U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
 
7,676 posts, read 11,284,638 times
Reputation: 15259

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Sounds like another "loophole law," only enforced when they want to harass someone who otherwise isn't breaking any laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
In this case "they" are neighbors complaining.

In the spirit of live and let live, being annoying shouldn't be illegal. There are other ways to deal with it. Maybe try talking to the criminal car owner?
So, it is your opinion then that it is the complaining neighbors who are in the wrong here and are trying to harass the poor put-upon person who has turned the street into a used car lot?

And as for annoyances not being illegal, would that exend to other nuisance laws such as sound ordinances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
 
1,589 posts, read 1,821,807 times
Reputation: 1695
At some point there needs to be some common sense brought to bear. It has gotten to the point where you can't breath without potentially breaking some law. Remember, it's easy to want a law against what YOU find annoying. But chances are, YOU do things that annoy others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,145,995 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
At some point there needs to be some common sense brought to bear. It has gotten to the point where you can't breath without potentially breaking some law. Remember, it's easy to want a law against what YOU find annoying. But chances are, YOU do things that annoy others as well.
You are off base. Those laws have been around for many years. If not enforced you end up with small repair shops and car lots being established using the street for storage. It happens now particularly in less affluent non-HOA neighborhoods. We know if a situation up near Trop and Fort Apache where a guy was basically running a construction yard out of the street in front of his house.

There are a number of these codes which are enforced by code enforcement when the neighbors complain. The enforcement structure is pretty light. They can't really keep up with the complaints anymore initiate them.

The temporary used car lots would be all over the place if not for enforcement. They still appear periodically until a crackdown occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 1,821,807 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You are off base. Those laws have been around for many years. If not enforced you end up with small repair shops and car lots being established using the street for storage. It happens now particularly in less affluent non-HOA neighborhoods. We know if a situation up near Trop and Fort Apache where a guy was basically running a construction yard out of the street in front of his house.

There are a number of these codes which are enforced by code enforcement when the neighbors complain. The enforcement structure is pretty light. They can't really keep up with the complaints anymore initiate them.

The temporary used car lots would be all over the place if not for enforcement. They still appear periodically until a crackdown occurs.
And the same laws that will punish someone doing something like you describe can be used to totally screw with the guy who lost his job and just wants to sell his one car. You can exaggerate just about anything to the point that it becomes unacceptable. Again, some common sense will help here.

We've become so accustomed to throwing laws at every single problem, it's getting ridiculous. I'll bet you break at least 10 laws before you make it to work in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,772,788 times
Reputation: 8976
10!!!!? damned amateurs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,606,542 times
Reputation: 17435
+1 ^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:38 PM
 
17,543 posts, read 34,623,601 times
Reputation: 9985
Virtually every city in the country has ordinances about the length of time a car can be parked in one place in residential areas. And, they've been on the books for years, they are nothing new. If someone really needs to sell their car, and they obviously aren't still using the car, they need to find another way to go about it. If it's been "months", I think a call to code enforcement is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:50 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,145,995 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
And the same laws that will punish someone doing something like you describe can be used to totally screw with the guy who lost his job and just wants to sell his one car. You can exaggerate just about anything to the point that it becomes unacceptable. Again, some common sense will help here.

We've become so accustomed to throwing laws at every single problem, it's getting ridiculous. I'll bet you break at least 10 laws before you make it to work in the morning.
You really need to spend six months attending town hall meetings.

- Yes I really have to have nine cars in my front yard in pieces. It is my hobby and I love my cars.

- I need all those old bakery trucks parked in my yard. They have my mothers furniture in them and I would have to rent space if I did not keep them there.

- My two cheetahs are house pets. They are declawed though the big male weighs 55 lbs and could probably kill a grown adult.

- I am not running an auto repair business. Those 9 employees just stop here for morning coffee.

- Well yes 23 horses is a bit on an acre. But we take good care of them and we could not do our traill rides with less.

- Yes I know 13 mini-ature horses are a bit much on an a half acre. But I am getting rid of the excess as fast as I can sell them.

- I don't see why I should not have a 10,000 SF outbuilding. I need to hold parties for 100 or so of my close friends. Well there is lots of parking on the nearest three blocks. It is only a couple of times a week. why would the neighbors care.

And of course the innocent can get screwed up. Though I have probably helped in 20 or 30 instances when this stuff was fixed to everyone's satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 PM
 
1,589 posts, read 1,821,807 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You really need to spend six months attending town hall meetings.

- Yes I really have to have nine cars in my front yard in pieces. It is my hobby and I love my cars.

- I need all those old bakery trucks parked in my yard. They have my mothers furniture in them and I would have to rent space if I did not keep them there.

- My two cheetahs are house pets. They are declawed though the big male weighs 55 lbs and could probably kill a grown adult.

- I am not running an auto repair business. Those 9 employees just stop here for morning coffee.

- Well yes 23 horses is a bit on an acre. But we take good care of them and we could not do our traill rides with less.

- Yes I know 13 mini-ature horses are a bit much on an a half acre. But I am getting rid of the excess as fast as I can sell them.

- I don't see why I should not have a 10,000 SF outbuilding. I need to hold parties for 100 or so of my close friends. Well there is lots of parking on the nearest three blocks. It is only a couple of times a week. why would the neighbors care.

And of course the innocent can get screwed up. Though I have probably helped in 20 or 30 instances when this stuff was fixed to everyone's satisfaction.
You know, it's like every time a few abuse something everyone has to suffer. Why is it now acceptable to allow a few to spoil it for everyone? It didn't used to be like this. Back in the day society used to have the common sense to punish the few, now days A LAW has to be made and every damned person must follow it, even if it was never really a problem for the normal people trying to live a normal life.

You know what really annoys me? Real Estate Agents who maliciously lie about current housing markets to gin up sales. I really hate it when they cause so much trouble they get banned and have to make a new username. Should this be against the law? Should they be fined? Naw. Live and let live I say. I have enough smarts to make my own decisions.

Lighten up a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 PM
 
7,676 posts, read 11,284,638 times
Reputation: 15259
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
And the same laws that will punish someone doing something like you describe can be used to totally screw with the guy who lost his job and just wants to sell his one car. You can exaggerate just about anything to the point that it becomes unacceptable.
Which is exactly what you've just done.


Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Again, some common sense will help here.
Yes, it will. Let's try some: Do you think the usual enforcement of this law is to cutail situations such as described by the OP or is it used "...to screw with the guy who lost his job and just wants to sell his one car."

Be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top