U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,517,680 times

Advertisements

bek vegas, unlike here is truthful about it's crime stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Relevant story in the RJ this morning...

Homicides on decline in Clark County - News - ReviewJournal.com

Basically observes that homicides have fallen by 50% over the last two years.

So much for bad times driving up crime...at least with respect to murder.
That is interesting. While our crime is declining, Chicago's is increasing. Looks like they will be hitting a new record.

Chicago police confirm 'tragic number' of 500 homicides - Chicago Tribune
Chicago Homicide Rate: Fatal Thursday Shooting Appears To Bring City To Murder Milestone
Chicago police confirm 'tragic number' of 500 homicides - Chicago Tribune
Chicago observes a grim milestone: the 500th murder of 2012 - NY Daily News

I can't believe some people compare LV crime to Chicago's, or any other major city.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek vegas, unlike here is truthful about it's crime stats.
Not sure if sarcastic...

But anyway, for anyone that pays attention to our local media, its almost too easy to not track/remember almost every single murder in the valley. They all just stick out. Probably the fires also. The valley is small.

For instance, the last case started out as a missing girl report that eventually turned into a homocide, about 10 days later.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:08 PM

633 posts, read 862,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Relevant story in the RJ this morning...

Homicides on decline in Clark County - News - ReviewJournal.com

Basically observes that homicides have fallen by 50% over the last two years.

So much for bad times driving up crime...at least with respect to murder.
I read that article this morning as well and immediately thought of this thread. The numbers seem tame compared to numbers I recall reading from other cities around the country so I did a little looking around for Violent Crime statistics for US cities. Googled "Most Violent Cities in America" and many top 10 or top 25 lists appeared and not one of them included Las Vegas on their list. I even found a few top 100 list and again Las Vegas was not listed.

This may have been mentioned before but there is a great interactive map on the LVPD website where you can track the crimes which have occurred across the valley or in your own neighborhood. You can filter by type of crime, date ranges, etc:

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

In our neighborhood we have a condo development about half a mile away that seems to get a little crazy every once in a while. We see the ghetto bird over that way a few times a month with the light on. In the paper or on the crime map you can see there are many incidence of robbery/burglary and drug arrests. It never flows over into our neighborhood and I'm quite certain that better than 90+ percent of these incidents are crimes where the perpetrator and the victim know each other.

A few weeks ago a neighbors house was broken into and jewelry and cash were stolen. The neighbor owns a jewelry store. I am convinced this crime was perpetrated by someone they know and knew the goods they were after when they broke in. The neighbor was on vacation. I believe I heard that the alarm was not set.

Anther incident took place at a house that was recently vacated by a couple who moved away to be with family and was now going to use this house as a rental. A white late model van came around (no markings) at 1:30 on a saturday afternoon and tried to take the A/C units from the side of the house. I was outside and saw the van go buy but could not see what was happening from my yard. A neighbor across the street could see the yard, knew something was up and called the police. I'm sure the thief targeted the house because the whole week prior there was a huge Atlas Van Lines moving truck loading up their belongings.

A house next door has been vacant for a year now but a fellow neighbor parks their car in the driveway. Never heard a peep over there.

Another neighbor friend of ours work themselves up about the "high crime" in our area (which is almost non existent they're retired and just watch way too much TV news). I tried to explain that these were both most likely crimes of opportunity perpetrated by people they know or, the moving truck which tipped them off but they have no interest in hearing it.

As others have mentioned most crime here in LV seem to be crimes of opportunity. A little common sense and preventive measures can do wonders in keeping one from becoming a victim.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM

633 posts, read 862,954 times
I'll add I live in The Lakes (89117) an "older" development built in the mid-80's through the 90's and I go for a 3 mile walk most evenings (10:00pm) through our non-gated community. I occasionally see others of all ages out and about, both men and women.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 PM

413 posts, read 486,239 times
I spent my childhood, much of it, in Las Vegas. My parents would today be referred to as "free range parents." They lived in two different non-gated complexes and for three months we lived on Nellis in the military housing, both complexes were in the shaded dangerous area mentioned above. I rode my beat up Huffy bicycle all over creation and while I did encounter what I later learned were drug dealers, pimps and hookers, at the time I was none the wiser. I did witness a homicide circa 1991 when the gangers took over abandoned housing on Nellis and I disobeyed my mother and rode to the abandoned portion of the military family housing. There I watched as a ganger shot another ganger point blank, most likely over drugs. I dropped to the ground and when the coast was clear ran off. My parents never knew about that incident until I was 21. Watching someone die is nothing like watching someone die in the movies.

I moved to Salt Lake as a teenager and if we were going off of my experience alone here, I'd say Salt Lake City is more dangerous. I watched three people get robbed at gunpoint, watched countless people brandish weapons at each other in the downtown, and there was a homicide next door to the nursing home I worked in. The hotel across from where my dad's employer is headquartered had a ton of homicides one year. It was just down the street from where I worked. At one point I was going to go meet some doll collectors downtown but ended up not going. I was walking around in broad daylight in the area near the Gateway Center when I noticed I was being followed by a bunch of Mexican men. They gained on me and assumed that being white I did not understand them when they spoke Spanish. They spoke of wanting to gang rape the white woman with the doll. Well, I was the only white woman with a doll on that street. I ran up to the Gateway Mall with a large obviously LDS family and stayed in a store in that mall for a very long time - at least two hours - before walking to Front Runner station with a large group of people. There were also tons of car thefts and car break-ins near the University of Utah, the Avenues, and the wealthier side of town one year.

By contrast, in all those years I live din Vegas there were 5 break-ins in either complex and the one homicide I watched as a girl. That was it.

I have had people not from Vegas tell me that they encountered crime there - they were raped, or mugged, or worse, but usually the story is the same: tourist left the strip or Fremont St, was wandering around in the questionable areas of town very late at night while half drunk with paraphernalia that marked them as a tourist (camera out, bag open, Stratosphere tower drink in hand) and acted surprised when some junkie accosted them for their money. I would like to feel sorry for them, I really do, but I personally would never ever walk around at 3AM in a strange city I am not familiar with with my handbag open, half drunk with a $1500 camera around my neck and a tourist drink in my hand. Really, really dumb. Might as well run around with a sign that says "please rob me."

Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,239,745 times
Why does it list the city population at 583,756 in 2010, but the homicides listed is 107 murders and the homicide rate per 100K is 7.6? I've never been a mathematician, but that does not add up.
Could just be that CD messed up.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,635,705 times
They are probably using the homicide percentage based on Metro's jurisdiction and the population based on the City of Las Vegas. Those two pieces of data don't really work together. Metro has jurisdiction over the city of Las Vegas and unincorporated Clark County which encompasses a large portion of the valley, including the Strip. There's no way the population of Metro's jurisdiction is only 583,756. Henderson and North Las Vegas just aren't big enough to make up the other 1.25 million people in the valley.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM

15,371 posts, read 33,813,423 times
because IDIOTS mangle the numbers to make it look the way THEY want it to .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas