to come home & walk in on a burglary, their priority is to get out quickly. It's not too different from a black widow spider; they don't want conflict & will generally only respond in survival & defense mode. The rare time there's a person-to-person incident is usually because you're blocking their way out or do something to instigate things. (The safe room idea seems a waste of space & financial resources, with rare exceptions.)

In the end, we (I) installed our own security system after researching & buying the components online. No, it's not monitored, but it'll make a helluva lot of noise & draw the neighbor's attention very quickly, which is what the thieves don't want. Ours has a battery backup & wireless communication in case they try to cut the power. As a backup, we set up a video surveillance system. If we didn't already have ferrets, we probably would've also gotten a dog. (The ferrets would probably try to play with potential thieves & chase them around the house, so they don't count for security.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I know exactly one person who benefited from his monitored system and it wasn't a break-in. It was an electrical fire when he was away from home.Saved his house. For burglaries, I agree with Delgabob. Woof Woof.

That door kick-in burglary happened to a person I know. He was in the process of moving and had brought his TV and gaming systems to the new place, but hadn't brought the dog over yet. He had insurance, so the losses were covered, but if that big-ass dog of his had been there, he would have avoided some hassles.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 AM

200 posts, read 618,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know exactly one person who benefited from his monitored system and it wasn't a break-in. It was an electrical fire when he was away from home.Saved his house. For burglaries, I agree with Delgabob. Woof Woof.

That door kick-in burglary happened to a person I know. He was in the process of moving and had brought his TV and gaming systems to the new place, but hadn't brought the dog over yet. He had insurance, so the losses were covered, but if that big-ass dog of his had been there, he would have avoided some hassles.
If they want in bad enough they will kill the dog, I have seen it, an alarm keeps them from spending a long time in your home, they do want to get out asap when the siren is going off, without it they can spend hours cleaning you out.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealarm View Post
If they want in bad enough they will kill the dog, I have seen it, an alarm keeps them from spending a long time in your home, they do want to get out asap when the siren is going off, without it they can spend hours cleaning you out.
I suppose that is true for people with many items worth stealing. I don't have any Picasso's on my walls.

It would take ten minutes for an experienced thief to clean me out, and with the big dog barking, odds are they'd just go elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Our house was burglarized before we could get an alarm system installed. The same MO has happened a few times in the last few years within a couple miles of us. It looks like they case the house for a while & learn routines, then kick in the front door during the middle of the day when you're gone, grabbing all the electronics, jewelry & valuables they can find in a few minutes.

I had a lengthy discussion with the detective about security & the basic synopsis is this:

1) The best quick-and-easy security system is FIDO - woof, woof. Get a noisy dog. Thieves want to avoid conflict while getting in & out as quickly as possible. A dog can throw a wrench in the works for them. They'll avoid you & go elsewhere.

2) Monitoring services aren't worth it. According to the detective, most don't have a presence in the state anyways - meaning a call may go to Utah or California, where they have to coordinate with whatever local people may be available. They said it's often an hour or more before someone gets to the house; the thieves are ALWAYS gone by the time anyone responds. Your best bet is to deter them in the first place or, at a minimum, make it inconvenient for them so they go to the next block.

3) Use heavy duty three inch screws in your door jamb & possibly a heavy duty strike plate. I couldn't believe the cheap-ass one inch screws the builder used to secure our very large front door. No wonder it was so easy to kick in - now the door ain't going anywhere without a battering ram.

4) Keep in mind even if you were to come home & walk in on a burglary, their priority is to get out quickly. It's not too different from a black widow spider; they don't want conflict & will generally only respond in survival & defense mode. The rare time there's a person-to-person incident is usually because you're blocking their way out or do something to instigate things. (The safe room idea seems a waste of space & financial resources, with rare exceptions.)

In the end, we (I) installed our own security system after researching & buying the components online. No, it's not monitored, but it'll make a helluva lot of noise & draw the neighbor's attention very quickly, which is what the thieves don't want. Ours has a battery backup & wireless communication in case they try to cut the power. As a backup, we set up a video surveillance system. If we didn't already have ferrets, we probably would've also gotten a dog. (The ferrets would probably try to play with potential thieves & chase them around the house, so they don't count for security.)

There are so many crazies out there I would not want to have a security system based on rational behavior. A couple of years ago there was a story in the paper about a big guy who kicked in the front door of an elderly man at 11 at night. The elderly man confronted the intruder with a .45 automatic and told him to get the hell out of his house or else he would kill him. The intruder advanced toward the homeowner and was shot dead.

BTW, any regular bedroom can be a safe room for the price of a deadbolt and some 3 inch screws. Metro will respond very quickly if you call 911 and report a home invasion in progress. This is a good alternative for folks who don't want to use firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas