U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,855,275 times

Advertisements

That map is similar to the one that my section Chief gives out on everyone's initial arrival to the valley.

"Take the map serious" is what he always says.

Posted from Nokia 8210
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,142,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
That map is similar to the one that my section Chief gives out on everyone's initial arrival to the valley.

"Take the map serious" is what he always says.

Posted from Nokia 8210
The current version of the crime map is...

http://www.donohueteam.com/Crime/Bas...rime%20map.gif

That one uses 2011 crime and 2010 populations. Should be good to 2015.

Note the color code is a little different than the earlier map. This time we moved the boundaries of the color to reflect natural breaks...ie two areas very close to the same number would be rated to the better color. So the split is no longer even but it is more representative of reality.

Some things to be aware of...

Many of the zips have quite acceptable areas. It however requires local knowledge to know where they are.

Violent crime occurs mostly on arterials and commercial areas. Burglary and family disturbances tends to be the crime within residential tracts. The problem is not that you will get mugged at home...it is the areas where you go for normal services. So I would expect the crime within a residential areas to be an order of magnitude less than the nearby arterials and commercial areas. A half mile circle is good only if it includes the local commercial zone.

I would think the best way is to use the color coded map to get an idea of where to look and then use crimeview to examine the areas considered.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,142,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Big bucks. He's on a budget. I love that area too.
There are some reasonable lower end homes around there. Some really good fixers for the handy...glorious homes that have run down. McNeil gets down to around 200K and some of the nearby tracts are even better.

School are a problem. I think many in the area use Our Lady of Las Vegas rather than the public schools.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The current version of the crime map is...

http://www.donohueteam.com/Crime/Bas...rime%20map.gif

Violent crime occurs mostly on arterials and commercial areas. Burglary and family disturbances tends to be the crime within residential tracts. The problem is not that you will get mugged at home...it is the areas where you go for normal services. .
And that's what people tend to forget. Maybe if they lived, worked, played, gambled, purchased gas, shopped, went out to eat, did grocery shopping and had a post office all within their gated community, then maybe that would lower the chances of crime happening to them.

Maybe not.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM

625 posts, read 602,147 times
[quote=von949;27466376]For once I would like to see someone chime in about their experience in real Vegas crime.

"I stepped outside of my home and got stabbed 37 times."

"I got car jacked 2 times within 24 hours."

"I was forced to join a gang for protection against another gang in my neighborhood."

You Hardly ever hear these stories. Every now and then on the news maybe. It's usually...

"I saw some homeless guys on the corner."

"Someone asked me for spare change while pumping gas."

"I saw the police at a house in the neighborhood next to mine."

The only crime we have been a victim of is identity theft(my wife). Over 10k in charges with fake credit cards and rental fees. Everything has been resolved pretty much. Nothing out of our pockets. Just a little credit report fixing but nothing a few phones calls and letters didn't fix.

Good ole Vegas crime.

Well let's see...moved here in may. Worked at Nevada conservation corps where gone 1 week, home 1 week. Apartment was broken into twice, all laptops stolen.

Was with a co worker at McDonalds when his laptop was stolen WHILE he was on it(he was connected in the wall right by the exit door). We chased em until they threw laptop down. It was broken.

Walking home one night close to our apt complex, there were gunshots in the complex behind us, watched 2 guys flee the scene. Spotlight helicopters were there within 5 minutes.

Since I've moved from there into a house...my car was stolen while delivering pizza(wallet/phone was in there). Thank god they found my car.

Our street was blocked off one night as there was a manhunt and spotlight helicopters (not sure the crime)

And yesterday 2 guys were sneaking around the house trying to get in the backyard seeing if anyone was home. Didn't know I was there, I yanked the door open and told them to get out of my yard.

Now the apt complex was on the east side, but the house is on the west side above summerlin Pkwy for the record
There is a lot of crime here. But with that said I still enjoy living here. But I am more cautious about my surroundings.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
ok moved here in 1962

Had many things stolen....all by stepson while he was living with us.....

hmmmmmmm 50 years.....not a bad crime record.

Have I observed crime....yep....but no more then any other city....Ive lived in Denver, in Atlantic City, in Toul France [had side mirrors broken off approx 6 times cause we were American....

Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 AM

499 posts, read 870,929 times
I guess we have been very lucky. In almost 4 yrs of living here, our neighborhood has experienced no crime and I live inside the box.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:39 PM

[quote=Bps401;27522531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
For once I would like to see someone chime in about their experience in real Vegas crime.

"I stepped outside of my home and got stabbed 37 times."

"I got car jacked 2 times within 24 hours."

"I was forced to join a gang for protection against another gang in my neighborhood."

You Hardly ever hear these stories. Every now and then on the news maybe. It's usually...

"I saw some homeless guys on the corner."

"Someone asked me for spare change while pumping gas."

"I saw the police at a house in the neighborhood next to mine."

The only crime we have been a victim of is identity theft(my wife). Over 10k in charges with fake credit cards and rental fees. Everything has been resolved pretty much. Nothing out of our pockets. Just a little credit report fixing but nothing a few phones calls and letters didn't fix.

Good ole Vegas crime.

Well let's see...moved here in may. Worked at Nevada conservation corps where gone 1 week, home 1 week. Apartment was broken into twice, all laptops stolen.

Was with a co worker at McDonalds when his laptop was stolen WHILE he was on it(he was connected in the wall right by the exit door). We chased em until they threw laptop down. It was broken.

Walking home one night close to our apt complex, there were gunshots in the complex behind us, watched 2 guys flee the scene. Spotlight helicopters were there within 5 minutes.

Since I've moved from there into a house...my car was stolen while delivering pizza(wallet/phone was in there). Thank god they found my car.

Our street was blocked off one night as there was a manhunt and spotlight helicopters (not sure the crime)

And yesterday 2 guys were sneaking around the house trying to get in the backyard seeing if anyone was home. Didn't know I was there, I yanked the door open and told them to get out of my yard.

Now the apt complex was on the east side, but the house is on the west side above summerlin Pkwy for the record
There is a lot of crime here. But with that said I still enjoy living here. But I am more cautious about my surroundings.
On the east side where? And Summerlin Pkwy where? Major cross streets?

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM

625 posts, read 602,147 times
[quote=von949;27524713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post

On the east side where? And Summerlin Pkwy where? Major cross streets?

Posted from Nokia 8210
East side was Desert Inn/Pecos. Bad area.

Buffalo/Washington-Decent area

Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 PM

5,737 posts, read 12,036,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
Wow! You just crossed off the most vibrant and interesting parts of Vegas. Well, I guess you
can stay in your gated community while the rest of us enjoy all that Vegas has to offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlesq View Post
Some of the nicest houses I have seen here aree inside your box-- around Alta/Rancho
How did I know I would get called out for my map? Did you guys NOT read where I said MOST OF THE BOX IS BAD, NOT ALL!

Alta is a very nice drive between Rancho and Valley View. One place I will never be able to afford and I do know there are other nice areas inside the box like Las Vegas Country Club

The box is a guideline I use for finding more "desirable" locations. Keyword is "guideline" not the end all be all definition of where in Vegas is good and bad, but a ball park idea of whats good and bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas