U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,583,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Las Vegas metro is in the middle third of larger cities. It is, for instance, much better than virtually any city in the rust belt. And if you allow for the tourist population it gets close to the average for large cities.

Henderson by itself is in the best three or five of cities above 100,000.

Unemployment is now at 10.4%. If you are not in the construction industry it is about US average.
So people that move to Las Vagas and think they can get job in the construction industry is going to be out of luck and on the street doing crime? What about trade or working in factory or warehouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,853,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
There has been many threads here in past explaining crime is high in Las Vagas in some areas in Las Vagas and others areas in Las Vagas really low.

Have fun to see top cities with crime . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

Rates per 100,000 people .

Looking at that Cleveland Burglary 2,312.9 , Las Vagas 949.0 and New York 215 and Las Vagas 39 most Burglary on the list.

When you look at robbery Cleveland 746.6 , Detroit 615.7 , Miami 421. Atlanta 403 and Las Vagas 282 , Denver 152 , Colorado Springs 132 , San Diego 124 , Honolulu 93 , El Paso 76 and Plano is the lowest 54.

By that Las Vagas in middle.

When you look at Larceny-theft San Antonio 4,697.2 , St. Louis 4,605.4 , Austin 4,373.5 , Seattle 3,754.3 , Cincinnati 3,733.2 , Memphis 3,728.0 , Portland 3,725.4 , Kansas City 3,440.7 , Buffalo 3,404.8 , Albuquerque 3,325.0 , Atlanta 3,307.0 , Stockton 3,305.6 , Houston 3,269.9 , Miami 3,215.8 , Fort Worth 3,118.0 Colorado Springs 3,029.5 , Minneapolis 3,009.8 , San Francisco 2,920.3 , Dallas 2,766.1 ,Chicago 2,638.4 , Philadelphia 2,561.9 Baltimore 2,546.8 Phoenix 2,461.2 ,Boston 2,329.6 , El Paso 2,226.3 , Tampa 2,151.6 , Denver 2,132.3 , Las Vegas 1,569.5 , Los Angeles 1,438.1 San Diego 1,368.7 New York 1,336.0

By that Larceny-theft is low in Las Vegas.

There has been many threads here in past on is Las Vagas safe or not or what areas has crime and is Las Vagas have high crime but nothing on why crime is it low paying jobs or hard to get jobs.

It is Las VEGAS

Old 12-23-2012, 03:59 PM

17,547 posts, read 34,747,162 times
Yes there have been other threads discussing crime in LV. The links you cite don't always bear out your claim of high crime, as you yourself note.

If there's a connection between high unemployment and the crime rate (and I have not looked to see if there are any statistics or studies on that) it would apply in lots of other cities, including those that have higher crime rates than LV without regard to unemployment. And you can't just look at the numbers and establish cause and effect, either.

I agree with the poster suggesting that drug use fuels a lot of the theft. That's true in other places, too. And no, not every out of work construction worker turns to crime. They find other work, or go elsewhere.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,667,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I watched a documentary about the drug problem in many large cities, and Las Vegas was highlighted as one of the more rampant ones. The documentary explained that where there is high drug use, there is high theft numbers. As to support these drug habits requires a minimum of $100 a day just to maintain their "fix". As it is doubtful that these people are making $300 a day in their day job (if they have one), the only way they can support their drug habit is by stealing all day. It followed a druggie on a typical day, showing who, what and how he stole each day.

Most likely NLVgirl, those CD's went to one more fix for the day. A sad state of affairs, that appears to have no solution in sight. Life for so many families, loved ones and businesses would be so much better if we could get people off drugs. It is a terrible drain on society, and effects everyone in one way or another.

Yeah, junkies are always going to need funds and as long as we still have our version of prohibition going on, the illegal drugs will stay expensive, while you can fund an alcohol habit on about ten bucks a day (provided you don't have good taste in booze)

It is a sad state of affairs. As far as I know, there is only one facility in town that treats the uninsured for addiction. Westcare.

I still do not think that Las Vegas is all that high in crime levels, except DUI. That's purely anecdotal though. There is the chance that I'm just lucky. And mean.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM

637 posts, read 1,722,347 times
I've lived in a good amount of cities around the US and I have felt safer in general in Las Vegas than I did in most other cities I've lived in. I worked in downtown Cincinnati as a valet and saw a lot more crime in person there than I ever have in Las Vegas. I know there is crime in Las Vegas just as there is everywhere but in general I have seen much less here. I hope life doesn't decide to kick me know for posting this.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,583,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, junkies are always going to need funds and as long as we still have our version of prohibition going on, the illegal drugs will stay expensive, while you can fund an alcohol habit on about ten bucks a day (provided you don't have good taste in booze)

It is a sad state of affairs. As far as I know, there is only one facility in town that treats the uninsured for addiction. Westcare.

I still do not think that Las Vegas is all that high in crime levels, except DUI. That's purely anecdotal though. There is the chance that I'm just lucky. And mean.
Does Las Vegas have much drug use ? I have been to some other cities and yes I have seen people deal drugs in public ,people doing drugs in public and even people high in public.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,202,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Yes there have been other threads discussing crime in LV. The links you cite don't always bear out your claim of high crime, as you yourself note.

If there's a connection between high unemployment and the crime rate (and I have not looked to see if there are any statistics or studies on that) it would apply in lots of other cities, including those that have higher crime rates than LV without regard to unemployment. And you can't just look at the numbers and establish cause and effect, either.

I agree with the poster suggesting that drug use fuels a lot of the theft. That's true in other places, too. And no, not every out of work construction worker turns to crime. They find other work, or go elsewhere.
The Las Vegas crime rate has gone down as the unemployment rate went up. So that should take care of the unemployment driven crime thought.

Las Vegas simply has about the crime level you would expect for a city of 2 million. It is somewhat better than many primarily because of ethnic makeup. It is less educated then many cities and does not spend the fortune on law enforcement as does a NYC. So not getting great statistics.

Within the city crime varies over a factor of 1000. The upper suburbs are quite good and the poor neighborhoods much worse. Crime is virtually always driven by demographics.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,667,027 times
Quote:
Does Las Vegas have much drug use ? I have been to some other cities and yes I have seen people deal drugs in public ,people doing drugs in public and even people high in public.
Open drug dealing? Unlikely except in certain (very few) areas of town and you would need to know what you are looking for. Open drug use? Hell no.

High in public- yeah. You just won't necessarily know it.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM

419 posts, read 754,579 times
These kind of posts seem not to be based on any specific comparisons. Saying LV has high crime means nothing. Compared to what? A small town in Wisconsin? I've never experienced any crime in over 30 years of regular visits. My buddy who moved out here over 18 months has experienced no crime - nothing.

The only person I know in LV who has experienced crime had their hood ornament stolen, and didn't even notice it was gone for weeks! lol

You want to see crime? Go spend some time in New Orleans.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,895,326 times
Quote:
In your face, public drug dealing and using? In Vegas? Not likely. Most of what you will see is a couple if maybes, probably, I think I saw, could that be?, did I just see?, should I make that my business? Type stuff.

You have to really really be paying attention to notice anything.

I think half the people on Fremont are on crystal meth but that's just my personal analysis from talking to people and spending time down there.
Never seen anyone do it out in the open though.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas