U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 PM

629 posts, read 980,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
Sorry -- what are RNPs?
Rural Neighborhood Preservation Areas - they're lovely!

RNPs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM

587 posts, read 928,023 times
Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,852,083 times

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
Have you thought about Pittsburgh? Life in many of the neighborhoods in the CITY of Pittsburgh meet all your criteria. I have friends who sound a lot like you happily living in Polish Hill, Garfield, Friendship, and Lawrenceville (you might hear talk about the South Side being a place for the young and hip, but it's become wall-to-wall bars in recent years).

Pittsburgh has for decades had a thriving and huge arts scene. Thanks to the world-renowned Graduate Writing Program at the University of Pittsburgh, the city probably has more writers per capita than any city I can think of other than Iowa City and perhaps Washington, DC. There are more trees per square mile in Pittsburgh than in any other urban space in the U.S. and the parks are large and plentiful. There's a farmer's market in every neighborhood and the East End Food Co-op pioneered the genre. In spite of the hills, biking is a mania among many and the clean and thriving three rivers provide plenty of opportunities for boating of all kinds, especially rowing. All this and among the lowest housing costs in the country and not the worst economy, if you'll be job hunting.

Pittsburgh City Living - Top Ten
Pittsburgh, PA City Guide - Neighborhoods, Attractions, Real Estate Listings and Events : HGTV FrontDoor Real Estate
East End Food Co-Op - Point Breeze - Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome to Sustainable Pittsburgh
Three River Rowing Association (TRRA)
Living in Pittsburgh - Cool Pittsburgh
Portlandia, your 15 minutes are up. Long live Pittsburgh - The Style Blog - The Washington Post
Watch out Portland, Pittsburgh's lookin' hip - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 399,819 times
Good luck finding what you're looking for in Las Vegas but I don't think for the most part it exists. Paradise Palms and places like that around downtown are probably the closer you're going to get but then again you have to live downtown. I wouldn't recommend that to any of my friends, at least at this point.

If you're in town check out Blue Diamond (town) about 30 minutes from the airport. Quaint little town with none of the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas. There are some older, beautiful well kept inner neighborhoods in Las Vegas, sometimes just a few streets here and there and none come to mind that I come across just driving around town. I highly recommend driving around town first before signing a year lease, or if not play it safe and rent in one of the 'safe' areas people have mentioned here.

The problem with Las Vegas is that it went absolutely crazy the past 2 years, nothing old was kept up (for the most part) and buidings went up like crazy across the valley. The same monotomous super centers and strip malls. All of the people who could afford it moved out to the edges of town, for the most part, excluding several places, The Lakes, Spanish Trail, Tomiyasu Lane etc. I hope over the next 10-20 years we start infilling and keeping up the older parts of the valley. Yes I agree something like an urban growth boundary needs to be instituted although I don't necessarily agree with the idea of it in most places but I don't want the natural beauty of the Las Vegas area to be destroyed more then it has been.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM

34 posts, read 94,651 times
I currently live in Colorado and we are also "hippie minded" with backyard chickens and bees in our urban home. We are currently in the process of relocating to LV. We are pretty versed in the area of LV with family already living there so it doesn't surprise me that there isn't a larger ecofriendly community there. However, there are whole foods and trader joe type stores and farmer markets.
Instead of seeing it as sad that there isn't a bigger community around there, see it as a chance to set a "new" trend here! Start a new wave of change!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 399,819 times
*I meant to say construction went crazy for the past 20 years, not 2 years.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM

243 posts, read 496,266 times
I say take the plunge and move to LV. There is much here that you will enjoy, and also you will find things you don't enjoy. As for the green-indie type of lifestyle, you will definitely not find much of that here. Vegas is a very vain and money focused place. There is probably no other place in the US with as many people spending money on outward appearances, such as clothes, gym, cars (vanity plates anyone?), homes, etc. From my observation, this type of person doesn't mix well with the granolas that hang out at the local farm buying raw milk.

There are some people here who have the same earthy values, but there is no community of them. They tend to keep to themselves, or at least there presence here is overshadowed by every other type of person here. I lean towards the granola side of things myself (my wife buys raw milk straight from the cow - in Arizona) and I am very happy here. I wish there were more fresh food farmers markets, indie music shows, and general free spirited people, but I haven't found much of that yet. I am still very happy here and I am sure OP would be too if they decided to come here.

If you do decide to move here, maybe jetsettr is on to something, and maybe we need to establish this community. I think it can be done if a few people get together.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM

9,953 posts, read 8,441,593 times
^
Really, I'd say just the opposite. Based on the OPs stated desired attributes, Vegas would be the LAST place I'd suggest she move to.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,638,218 times
Actually, the last place I'd suggest would be Salt Lake City. Las Vegas would be the penultimate city on the "don't move" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or