U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM

18 posts, read 60,179 times

Advertisements

I've been living in suburban Vegas for 8 years and my biggest frusteration is the LACK of all the things you are looking for...no sense of community, no gathering places, no downtown (I'm sorry but the Freemont freak show doesn't count, I have children.) The farmers markets sound great online, but very little is grown around here in comparison to other parts of the country. I visited the Ferry Building farmers market in San Fran and was blown away!!

Odd as it sounds, I agree with ScoopLV, that Salt Lake City has much more of the culture that you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,850,060 times
Hippies in Salt Lake?? I didn't see any.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM

10,869 posts, read 13,635,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Hippies in Salt Lake?? I didn't see any.
I didn't either. However, if you go to one of the handful of brew pubs in Salt Lake, you will meet some very interesting people.

SLC would still be the last place I'd ever send a hippie. LV would be the second to last, and Phoenix after that.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM

243 posts, read 496,119 times
Don't think OP is as hippie as everyone is making them out to be. Differences exist between hippie, granola, and just indie. Sounds like OP enjoys the granola/indie type of people/community but it's not #1 on the list. Vegas will be a fine place. There are some likeminded people here, you just have to know where to look. They may not appear granola at first glance.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM

7,671 posts, read 11,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninvegas View Post
The farmers markets sound great online, but very little is grown around here in comparison to other parts of the country.
Every time I see someone mention/complain that little is grown locally, it reminds me of the classic Sam Kinison bit about people living in a desert.

Sam Kinison on World Hunger - YouTube

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,850,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Every time I see someone mention/complain that little is grown locally, it reminds me of the classic Sam Kinison bit about people living in a desert.

Sam Kinison on World Hunger - YouTube
Never seen that before. People just expect too much when moving out here.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
Pass the grain of salt.

Much if not most of the west coast produce is grown in the Central Valley of California...

All desert. There are these places with little water and 1000 feet of top soil.

Add water and vegetable nirvana.

The soil in the LV valley is pretty alkaline...but they do not go together.

For one looking for granola rather than hippy - you can do fine in the RNPs. If you really want we can find you a mid 70s geodesic dome. Not a local community but a well distributed one. Goats and chickens work though.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM

13,472 posts, read 9,593,751 times
You can grow plenty of things out here. You have to amend the soil and it does take water.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,139,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondZen View Post
The plan is to find the area (virtually) that will best suit us, move to that area and rent for a year or so to get to know it. If it's a fit - then we buy. We're definitely not jumping in without a lot of thought and personal experience there.

Thanks for defining valley for me, too! It seems like a pretty vast area. I have definitely considered Henderson due to its proximity to the airport. Ideally, I'd like to be within 45 mins (with or without traffic) to LAS.
Isn't anywhere in the Valley 45 mins or less to the airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
If 45 minutes is your criteria, you could be in Mt. Charleston!

But really, if you don't mind that much of the commute, you might want to look at some of the newer, outlying communities like Aliante, Centennial Hills, Southern Highlands, etc. They are, on average, 5-7 year-old neighborhoods, very safe, and you will get a lot more bang for your buck than you will in an area like Green Valley, and the commute should be around 30 minutes (that's how long it takes me to get from Centennial Hills, which is at the far northwest corner of the Valley, to LAS)
lol...yes, that is what I was thinking.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 21,216 times
Did you decide on a place?

If not have you thought about Palm Springs? It has an airport. I'm considering relocating there (I live near where you are now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or